Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.107 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Dark Ages: Roman Revival » Mercenaries
Bottom
Topic Subject:Mercenaries
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 24 October 2010 13:15 EDT (US)         
I don't know about you, but for me, one of the things that BI got right was the mercenaries. They were the perfect mix of culture-specific and "mercenary" - you didn't have the Emperor's personal guard hiring themselves out as mercenaries, and nor would you see the generic "Barbarian Mercenaries" of RTW. With DA:RR we want to preserve this trend and update the mercenary roster with more units that have a unique feel and fit the cultures and time period of the Dark Ages. For reference, these are all the mercenaries of BI:

Mercenary Herdsmen
Mercenary Foederati Infantry
Bosphoran Mercenaries
Mercenary Veteranii
Mercenary Gallowglass
Vandal Raider Mercenaries
Mercenary Kerns
Mercenary Bucellarii
Hounds of Culann
Sughdian Warriors
Mercenary Golden Band
Mercenary Sarmatian Archers
Graal Knights
Mercenary Vandal Lancers
Mercenary Alan Nobles
Armored Camel Mercenaries
Camel Raiders
Sarmatian Mercenaries
Moorish Mercenaries
Mercenary Foederati Cavalry
Mercenary Alan Horse Archers
Mercenary Hippo-toxotai
Mercenary Equites Veteranii
Mercenary Wolfhounds
Mercenary Elephants
Mercenary Onagers
Mercenary Ballistae

What are some really unique mercenaries that you can think of that we can add to this list?

Cyclohexane - it's what's for dinner!
AuthorReplies:
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 24 October 2010 13:23 EDT (US)     1 / 107       
Viking Mercenaries!!!

(Sorry, just had to say that. Besides, they are already 'created' as a part of Subrikel's Vikings)

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Rinster
Legionary
posted 24 October 2010 14:18 EDT (US)     2 / 107       
i don't know if this would be possible, but could we do mercenary boats?

other ideas...
mercenary sea-raiders, available along northern coast, and a bit inland.
Thompsoncs
Legionary
posted 25 October 2010 05:19 EDT (US)     3 / 107       
The Balkans should have some gothic mercenary units.
In syria there should be palmyran mercenaries, maybe even arab mercenaries.
In Gaul west gothic mercenaries, Frankish mercenaries. In belgica perhaps saxon raiders.
Sarmatian mercenaries in Britain and north balkan.
Hunnic mercenaries in steppe/north balkan.
Nubians in egypt
berbers/lybians in north africa.
Suebi (or suevi) in north spain.
Germanic mercenaries in pannonia and Noricum

The sassanids ruled over many different cultures. It would be nice to see some on them back as mercenaries

I doubt the hounds of culann would sell themselves as mercenary. I think they will just kill you and take your money. They have no reason besides killing their enemies remember.
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 25 October 2010 06:42 EDT (US)     4 / 107       
While I agree with the ideas above, I think the main struggle here is whether we use them as AoR units or Mercenaries. Keep in mind that both are supposed to have some local taste associated, but in general mercenaries are kind of cooler than AoR units.

"Saxon/Angle/Jutic Mercenaries" [medium/heavy infantry] in "England" (that area) and perhaps the North, representing bands of lordless men, pirates and raiders looking for work in RB, Saxon or Frankish armies.

Frisian Pirates/Raiders, mostly in the North fighting for warlords looking for extra warriors, and get paid well from the process. Should be either medium spearmen, heavy-ish skirmishers, or just average skirmishers.

Mercenary Francisca Cavalry. Medium cavalry with a missile punch. In France, more or less. Vagabonds or deserters banding together, men who'd fight for whoever pays the best.

Einherjar. In Nordic regions. Strong heavy infantry with good morale. Their name means "lone fighters", and they are men who have no fear, men who welcome every fight with delight, and afterwards drink mead like no ordinary man can. Men whose lives truly embody the spirit of the great slain heroes in Odin's corpse-hall, worthy of their title.

Norse-Gaels. In Caledonia and Hibernia. Descendents of Norse settlers and Gaelic natives, ready to fight for the right price. Supporting troops, I think. Chase Cav/ Skirmishers.

Which ones do you like or not like?

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix
Guild of the Skalds, Order of the Silver Quill, Apprentice Storyteller
Battle of Ilipa, 206BC - XI TWH Egil Skallagrimson Award

The word dyslexia was invented by Nazis to piss off kids with dyslexia.

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 10-25-2010 @ 06:43 AM).]

Seneca Monachus
Legionary
posted 25 October 2010 09:23 EDT (US)     5 / 107       
"Saxon/Angle/Jutic Mercenaries" [medium/heavy infantry]

Frisian Pirates/Raiders, mostly in the North fighting for warlords looking for extra warriors, and get paid well from the process. Should be either medium spearmen, heavy-ish skirmishers, or just average skirmishers.

Mercenary Francisca Cavalry.

Einherjar.
Frisian heavy skirmishers i think is the better choice for balance. from not yet existing Magna Frisia

Maybe some more foederati? its 30 year since the WRE fell so some foederatii would still sort off exist
Mercenary Foedrati Alan horse archers (good morele and discipline, worse attack then normal Alan Nobles
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 26 October 2010 04:48 EDT (US)     6 / 107       
Mercenary Foederati Alan horse archers
That sounds... simple

Foederati bands would probably be absorbed into invaders' kingdoms, fighting under new banners, or gone home. I personally don't see that much in them (just average spearmen and light cavalry). If we can think up enough new units, they are definitely the first ones to go on my list.

Speaking of which, here's a list of mercenaries I'd rather not see again:

Mercenary Foederati Infantry

Mercenary Gallowglass - They're cool, but from what I've read on wiki, they didn't belong in the Dark Ages at all.

Hounds of Culann - very ahistorical, according to this.

Mercenary Golden Band - kind of a lame unit IMHO. Perhaps we can replace them with berserker mercs?

Graal Knights - only because we ditched them already in the RB roster, and Pendragon Knights don't strike me as the kind that serve as mercenaries.

Mercenary Foederati Cavalry

And guys, what do you think about the units I put up in Post 4?

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 10-26-2010 @ 04:51 AM).]

Nickel531
Legionary
posted 26 October 2010 07:29 EDT (US)     7 / 107       
I am by no means whating to see the hounds of culann again, but wouldn't they technicly be considered one to the religious units such as a druid of priest? I mean they follow a religion or myth when they fight and are acting as the fellow in the myth who killed the dog in a way. I don't know. Maybe I am just spouting nonsense.

In war, you ethier die hero, or live long enough to see yourself turn into a villan.-Anoynomous
Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 31 October 2010 23:22 EDT (US)     8 / 107       
Merc Vandal Raiders?

Infantry armed with either spear or axe is what I was thinking.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Drakontos
Legionary
posted 01 November 2010 01:25 EDT (US)     9 / 107       
We've already got them, don't we?

PROCRASTINATE NOT · JAMAIS ARRIERE
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 01 November 2010 05:12 EDT (US)     10 / 107       
Merc Vandal Raider is a composite bow-wielding medium skirmisher unit. Strong missile attack, and fair melee skills. I kind of like these medium-skirmishing foot archer units, and would like to see them back in DARR.

Perhaps we can think up some Gaelic merc units in Hibernia, Caledonia and Cambria? Some Gaels/Celts would be bored at home and looking for adventure across the sea and mountains where the Saxons and Britons duked it out. Something not particularly advanced but made up of hardy folk, like Highlanders in M2TW.

Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 01 November 2010 16:44 EDT (US)     11 / 107       
Sounds like a good idea. The way I see it, we have 255 DMB slots, and 500 EDU slots, so we can add plenty of mercenary versions of regular units - this means go wild with the suggestions, folks.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 01 November 2010 18:21 EDT (US)     12 / 107       
I'm quite happy to have AoR and mercenaries overlap quite heavily, although unique mercs are cool too.

Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
(id: AugustusCaesar)
posted 01 November 2010 21:56 EDT (US)     13 / 107       
I propose adding mercenaries from Pagan(Roman) cult's, I know the cult of Mithras was popular with soldiers, and their temples were underground(frowns at BI RTW for making them above ground), meaning they could be hired under the counter as merc.

"An emperor is subject to no one, but god and justice" -Barbarrosa
"The best fortress a prince can possess is the affection of his people" -Niccolo Machiavelli
Drakontos
Legionary
posted 02 November 2010 06:00 EDT (US)     14 / 107       
Frisian spearmen with phalanx, just for fun. :P

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 02 November 2010 07:04 EDT (US)     15 / 107       
Hmmm, my idea of fun includes something like easter eggs or cheats like "oliphaunt". Phalanx troops from a land of pirates and slavers don't quite match that standard

Big Red Rob
Legionary
(id: Feudal Principes)
posted 02 November 2010 15:14 EDT (US)     16 / 107       
How about pirates?
Also, how about maybe Mercenary Roman Auxillary deserters or something like that?
It was after Alarics sack of Rome that Odoacer, a former foederati general became the tacit king of Italy

[This message has been edited by Feudal Principes (edited 11-02-2010 @ 03:35 PM).]

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 02 November 2010 16:30 EDT (US)     17 / 107       
You don't think throwing in a unit which won't come to prominence for hundreds of years is fun?

Frisia seemed the best place for achronistic Flemish Pikes. They could go in Belgica too, of coure. :P

Big Red Rob
Legionary
posted 03 November 2010 18:18 EDT (US)     18 / 107       
Flaming attack pigs. Pigs. On fire. That attack. Name one problem. I dare you.
Surely a funny unit? Could just use wardogs but give them a pig skin. Don't know how the fire thing would work. God I'm bad at this.
Attack bears
Attack wolves
I'm sure you see my theme here.
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 03 November 2010 19:38 EDT (US)     19 / 107       
Frisia seemed the best place for achronistic Flemish Pikes.
Ah, well... Anachronistic, dude. It would be fun, but also very weird.

If you mean Incendiary Pigs from vanilla RTW, and if you're genuinely serious, I don't really see where these pigs can be useful. In RTW they were useful for scaring elephants. If we do include War Elephants as one of our mercenary/ AoR units, then perhaps a counter pig unit would be apt.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 03 November 2010 21:12 EDT (US)     20 / 107       
You're like that deizkeizer chap on TWC, you are. :P Every time we folk with otherwise immaculate spelling and grammar slip up, you pounce.

I jest. I just realised I wrote 'seperate' on another post, too. Depressing thought.

I don't think I'll miss those pigs a great deal if they somehow don't make the cut. *hinthint*

Punic Hebil
Centurion
posted 03 November 2010 22:39 EDT (US)     21 / 107       
Nice joke you got there.

I say get rid of the pigs. The elephants they're suppose to scare should be rare, and as such won't be very meaningful as archers can do a fine job on them anyways.

Besides, I don't think anyone besides maybe the Persians or such will be able to recruit elephants/buy them. North Africa had lost it's Forest Elephant population by this time.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 04 November 2010 02:22 EDT (US)     22 / 107       
Pigs were used in battle once.

They worked.

Millennia later, they come back in our game as a unit.

I say pigs belong on the dinner table, not in our belligerent entertainment.

No pigs.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 04 November 2010 05:32 EDT (US)     23 / 107       
Hounds of Culann must go. Completely wrong. Gallowglasses should stay.

British Warband would be a good basic mercenary infantry unit in Britain: I'll be more than happy to create them from scratch. Spear, sword and long shield. Attack 10, charge 5, defence 14. Schiltrom. Good morale, fast moving. That sort of thing.

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 04 November 2010 05:37 EDT (US)     24 / 107       
Feudal, if you wanna be funny, it's fine, but there's a limit to it too. This is serious work we're doing, and though we all appreciate a good jest in between all that grim talk, it should be limited to a minority of the input/ posts.

No pigs on the field, only on the dinner table. Like the way you put it. Glad we solved that then.

Being a self-appointed grammar is my favorite pastime, Drakon

Let's keep those new ideas pumping out. And what does everyone think of my proposed units? See post 4.

(The Norse thread should be done by now, Terikel, that last question was actually directed at you. Let's get that done folks.)

Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 04 November 2010 16:30 EDT (US)     25 / 107       
Flaming attack pigs? Me like. That reminds me of the mod that someone made for Medieval II that gave the Russians bear cavalry. Flaming pigs - cool concept. I lol'ed. Not so Dark Ages, though :-P.

Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 08 November 2010 14:39 EDT (US)     26 / 107       
Another idea: Shepherd Boys. Readily available and very cheap, but don't make much tactical sense. Basic slingers with very poor morale. They should be available very cheap in Britain and Iberia, more limited and expensive perhaps across most of Europe. Simplifies the AoR system - I mean, you don't recruit boys as soldiers, but you might pick up a few locals who know the terrain when on campaign right?

Get rid of mercenary onagers and ballistae - they're completely wrong, and it defeats the whole strategical thinking behind bringing siege weapons long to a siege or waiting a turn when you get there to build them.

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
Big Red Rob
Legionary
posted 08 November 2010 17:28 EDT (US)     27 / 107       
Yeah definitely not mercenary onagers. One reason is the in-game aspect, another is the historical aspect. Are there any records at all of mercenary teams of onager workers lugging their great machines around the place, building their own or buying/stealing one?
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 16 November 2010 04:20 EDT (US)     28 / 107       
I was rather in favour of keeping the Merc Onagers, because they're extremely convenient. Still, my desire for realistic gameplay and strategic planning outweighs any desire for convenience. Thus I'm also for dropping them.

Shepherd Boys? Mercenaries tend to be cool units, and units like Barbarian Mercenaries would be around the bottom line. Shepherd Boys would be below that line, sorry

Perhaps more Hunnic mercenary units? They dispersed after Attila's death, and I wouldn't be surprised if many of them turned to mercenary work for people like the Empire. (EDIT: and also as regular auxilia) We could even make them available not just around the Danubian regions, but in places where they did historically spread to, like Gaul and Germania, and even the East: Greece and Thrace.

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 11-16-2010 @ 04:24 AM).]

Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 16 November 2010 14:03 EDT (US)     29 / 107       
Shepherd Boys? Mercenaries tend to be cool units, and units like Barbarian Mercenaries would be around the bottom line. Shepherd Boys would be below that line, sorry
Why aren't you sucking up to me? Is my name not a sufficiently bright shade of green?

Ahem you're just displaying the old-fashioned prejudice that countryfolk aren't as intelligent as city-dwellers. Can we just go with this for the time being, and we'll see if we like the finished product at the end? Shepherd Boys may be a lame name I grant you.

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
Kilos of Thermon
Legionary
posted 16 November 2010 16:21 EDT (US)     30 / 107       
HESSIANS!!! haha just kidding. I think there should be what BI was lacking, meaning merc Huns. Maybe they could be lancer cavalry?

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Cattle die, kinsmen die, the self must also die. I know one thing that never dies: the fate of the honored dead. Hávamál, Gestaţáttr, #77.

[This message has been edited by Kilos of Thermon (edited 11-16-2010 @ 04:28 PM).]

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 17 November 2010 04:14 EDT (US)     31 / 107       
There are limits to a man's shoe-shining capacities, even GKA's.

Yes, alright, they can be on the list for the time being. It's not really a very long list at the moment anyway. Yes the name definitely sucks

Let's get a quick one up for reference and direction:

British Warband - roughly "England" - *to be equipped, armed and supplied by the warlord Edorix* (thunderous applause)
Einherjar - Norse homelands
Frisian Pirates - North Sea regions
Angle/ Jutic Mercenaries [Heavy Infantry] - "England"
Mercenary Francisca Cavalry - Northern Gaul, where the Franks started in.
Mercenary Vandal Raiders - Balkans
Shepherd Boys - Cheap in Britain and Spain, expensive in rest of Europe
Hunnic Mercenaries [Heavy Javelin-Swordsmen] - Northern Greece, Northern Gaul (the ones who dispersed to other parts and settled. I figured they'd adapt to the heavy infantry style of warfare. However this does make them very similar to Roman legionaries. You guys?)
Mercenary Hunnic Cavalry [Heavy Horse Archers] - Danubian regions
Viking Mercenaries - Major ports? (Haithabu, Lundene, Samarobriva, Valentia, Genua, Ostia, Carthage, Constantinople, Chersonesos) and other major Viking towns? (referred to this map)
*Merc Gallowglasses - why should they stay?

EDIT: Updated, Terikel.

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 11-17-2010 @ 09:39 AM).]

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 17 November 2010 04:57 EDT (US)     32 / 107       
Don't forget mercenary Vikings.

Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 17 November 2010 09:52 EDT (US)     33 / 107       
I think that except for the ones we struck off definitively, we should keep the bulk of the original list. Otherwise much of the map will be empty.

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 20 November 2010 08:11 EDT (US)     34 / 107       
Mercenary Herdsmen - Steppes, Balkans, Vandal Africa
Bosphoran Mercenaries - Black Sea regions (NW parts)
Mercenary Veteranii - as they were
Mercenary Gallowglass - ...
Mercenary Kerns - My idea is to change them into Norse-Gaels, or Gaelic Mercenaries. Support troops.
Mercenary Bucellarii - as they were
Sughdian Warriors - as they were?
**Mercenary Sarmatian Archers
Mercenary Vandal Lancers - as they were
Mercenary Alan Nobles - as they were
Armored Camel Mercenaries
*Camel Raiders
**Sarmatian Mercenaries
**Moorish Mercenaries
Mercenary Alan Horse Archers - as they were
Mercenary Hippo-toxotai - as they were
Mercenary Equites Veteranii - as they were
Mercenary Elephants
British Warband - England
Einherjar - Norse homelands
Frisian Pirates - North Sea regions
Angle/ Jutic Mercenaries [Heavy Infantry] - England
Mercenary Francisca Cavalry - N Gaul
Vandal Raider Mercenaries - Balkans
Shepherd Boys - Cheap: Britain and Spain, Expensive: rest of Europe
Hunnic Mercenaries [Heavy Javelin-Swordsmen] - N Greece, N Gaul
Mercenary Hunnic Cavalry [Heavy Horse Archers] - Danubian regions
Viking Mercenaries - major ports (trading regions)

*are these too generic?
**are these outdated?

EDIT: No Armored Cams & Eles

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 11-22-2010 @ 03:37 AM).]

Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 21 November 2010 05:15 EDT (US)     35 / 107       
I think armored camels and merc eles should probably go too if no-one objects, then I'm happy.

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 21 November 2010 05:46 EDT (US)     36 / 107       
I don't think they are historically accurate, to be honest.

Armored camels and mercenary elephants would have relatively large logistical requirements attached to them. Camels not, but the armor of them would require maintenance and a smithy, things which are tied down. Elephants would require a training base otherwise the beasts would be sinple animals, not trained killers.

The occasional military unit might go rogue, but if it did not find work fast, the animals would die and the unit itself would disband. Plus elephants were on their way out as battle units. Too many nations had histories of defeating them with spers, loud noides, etc. Why pour lots of gold and silver into making a unit of killer animals that can be made to rampage through your own troops?

So I vote we do away with them.

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 11-21-2010 @ 05:53 AM).]

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 21 November 2010 05:55 EDT (US)     37 / 107       
I think armored camels and merc eles should probably go too if no-one objects, then I'm happy.
Hmmm you're easy to upset

Big Red Rob
Legionary
posted 21 November 2010 14:21 EDT (US)     38 / 107       
No elephants or camels.
Punic Hebil
Centurion
posted 21 November 2010 16:52 EDT (US)     39 / 107       
Agreed. No armored camels or elephants, but perhaps a regular, untrained unit of Berber Nomads? Simple camel riders which really would only be useful for scaring horses than fighting.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 21 November 2010 18:16 EDT (US)     40 / 107       
Alright. Berber Nomads, in NW Africa, sound OK. But don't we have Camel Raiders already?

Punic Hebil
Centurion
posted 21 November 2010 19:00 EDT (US)     41 / 107       
Dang, forgot them. Perhaps Camel Raiders would be Arabia while Berber Nomads be NW Africa?

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 22 November 2010 03:40 EDT (US)     42 / 107       
That could work, though if we're trying to make a Berber-related merc unit, why not make something less... generic and basic? I'm thinking along the lines of Numidian Mercenaries or the like.

Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 23 November 2010 14:03 EDT (US)     43 / 107       
I'm inclined to agree... I don't think use of camels in battle was really that widespread, I'd like to cut as many camel units as possible really. So shall we call these Moorish Cavalry Mercenaries?

So we've got:

Mercenary Herdsmen - Steppes, Balkans, Vandal Africa
Bosphoran Mercenaries - Black Sea regions (NW parts)
Mercenary Veteranii - as BI
Mercenary Gallowglass - Britain
Mercenary Kerns - Ireland/Scotland
Mercenary Bucellarii - as BI
Sughdian Warriors - as BI
Mercenary Sarmatian Archers - Steppes
Mercenary Vandal Lancers - as BI
Mercenary Alan Nobles - as BI
Sarmatian Mercenaries - Steppes
Moorish Infantry Mercenaries - NW Africa
Moorish Cavalry Mercenaries - NW Africa
Mercenary Alan Horse Archers - as BI
Mercenary Hippo-toxotai (this Greek name annoys me, can we just call them horse-archers and be done with it? That's what the thing means) - as BI
Mercenary Equites Veteranii - as BI
British Warband - Britain
Einherjar - Norselands
Frisian Pirates - NE Gaul, NW Germania
Englisc Mercenaries - England
Mercenary Francisca Cavalry - N Gaul
Vandal Raider Mercenaries - Balkans
Shepherd Boys - Europe from Atlantic to Steppes (Britain & Spain very cheap)
Hunnic Mercenaries - Balkans, Steppes
Hunnic Cavalry Mercenaries - Balkans, Steppes
Viking Mercenaries - regions with major ports (this is stupid. We should just make them readily available in the Norse homelands, appearing occasionally around the Atlantic, North Sea and Baltic, and very rare in regions where they were known to raid but only occasionally.)

Good?

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 11-23-2010 @ 02:14 PM).]

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 23 November 2010 18:41 EDT (US)     44 / 107       
Hunnic Mercenaries - Balkans, Steppes
Hunnic Cavalry Mercenaries - Balkans, Steppes
My idea was to represent the spread/ dispersing of the Huns after Attila's death. Some stayed around the Danube and Balkans, some stayed in Germania, Gaul, Northern Greece, etc and even adapted to local styles of warfare: like infantry-based warfare in Germania.

Thus I'd make the Hun Mercs infantry and move them to the areas mentioned above.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 24 November 2010 01:48 EDT (US)     45 / 107       
Viking Mercs- these are different than Vikings from faction. Faction Vikings are recruitable from high-tier ports. The recruiting of faction Vikings simulates the recruiting of Vikings into the warhost already present in ports for trading.

Viking Mercs, as in the Download, are found in the Mercenary Pools for Britannia, Gaul, Germania, and the Baltic area. In other words, places where a shipwrecked crew or breakaway warband could wander.

Faction Vikings have 1 hit point, 25 men +1 officer.
Viking Mercs, as in the Download, have 2 hit points, 19 men+1 officer. This was done because you cannot retrain mercs.

I play on Huge scale normally. There, Vikings have 101 men, with mercs 77. Everyone they fight has between 161 and 241, making for a pretty decent match-up.

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 11-25-2010 @ 02:28 AM).]

Big Red Rob
Legionary
posted 25 November 2010 03:58 EDT (US)     46 / 107       
Are we pretty much done with Mercs now?
(typing with gloves on is hard)
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 25 November 2010 04:19 EDT (US)     47 / 107       
I doubt we're even close. The Roman mercs are pretty much unaltered (among many other cultures' mercs), and I'm pretty sure I can come up with new ideas about other factions' (cultures') mercs as we enter discussions on new factions.

About Viking Mercs, you're talking about undersizing them from the Norse Vikings, like a 30% discount?

What does everyone think of my Hunnic mercenaries idea?

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 25 November 2010 05:46 EDT (US)     48 / 107       
Viking Mercs are smaller bands, but hardier. That second hit point helps keep them alive, but to compensate for this I lowered the number of them.

Huns did serve as mercenaries in other armies. Aetius used them, just to name one general. But the mercenaries were all horse-archers, light cavalry, and the like.

One of the biggest weaknesses of the Hunnic army was its lack of infantry. The Huns themselves literally lived in the saddle. The infantry attested in battle reports were almost non-Hunnic- Alans, Gepids, etc. So, historically speaking, I definitely agree to Hunnic mercenaries but NOT make them infantry.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 25 November 2010 09:57 EDT (US)     49 / 107       
I think a lot of people are gonna go wtf at the Viking Mercs' 2 hitpoints - something normally granted to uber units like Spartans. I prefer keeping Viking Mercs less undermanned, and at 1 hitpoint only - unless we're talking about 77 Terikel Grayhairs, in which case I'd give them, like, 77 hitpoints.

Alright, so the Huns themselves didn't adapt to infantry warfare en masse. In that case, perhaps we can keep the Hunnic Merc unit as a single heavy HA unit, but spread them between the Danube and N Gaul, NW Germania.

Some Alan migrants in Gaul would also be historically attested, as they did move there and serve for money.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 25 November 2010 11:26 EDT (US)     50 / 107       
Alans ain't Huns.

EDIT:
Also, when Vikings showed up in the 700's to raid England, and arrows and swords bounced off of them, a lot of English were saying wtf? as well. (triple layer chainmail has a tendency to do that).

Granted this is earlier, but when you have Gaius Marius popping up in 249 BC as happens often in RTW, a little early is hardly a point to worry about.

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 11-25-2010 @ 11:35 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames