You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Dark Ages: Roman Revival
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.243 replies, Sticky
Total War Heaven » Forums » Dark Ages: Roman Revival » Dark Ages: Roman Revival Map - General Discussion
Bottom
Topic Subject:Dark Ages: Roman Revival Map - General Discussion
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5  Next Page »
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 13 January 2011 10:14 EDT (US)         
Prototype (v0.1)

Proposed revision v0.11

1-Romano-British (Roman, Christian)
2-Franks (Barbarian, Christian)
3-Visigoths (Germanic, Arian)
4-Saxons (Barbarian, Christian)
5-Alemanni (Germanic, Germanic Pantheon)
6-Burgundians (Germanic, Germanic Pantheon)
7-Western Roman Empire (Roman, Christian)
8-Ostrogoths (Germanic, Arian)
9-Illyrians (Barbarian, Christian)
10-Venedae (Barbarian, Arian)
11-Gepidae (Barbarian, Hunnic Pantheon)
12-Huns (Hunnic, Hunnic Pantheon)
13-Alans (Barbarian, Arian)
14-Sassanids (Eastern, Zoroastrian)
15-Vandals (Barbarian, Christian)
16-Berbers (Berber, Berber Pantheon)
17-Norsemen (Germanic, Germanic Pantheon)
18-Eastern Roman Empire (Roman, Christian)

2 Emergent Factions:
19-Copts (Eastern, Christian)
20-Caliphate (Eastern, Muslim)

Current prototype (v2.0) :

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 10-07-2012 @ 11:04 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 11 January 2012 21:54 EDT (US)     201 / 243       
Unfortunately, I got distracted by a movie I was watching, and couldn't get anything done. Sorry guys. Will definitely be able to get something done this weekend. But then I've got exams next week, so may not be able to do much.

Death is a (vastly) preferable alternative to communism.
"Idiocy knows no national or cultural borders. Stupidity can strike anyone, anywhere." -- Terikel

[This message has been edited by Agrippa 271 (edited 02-09-2012 @ 09:18 PM).]

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 02 February 2012 21:25 EDT (US)     202 / 243       
Ok, I've finished most of western Europe, will be able to get Eastern Europe and Italy along with (hopefully) some of North Africa done this weekend. Sorry its taking me so long guys. I'm fairly busy right now, but the good news is I should have much more time in a few weeks, as soon as wrestling season ends.

"Idiocy knows no national or cultural borders. Stupidity can strike anyone, anywhere." -- Terikel
Alpha211
Legionary
posted 14 February 2012 16:28 EDT (US)     203 / 243       
I'm Just wondering if a small amount of African continent expansion would be a good idea?
If one or two more provinces were added then it could give the north African located factions a bit of maneuverability
because if it could give the caliphate somewhere more to expand or the copts an more area to settle etc.

(I don't mind if this is declined, it may be too much work for a minor game addition)
Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 14 February 2012 19:22 EDT (US)     204 / 243       
I don't know. Maybe, Maybe not. The problem is, the Arabs never expanded into the really deep interior of North Africa. They kind of stuck to the coast, were all of the money was. In any case, it already looks like the Caliphate is gonna be a power house, so giving them more potential lands to conquer from the relatively weak Berbers would make them a little too strong. We are expanding the map significantly to the north and to the east, though. Thanks for the suggestion. It's good to see somebody else taking some interest, other than the usual guys (occasionally) and myself.

This could always be something for a provincial campaign. But we'll leave that for later. This mod has taken long enough to get out of the discussion stage of development as is.

Good news is, I have a five-day weekend coming up, and if I don't get anything on these maps done by then, you all have permission to punish me cruelly for my lack of work ethic.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 15 February 2012 01:55 EDT (US)     205 / 243       
The problem with expanding Africa would be that only in the far east of Africa- Sudan, Ethiopia, and that area was populated enough to make it worth setting up provinces. The vast majority of the land showing up to their west would be the sahara- lots and lots of sand, but very little in the way of resources, population, or even water.

Expanding the map north gains a bit more arable and populated lands to the west and center, but vast stretches of nothing to the east. Same problem, but more water.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Alpha211
Legionary
posted 15 February 2012 02:20 EDT (US)     206 / 243       
Yh, it may be a problem if we make even more provinces to gain wealth from for the caliphate (and probably the districts in north africa would stay in the village / town stages)
Also the issue of population is a problem
Expansion to the north & eastern map expansion should be enough

P.S. Thanks Agrippa, Ill try to keep my discussion up
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 15 February 2012 02:46 EDT (US)     207 / 243       
Hereby the remaining areas:

Eastern Europe:

Central Europe:

Redone MidEast:

And the world in general:

Alpha211
Legionary
posted 15 February 2012 12:18 EDT (US)     208 / 243       
Yep, those map designs are good
I like the look of the general province layout too
Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 15 February 2012 22:43 EDT (US)     209 / 243       
Ok, I will try and get some done this weekend. Let's try and get some action going.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 16 February 2012 02:08 EDT (US)     210 / 243       
I count 98 regions, including the Sea. Vanilla has 100, and I think the cap is 200.

Can someone how brain works better than mine check the cap limit? And if so, the map is ready to be subdivided to give us more worlds to conquer....

Also, the terrain map of Skåne will have to be modified- I know of only two places where one can board a boat from Sweden, and both of them are in the northern province.

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 02-16-2012 @ 02:10 AM).]

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 16 February 2012 05:10 EDT (US)     211 / 243       
Pretty sure it's 200, including the sea - and thus for all intents and purposes 199.

PROCRASTINATE NOT · JAMAIS ARRIERE
Alpha211
Legionary
posted 16 February 2012 12:09 EDT (US)     212 / 243       
I count around 89 - 95 (may be wrong) regions
I think the more populated areas (and areas most contested?) should have some smaller provinces added.
However does everyone not want tiny regions in conjunction?
What I mean is that a large province is split into many smaller provinces
By all means add more provinces but I believe that more than say 135 provinces would result in the map being filled with tiny regions, I for one would not like that.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 16 February 2012 13:01 EDT (US)     213 / 243       
Add 4 to my count- I forgot to add Londinium, Rome, Byzantium, and Antioch as their own areas.

That's 103, counting the Sea and whatever I forgot.

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 16 February 2012 21:20 EDT (US)     214 / 243       
What do you mean, the terrain map?

Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 17 February 2012 00:44 EDT (US)     215 / 243       
He's talking about the map_ground_types file in the Base folder

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 17 February 2012 02:07 EDT (US)     216 / 243       
Yes.

Mesopotamia- we can divide this into parts, with Seleucia as the city in one, and maybe Babylon in the other.

We can also divide the desert, though conquering a vast strech of sand at a single stroke is not as boring as plodding through the desert to siege village after village after boring village. If we do decide to divide, at least let us put the cities of the province near one another that they may be quickly conquered. The most boring phase of any of my campaigns is always the plodding through the frikkin desert for years to siege tiny village after tiny village.

Alpha211
Legionary
posted 17 February 2012 02:25 EDT (US)     217 / 243       
I think dividing up Mesopotamia is a good idea, I like the idea of having both those cities in the game rather than just one

Yh, the desert too is an aspect. I think divide the desert up into various provinces so there is not a swift take over of the whole area but not too much time taken on "siegeing" the population centers.
Problem is wasn't the arabian desert less populated at that time? Villages and towns were the most likely centers rather than cities (from what I recall).
Are we expanding eastward so some Arabia coastline appears (not the eastern but the southern)?
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 17 February 2012 06:27 EDT (US)     218 / 243       
That's where balancing comes into play.

We can probably slice off a chunk of the western desrt for Petra or whatever city was there, but historically the desert was just that- deserted. Wide swath of nothing but sand. It occupies a lot of space, but had very little of anything else.

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 17 February 2012 13:00 EDT (US)     219 / 243       
I do agree that there should be some of the southern Arabian Peninsula. Maybe we can have the Caliphate start off there, with very little to begin with but a lot of potential. But I think we are going with the horde idea, aren't we?

Punic Hebil
Centurion
posted 17 February 2012 16:44 EDT (US)     220 / 243       
We can always make a Wilderness province, like I have in my mod. Basically you make a province that will be uninhabited, and will encompass all the regions that were very sparsely populated, like the Sahara and middle of the Arabian peninsula.

This is how ones does it. You make a new province, call it Wilderness for the region, and whatever you want for the city. You then place the city in the corner of the map, and change the ground type for the area around the city to low_mountains (this could be changed to another impassable one, but it's what I used)

You can then use that same province color for any area you want, they do not have to be connected. I have the Sahara, Arabia, and part of the Steppes as Wilderness in my mod.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Alpha211
Legionary
posted 18 February 2012 02:12 EDT (US)     221 / 243       
Wilderness province, like it
I think that is what we need for the desert, Its not like the settlement is going to be of any use, Whats a desert town or village going to provide that a ERE or Sassanid province can't?
I think though we should still have 1 small settlement in there for the populated part of the desert (aka Petra).
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 18 February 2012 04:43 EDT (US)     222 / 243       
I am personally opposed to unconquerable regions. They exist, and because they exist, once you opt to go on from the long campaign your game will never end because you cannot conquer that last province.

Plus, you cannot put up watchtowers in lands you do not own, making the Wilderness one really nice hiding places for bandits, brigands, and enemy armies.

Making the city conquerable avoids that. making it rebel allows you to use the color in more than one place.

That would be my preferred solution.

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 02-19-2012 @ 05:40 AM).]

Alpha211
Legionary
posted 19 February 2012 03:24 EDT (US)     223 / 243       
Yh, I see what you mean terikel
Does anyone know if unconquerable settlement properties can be changed?
Are you able to edit the Bandit spawn rate, Watchtower ability? Also can you change the long campaign to not include that settlement as a target?
Drakontos
Legionary
posted 19 February 2012 18:29 EDT (US)     224 / 243       
Bandit spawn rate can be edited, but will apply to all regions. Watchtowers can't be changed. And by long campaign Terikel means 'conquer the entire map' in which case no, you can't remove it from the list.

Frankly, it's easy enough to give each 'wilderness' region a settlement of its own, on the fringes. I.e. Mecca for Arabia, something towards Mauritania/just south of the Atlas mountains for the Sahara and some arbitrary settlement 'towards' the centre of the map up in the Steppes.

PROCRASTINATE NOT · JAMAIS ARRIERE
Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 20 February 2012 12:41 EDT (US)     225 / 243       
If anything, Mecca is going to be important to the Muslims, it is their holiest city. So, possibly we may want to make it a prize worth having.

I think Terikel is right. A Wilderness region is a good idea, but it isn't practical, and you can never complete the long campaign.

Alpha211
Legionary
posted 20 February 2012 12:43 EDT (US)     226 / 243       
Ok, editing is not an option
Well I agree that the ability of achieving a long campaign is better than having a non-conquerable settlement. If we can give arabia a more populated coastal settlement (rather than an in desert village) I have no problem with that.

In that case can we agree that non-conquerable settlements are off the list?
Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 24 February 2012 16:42 EDT (US)     227 / 243       
I can.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 25 February 2012 04:24 EDT (US)     228 / 243       
It is so agreed.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 01 March 2012 01:49 EDT (US)     229 / 243       
Now that we have the provinces plotted out, we should hop on naming them and choosing the city for each.

Britannia is pretty much cut and dried- its in the thread.

Western Europe, to include Spain, have their provinces set. We do need to choose cities, though, and if two important cities fall within the same province, divide the province into East Bumpoke and West Bumpoke, for example, or Upper Slobonia and Lower Slobonia, to be like the other Slobs.

Italy was just diced up to make the Roman Revival bit not a push-over for the Roman player.

There are a lot of provinces, however, with simply the name of the owner (Rebels, etc). These need work.

Alpha211
Legionary
posted 07 March 2012 11:30 EDT (US)     230 / 243       
Yh, it seems to be going a little slow here

just wondering are we featuring theminskyra here?
will Amazons be a minor rebel faction.

Well im willing to put forward the balkans provinces, are we ok there? or shall I name them?
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 07 March 2012 13:21 EDT (US)     231 / 243       
Three of the Balkan provinces are named- Dalmatica, Illyria, and Thrace. Tentatively Aetolia for northern Greece (or was it Attica?) and Peloponnesus for southern Greece.

I put in no cities, so figure out which Balkan cities were the top within those provinces and you can add them in. Note- Sparta is probably ghost town by then.

Alpha211
Legionary
posted 09 March 2012 03:03 EDT (US)     232 / 243       
Yep ok, ill get on it

Yes i agree, it suffered (Sparta) a visigoth raid and slavic migration, I think it was sacked too. Some desendants survived as far as i know. But they were not like the BC Spartans, I think they lived on in shame for their fallen city

Edit: I found a list of major cities in Greece that were existing in 500AD (Includes Macedonia)

Corinth - Corinth Area
Athens - Athens Area
Nicopolis - Thermos Area
Dyrrachium - Appolonia Area
Thessalonica - Thessalonica area
Serdica - Larissa Area

(No infomation on 500AD Laconian cities apart from Sparta)

Do you need more?

[This message has been edited by Alpha211 (edited 03-10-2012 @ 02:23 AM).]

justinius
Legionary
posted 06 October 2012 07:34 EDT (US)     233 / 243       
Hi,
If you can't be bothered to make the map bigger why don't you use the IBFD map?

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=rtw+ibfd+map&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rlz=1G1DSGQ_ENUK462&biw=1843&bih=865&tbm=isch&tbnid=Wj1jJjTiLYIheM:&imgrefurl=http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=385411&docid=tLfs9j1MhcPhzM&imgurl=http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/7210/mapcompositeos0.jpg&w=510&h=312&ei=av5vUKiyHKKZ0QXl-ICwCA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=511&vpy=419&dur=799&hovh=175&hovw=287&tx=173&ty=115&sig=117310529034710769183&page=1&tbnh=101&tbnw=165&start=0&ndsp=48&ved=1t:429,r:20,s:0,i:138

here's the map but you could add your own Provence boundaries to it. If you use this map you should make the persian empire the size it was (huge) but in the far east add the Ephthalites (or white huns) and start them off with loads of armies because in real life the Ephthalites brought the persian empire to its knees. Just an idea and trying to be helpful.

[This message has been edited by justinius (edited 10-06-2012 @ 07:44 AM).]

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 06 October 2012 08:31 EDT (US)     234 / 243       
Here is what we have so far, from post 207:

The world in general:

We had considered other maps, or stretching this one to include more area, but a lot of what is outside this map is either desert, uninhabited, steppe and thus a bit of both, frozen north and thus not very populous, or Persian, which strengthens them and only them. Seeing as how they were gone relatively quickly into the gametime (we start at 500 AD), strengthening them is not an option. In fact, in the threads, we discussed ways to weaken them so that they don't simply crush the Caliphate when it emerges near them.

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 10-06-2012 @ 08:31 AM).]

justinius
Legionary
posted 06 October 2012 12:13 EDT (US)     235 / 243       
Cool looking map.
The WRE looks hard but fun to play as
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 06 October 2012 14:21 EDT (US)     236 / 243       
The powerhouses of the game look to be the Ostrogoths and the ERE, with the Visigoths coming in a strong second. we tried (see the threads) to make them not so dominating, and to boost up the lesser factions in order to balance the game.

Hopefully someone can translate the drawing into a game map. It took a long time to work out all the quirks and inaccuracies to get something similar to how the world was then. Luckily we are using an alternate 500 AD, so do not have to be so dmaned picky over every little detail...

justinius
Legionary
posted 07 October 2012 04:19 EDT (US)     237 / 243       
Are the Franks going to be powerful like in real life? You should make the Berbers become really powerful as well and over run spain and the middle east.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 07 October 2012 04:46 EDT (US)     238 / 243       
The Franks will be starting off with strong infantry and normal cavalry, and as they progress, they will shift over to strong cavalry and weak infantry. Sort fo like what they did in real life.

This is all explained in the faction thread.

Basically, at this point, we have examined all the factions and decided on a map. The next step is to produce the map and work out its kinks, while we decide on the stats of the various units. And create the various buildings, attributes, ancillaries, etc.

You are joining up a bit after most, so you have a lot of catch-up reading to do to come up to speed.

justinius
Legionary
posted 07 October 2012 06:06 EDT (US)     239 / 243       
Ok,
Weres the faction thread?
Punic Hebil
Centurion
posted 07 October 2012 07:31 EDT (US)     240 / 243       
Sassanids
Visigoths
Burgundians[
WRE
Gepids
Alans
Berbers
Lombards
Coptics
Vandals
Caliphate
ERE
Romano-Britons
Huns
Ostrogoths
Alemanni
Norsemen
Saxons
Franks

Tell me if I forgot some...

justinius
Legionary
posted 07 October 2012 08:19 EDT (US)     241 / 243       
Venedae? are you having celts?

[This message has been edited by justinius (edited 10-07-2012 @ 08:24 AM).]

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 07 October 2012 10:59 EDT (US)     242 / 243       
The Veneti were a Celtic tribe conquered by Gaius Julius Caesar.

The Venedae were the forerunners of the Slavs.

To find the faction threads, use the search function in the forum listing, at the bottom. In the Subject field, type in The, then press search.

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 10-07-2012 @ 11:19 AM).]

justinius
Legionary
posted 07 October 2012 11:41 EDT (US)     243 / 243       
Ment the picts/celts
Are you having the avars (a major nomad tribe)?
Thanks
By the way I've catching up on reading today and yesterday (I am ill) and was just wandering if anyone could tell me what needs doing and what is done please (how long is there left?). and is there an updated map of the positions of all the factions like on the map at the top?
Thanks

[This message has been edited by justinius (edited 10-27-2012 @ 04:58 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames