Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Dark Ages: Roman Revival » Sexiest Faction So Far
Bottom
Topic Subject:Sexiest Faction So Far
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 11 March 2011 02:19 EDT (US)         
Hey guys, this is just a semi-formal thread for us to just chill out in and talk about less... grim things, considering that we haven't been all that talkative of late. I was hoping to stir up enthusiasm for this project once again right here.

So, after nearly 7 months of discussions ("Gods I never noticed!"), the innovative and ingenuous TWH community has hammered out rudimentary (or actually quite advanced ones in a few cases) drafts for 8 factions to-date. [wild applause and exultant whooping and whistling] They are:

1. The Romano-British
2. The Franks
3. The Alemanni
4. The Saxons
5. The Norse
6. The Ostrogoths
7. The Huns
8. The Sassanids (good to close again)
9. The Visigoths (it is done, by the way)
10. The Western Roman Empire (in progress)

Methinks I am going to try out either the Romano-British or the Franks first - the RB because I want to kick the Saxon land-grabbing buggers all the way back to their ancestral holes, and the Franks because I want to sate my empire-making lust with a transitioning military - but which faction/s do you think look/s like the juiciest to play so far?

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix
Guild of the Skalds, Order of the Silver Quill, Apprentice Storyteller
Battle of Ilipa, 206BC - XI TWH Egil Skallagrimson Award

The word dyslexia was invented by Nazis to piss off kids with dyslexia.

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 03-11-2011 @ 03:59 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Drakontos
Legionary
posted 11 March 2011 05:07 EDT (US)     1 / 9       
Huns and RBs. If I remember correctly, they both have challenging starting positions and rather limited rosters.

My style of play! Other factions... they all have something I'm not a fan of.

PROCRASTINATE NOT ˇ JAMAIS ARRIERE
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 11 March 2011 06:29 EDT (US)     2 / 9       
So far I think the Alemanni and the Norse are intriguing.

The Alemanni have one of the worst starting positions- making for a tough uphill battle to survive the Frankish onslaught or an expanding WRE.

The Norse start off relatively weak, and have far to go before they can unify their realm to open up a kick-ass roster. Plus the ancestral bit...

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 11 March 2011 22:01 EDT (US)     3 / 9       
RB, Franks and the Norse seem the coolest so far for myself. But that's because we haven't done the Vandals yet

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Crownjumper
Legionary
posted 12 March 2011 08:29 EDT (US)     4 / 9       
Norse

Conclusions are the point where you got tired of thinking.
Alpha211
Legionary
posted 13 March 2011 03:39 EDT (US)     5 / 9       
I think the franks would be quite good to play as (for obvious reasons)

And the norse should be good to play as too
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 13 March 2011 06:11 EDT (US)     6 / 9       
Hopefully we can figure something out to make the Sassanid starting territories more interesting to play with. Their roster is certainly very advanced and well-rounded, not to mention "well-researched and thought-out" by a certain butt-whacking general... So no problem with the software there. According to historical timelines the Sassanid Empire was on the verge of breaking the longest peace ever held with Rome by 500 - so a couple field armies from both sides maneuvering about the Euphrates frontier could be good.

I am also quite excited by the prospect of playing the Visigoths, partly because of their rich native mercenary/AoR selection drawn from the diverse Spanish peoples there, as well as the fact that their tech tree contains some very interesting, exclusive upgrades. Not to mention the easter eggs, hmmmm? But the Ostrogoths on the other hand seem relatively dull, except for the start where you get great leaders like Theodoric and perhaps an alliance with the Visigoths to play with... And the Roman resurgence on your hands, of course.

Speaking of which, it is time we move on with the WRE, and perhaps open the discussions on the... Burgundiones?

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix
Guild of the Skalds, Order of the Silver Quill, Apprentice Storyteller
Battle of Ilipa, 206BC - XI TWH Egil Skallagrimson Award

The word dyslexia was invented by Nazis to piss off kids with dyslexia.

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 03-13-2011 @ 06:29 AM).]

Kilos of Thermon
Legionary
posted 14 March 2011 21:32 EDT (US)     7 / 9       
Norse and Huns.

A) My favorite factions from History.

B) I liked the BI Huns anyway, and the revamped version seems awesome.

C) Norse unit roster seems fitting, and they have my kind of playstyle (conquer vast tracks of land from remote area).

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Cattle die, kinsmen die, the self must also die. I know one thing that never dies: the fate of the honored dead. Hávamál, Gestaţáttr, #77.
TiGeR1812
Legionary
posted 15 March 2011 08:42 EDT (US)     8 / 9       
Well, although they are not between these 8 factions i would say the Illyrians. I'm a fan of Illyrian history and in the 5th-10th century we know nothing about them because of the lack of written documents. they would be fun to play. The Norse would be fun to play too
Seneca Monachus
Legionary
posted 02 April 2011 05:24 EDT (US)     9 / 9       
Hard to say who is the sexiest of these. But these three factions are in my favourite three.
In random order:
A)Franks, switch from infantry to cavalry seems interesting to plan the military campaigns
B)Alemanii Tribes, plan your empire ahaid with their tribe barracks.
C)WRE, challenge to start and ofcourse legionairs!

"Wise men speak because they have something to say: Fools because they have to say something" - Plato
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames