You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Dark Ages: Roman Revival
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.27 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Dark Ages: Roman Revival » Historical Events, Retinue Characters, Personnel, Items, etc.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Historical Events, Retinue Characters, Personnel, Items, etc.
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 24 April 2011 07:06 EDT (US)         
This is where we talk about which events and retinue to include in the game, which starts at the year 500 and ends... a few centuries later. A few chief categories to be kept in mind:

Events: Significant stuff with significant impacts, e.g. the Synodus Palmaris in October 23, 502, called by Theodoric the Great, clears Pope Symmachus of all charges, thus ending the schism of Antipope Laurentius. Another one: Completion of Boethius' Consolatio Philosophiae in 524. A philosophical treatise on fortune, death, and other issues, the Consolation became one of the most popular and influential works of the Middle Ages, as well as being the most widely copied work of secular literature in Europe. Yet another one: Compilation of the Breviary of Alaric in the February of 506. It was a collection of Roman law, compiled by order of Alaric II, King of the Visigoths, with the advice of his bishops and nobles. The Breviary had the effect of preserving the traditions of Roman law in Aquitania and Gallia Narbonensis, which became both Provence and Septimania, thus reinforcing their sense of enduring continuity, broken in the Frankish north.

Characters: Important people famously known for their scientific, cultural, social, philosophical, or military contributions. E.g. Anicius Manlius Severinus Boëthius, Roman philosophical, literary and theological author, one of the most important intermediaries between ancient philosophy and the Latin Middle Ages. He could start out in Theodoric the Great's retinue. Another one is Maximus Decimus Meridius, a Romano-Spanish general-turned-gladiator willing to lend his strategic and tactical genius to the ruler of Spain.

Personnel: By "personnel" I mean like Veteran Gladiator, Trusty Steed (personnel!), Senator, Master of Assassins, etc. Non-specific, unnamed retinue members with their related bonuses. If you've got ideas for new ones you've always wanted to see, we'd love to hear them.

Offices: Prestigious or other not-so-prestigious administrative, military, and other such officially appointed positions! One example is the office of Vuzorg Farmadar in the Sassanid Empire - Vice-chancellor.

Items: Like the religious relics from vanilla BI (Splinters from the True Cross, anyone?), or any other interesting thingy.

Go!

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix
Guild of the Skalds, Order of the Silver Quill, Apprentice Storyteller
Battle of Ilipa, 206BC - XI TWH Egil Skallagrimson Award

The word dyslexia was invented by Nazis to piss off kids with dyslexia.
AuthorReplies:
Rinster
Legionary
posted 24 April 2011 09:27 EDT (US)     1 / 27       
Would events also be the reforms thingy, whatever they're called, and what year that is in, or when that happens?

Otherwise I think we have to search for notable personalities around this time period for retinues, and think up traits to give each faction, as well as using traits from vanilla BI and regular R:TW too.

Wikilinks:
6th Century
Italian People
People by Occupation
People
Just for general knowledge about the time, I guess

I really have nothing to say at this point.
Other than this.
Total War Games Played:
RTW
---|---|---|---
Je parle un peu de français

[This message has been edited by Rinster (edited 04-24-2011 @ 09:31 AM).]

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 24 April 2011 10:41 EDT (US)     2 / 27       
I track the notable scumbags and happenings of the 6th century down via Wiki, personally, looking for interesting stuff by the year (500, 501, 502, etc). I was hoping some of us here might have a more... sophisticated way of finding such info out.

Skimming through Rinster's first link, I saw a few more events of note:

Early 6th century – Irish colonists and invaders, the Scots, began migrating to Caledonia (later known as Scotland). Migration from south-west Britain to Brittany.

525: Having settled in Rome c. 500, Scythian monk Dionysius Exiguus invents the Anno Domini era calendar based on the estimated birth year of Jesus Christ.

541-542: First pandemic of bubonic plague (Plague of Justinian) hits Constantinople and the rest of Byzantine Empire.

553: Second Council of Constantinople

595: Pope Gregory sends Roman monks led by Augustine to England.

Backgammon (nard) invented in Persia by Burzoe.

Chess, as chaturanga, entered Persia from India and was modified to shatranj.

Byzantine Empire acquires silk technology from China. (or represented by a special Silk Trader building..)

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix

Seneca Monachus
Legionary
posted 24 April 2011 11:47 EDT (US)     3 / 27       
Some Byzantine people:

- Agathias of Myrina, was a Greek poet and the historian who is a principal source for that part of the reign of Justinian I covered in his history.

-Procopius of Caesarea was a prominent Byzantine scholar from Palestine. Accompanying the general Belisarius in the wars of the Emperor Justinian I, he became the principal historian of the 6th century, writing the Wars of Justinian, the Buildings of Justinian and the celebrated Secret History. He is commonly held to be the last major historian of the ancient world.

- Damascius known as "the last of the Neoplatonists," was the last scholarch of the School of Athens. He was one of the pagan philosophers persecuted by Justinian in the early 6th century, and was forced for a time to seek refuge in the Persian court, before being allowed back into the empire.

- All (Byzantine) senators had the title vir clarissimus ("very famous man"); but from the mid fourth century onwards, vir illustris and vir spectabilis ("admirable man", a lower rank than illustris) were used to distinguish holders of high office

-Vir gloriosus, Latin for "glorious man", was the highest rank available to the senatorial aristocracy of the East Roman or Byzantine Empire in the 6th century. The title was introduced following the increasing proliferation, and hence debasement, of the earlier senatorial titles, such as vir illustris

byzantine offices

some Sassanids:

- The kanārang was a unique title in the Sassanid army, given to the commander of the Sassanid Empire's northeasternmost frontier province, Abarshahr (encompassing the cities of Tus, Nishapur and Abiward)

- Marzban were a class of military commanders in charge of border provinces of the Sassanid Empire of Persia between the 3rd and 7th centuries CE.

-Sassanid: the rank of astabadh (a senior minister roughly equivalent to the Byzantine magister officiorum

- Below the king, a powerful bureaucracy carried out much of the affairs of government; the head of the bureaucracy and Vice-Chancellor, was the "Vuzorg (Bozorg) Farmadar". Within this bureaucracy the Zoroastrian priesthood was immensely powerful. The head of the Magi priestly class, the Mobadan, along with the commander in chief, the Iran (Eran) Spahbod, the head of traders and merchants syndicate "Ho Tokhshan Bod" and minister of agriculture "Vastrioshansalar" who was also head of farmers, were below the emperor, the most powerful man of the Sassanid state.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say: Fools because they have to say something" - Plato
Rinster
Legionary
posted 24 April 2011 13:10 EDT (US)     4 / 27       
So it seems to me that we should divide up what should be what into categories for command, influence and management, along with religion too.

obviously military posts and such will grant command bonuses and maybe law bonuses too?

Historians I think should provide influence, and philosphers/church people should provide health/public order/management bonuses.

To me the big people in this seem to be a lot of monks, so we could use several notable monks as unique retinue characters
Besides that, the retinue I think will be the same mix of public office, famous people, and general skills

Oh, and we can put belisarius in as a starting memebr of the eastern royal family, even though he wasn't!
And then we could have a eastern retaking of the west if the WRE fails.
Just a thought

I really have nothing to say at this point.
Other than this.
Total War Games Played:
RTW
---|---|---|---
Je parle un peu de français
Drakontos
Legionary
posted 24 April 2011 14:24 EDT (US)     5 / 27       
This is directly from my unfinished 500AD mod. In case I don't ever finish it, I figure what little I do have ought to get to some use... directly quoted out of the text file:
{501AD_TITLE}The Turn of a Century
{ANNO_DOMINI_TITLE}In the Year of Our lord
{JUSTINIAN_TITLE}Justinian I Emperor
{NIKA_RIOTS_TITLE}Nika riots in Constantinople
{BATTLE_OF_CAMLANN_TITLE}Battle of Camlann
{PLAGUE_OF_JUSTINIAN_TITLE}Plague of Justinian
{NOBATIA_CONVERTS_TITLE}Conversion of Nobatia
{OSTROGOTHIC_KINGDOM_DESTROYED_TITLE}Italy Roman once gain
{BIRTH_OF_MOHAMMED_TITLE}Birth of Mohammad
{CONVERSION_OF_THE_VISIGOTHS_TITLE}Conversion of the Visigoths
{GREGORY_ANNOINTED_TITLE}Gregory the Great
{AUGUSTINE_TO_ENGLAND_TITLE}Mission to Britain
{UNIVERSAL_BISHOP_TITLE}The Universal Bishop
{HERACLIUS_EMPEROR_TITLE}Heraclius
{TRUE_CROSS_SEIZED_TITLE}The True Cross is lost
{SIEGE_OF_CONSTANTINOPLE_TITLE}Siege of Constantinople
{END_OF_ROMANOPERSIAN_WARS_TITLE}End of the Romano-Persian Wars
{DEATH_OF_MOHAMMED_TITLE}A Whole New Era

{501AD_BODY}The Year is 501AD. A new century; a new beginning. The future of Europe and the Middle East is in your hands.
{ANNO_DOMINI_BODY}525: Dionysius Exiguus creates the Anno Domini system, inspired by the birth of Jesus.
{JUSTINIAN_BODY}527: Justinian I succeeds Justin I as Emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire.
{NIKA_RIOTS_BODY}532: Nika riots in Constantinople; the cathedral is destroyed. They are put down a sennight later by Belisarius and Mundus; up to 30,000 people are killed in the Hippodrome.
{BATTLE_OF_CAMLANN_BODY}537: Battle of Camlann, final battle of legendary King Arthur.
{PLAGUE_OF_JUSTINIAN_BODY}541-542: First pandemic of bubonic plague (Plague of Justinian) hits Constantinople and the rest of Byzantine Empire.
{NOBATIA_CONVERTS_BODY}545: Nubian Kingdom of Nobatia converts to Christianity.
{OSTROGOTHIC_KINGDOM_DESTROYED_BODY}554: Eviction of the Ostrogoths from Rome, and the re-unification of all Italy under Byzantine rule.
{BIRTH_OF_MOHAMMED_BODY}570: Birth of Mohammad, founder of Islam.
{CONVERSION_OF_THE_VISIGOTHS_BODY}587: Reccared, king of the Visigoths in Spain, converts to Catholicism.
{GREGORY_ANNOINTED_BODY}590 Gregory the Great annointed Pope
{AUGUSTINE_TO_ENGLAND_BODY}595: Pope Gregory sends Roman monks led by Augustine to England.
{UNIVERSAL_BISHOP_BODY}606: Boniface elected papal successor on the death of Pope Sabinian. He sought and obtained a decree from Byzantine Emperor Phocas which stated that "the See of Blessed Peter the Apostle should be the head of all the Churches". This ensured that the title of "Universal Bishop" belonged exclusively to the Bishop of Rome.
{HERACLIUS_EMPEROR_BODY}610: Heraclius arrives by ship from Africa at Constantinople, overthrows East Roman Emperor Phocas and becomes Emperor.\n\nHis first major act is to change the official language of the East Roman Empire from Latin to Greek (already the language of the vast majority of the population).
{TRUE_CROSS_SEIZED_BODY}615: The Sassanid Empire under Shah Chosroes II sacks Jerusalem, taking away the relic of the True cross.
{SIEGE_OF_CONSTANTINOPLE_BODY}626: The Avars and the Persians jointly besiege but fail to capture Constantinople.
{EEND_OF_ROMANOPERSIAN_WARS_BODY}627: Emperor Heraclius defeats the Persians, ending the Roman-Persian Wars.
{DEATH_OF_MOHAMMED_BODY}632: With the death of the Prophet Mohammed, the Muslim conquests begin. A Whole new era of history has begun.
501AD was there as a placeholder for the intro message I wanted. Messages on the first turn can't be triggered by Historic Events.

I'll return with some other stuff later.

PROCRASTINATE NOT · JAMAIS ARRIERE
Kilos of Thermon
Legionary
posted 24 April 2011 20:38 EDT (US)     6 / 27       
The only thing I really dislike is the Goths being driven from Italy part. That pretty much just destroys that faction. Isn't that sort of unnecessary?

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Cattle die, kinsmen die, the self must also die. I know one thing that never dies: the fate of the honored dead. Hávamál, Gestaþáttr, #77.
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 25 April 2011 05:31 EDT (US)     7 / 27       
Yes, that one writes down the whole Ostrogothic Kingdom's fate, instead of letting the player decide. And if the event has no real effect on the campaign (ie OGs and Romans remain the same as the status quo), what is the point?

I approve of all the other suggestions made so far, and would like to add another category - Historical Buildings: Notable ancient architectural pieces and projects of the time spread amongst the settlements that we could make available, either at the start or for later construction, repair, or re-construction - assuming we can code such buildings to be build-able only in their specific city with reasonable ease. A few ideas to begin with could be -

Ludus Magnus - the Great Gladiatorial School in Rome, once the single largest training center of gladiators in the Roman Empire. The renovation of this building could be the in-game trigger to reviving the recruitment and deployment of military gladiatorial units. *drool*

Cathedral of Saint Peter in Trier - the oldest cathedral in Germany/ Germania. "The structure is raised upon the foundations of Roman buildings of Augusta Treverorum. Following the conversion of the Emperor Constantine the Bishop Maximin of Trier (329-346) coordinated the construction of the grandest ensemble of ecclesiastical structures in the West outside Rome... The fourth century structure was left in ruins by the Franks and rebuilt. Normans destroyed the structure again in 882. Under Bishop Egbert the Dom was restored once more."

Arles Amphitheatre - "With the fall of the Empire in the 5th century, the amphitheater became a shelter of the population and was transformed into a fortress with four towers and which fit in more than 200 houses and two chapels. The amphitheatre became a real town, with its public square built in the center of the arena and two chapels, one in the center of the building, and another one at the base of the west tower."

Pont du Gard (in Provence/ Provincia) - "The Pont du Gard is a notable ancient Roman aqueduct bridge that crosses the Gard River in southern France."

Kilos of Thermon
Legionary
posted 25 April 2011 16:22 EDT (US)     8 / 27       
Am I the only person who finds it funny the Ludus Magnus is the highest level learning building for everyone in RTW?

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Cattle die, kinsmen die, the self must also die. I know one thing that never dies: the fate of the honored dead. Hávamál, Gestaþáttr, #77.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 26 April 2011 02:43 EDT (US)     9 / 27       
We should avoid battles, revolts, and overthrows/usurpations in the historical events, as those will be fought out by the player or the factions.

Stick to scientific discoveries, religious events, natural events, etc, but leave the military and political alone.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 30 April 2011 06:05 EDT (US)     10 / 27       
KickAss, historical buildings are a good idea, and a simple matter to code (so long as you don't insist on battlefield models) - however, I would rather leave them out.

The reason for this is that there are simply so many candidates in every single town or city from the neolithic ghost-village of Skara Brae in the Orkney Islands to the Pyramids. I would want to include things like the White Horse of Uffington, an Italian would want about fifty just for the city of Rome and there are some twenty excellent candidates in Southern France. There are just so many the task becomes impossible. Plus, as we have seen with the factions how some get more attention than others, this will be even more true of special buildings. Places like Northern Italy, Southern France and Greece will have hundreds of them, whereas places like Syria and Turkey will undeservedly have three or four between them, simply because they are not our primary focuses of interest.

So, for historical buildings, if we must have them, have a maximum of about twenty for the whole map, and only put them in important cities. So the region of Massilia, rich as it is in fantastic ruins, will not get any, whereas Rome might get the Colosseum, Athens the Parthenon, etc.

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 04-30-2011 @ 12:59 PM).]

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 30 April 2011 08:43 EDT (US)     11 / 27       
Limited numbers sounds good. But not more than one per settlement.

eth689
Legionary
posted 30 April 2011 21:57 EDT (US)     12 / 27       
Could we maybe have negative events that only effect on country or region. Something like "Bandits raiding country side" So you have to lower taxes because the people lose their money to the outlaws. Or "flooding on the Rhine" And all the cities by the Rhine (or any other river) have slower production rates. im sure we can come up with more ideas but i dont want to make this too long
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 02 May 2011 21:11 EDT (US)     13 / 27       
Yes Ed, that is the general idea - limiting the number of these special historical buildings to 20. They'd be like the RTW Wonders from vanilla, eh? And modeling sucks, so I think we should avoid making new ones for them unless absolutely necessary, in which case we should avoid that building altogether.
But not more than one per settlement.
I was thinking that CoPs get them exclusively, and maybe the other big and historically important cities get five between them.
Am I the only person who finds it funny the Ludus Magnus is the highest level learning building for everyone in RTW?
Depends on what skills them Romans saw as the highest level of learning. /jk

So are we definitely going to do historical buildings, folks?

Seneca Monachus
Legionary
posted 05 May 2011 05:02 EDT (US)     14 / 27       
i'm in for historical buildings

further some more things:

something random (Lombards)
- The Edictum Rothari (also Edictus Rothari or Edictum Rotharis) was the first written compilation of Lombard law,

-The Digest, also known as the Pandects (Lat. Digesta seu Pandectae, adapted from Gr. πανδέκτης pandektes, "all-containing"), is a name given to a compendium or digest of Roman law compiled by order of the emperor Justinian I

The Novellae Constitutiones (new constitutions, Greek: Νεαραί, or Justinian's Novels, are one of the four major units of Roman law created by Roman Emperor Justinian I in the course of his long reign (AD 527-565). The other three pieces are: the Code, the Digest, and the Institutes. Together, the four parts are known as the Corpus Juris Civilis.

- The Corpus Juris Civilis ("Body of Civil Law") is the modern name for a collection of fundamental works in jurisprudence, issued from 529 to 534 by order of Justinian I

-Benedict of Nursia

Brigit of Kildare

"Wise men speak because they have something to say: Fools because they have to say something" - Plato

[This message has been edited by Seneca Monachus (edited 05-05-2011 @ 05:04 AM).]

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 06 May 2011 16:55 EDT (US)     15 / 27       
Firstly, the existence of a building on the strat map doesn't mean it needs to be placed on the battle map.

Secondly, I don't see why battles and the like shouldn't go up - consider it educational. Tack on a 'historically, xyz happened' to make it clear it is the historical parallel to the game in play, not what is actually going on.

I like historical buildings.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 06 May 2011 21:42 EDT (US)     16 / 27       
Secondly, I don't see why battles and the like shouldn't go up - consider it educational. Tack on a 'historically, xyz happened' to make it clear it is the historical parallel to the game in play, not what is actually going on.
Total War is always educational, but it is also fictional 80% of the time, because the player and the AI simulators control what happens to historically relevant settlements, kingdoms and peoples. I like the idea of showing players what the historical parallels are as they play the game out, so perhaps it could work.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 07 May 2011 05:15 EDT (US)     17 / 27       
The point of playing a game like this is to change history, not repeat it. Otherwise, what is the point of playing a faction and watching the AI portray the historical schedule- you bring your forces as the Calihate to Tours and know you are going to get pounded? You fight, miraculously win, and the AI hands you a defeat because that was what happened in real life?

Or you play the Burgundians and actually wipe out the Franks, instead of the other way around. Should you then lose, because Clovis won?

Of course not.

As for historical tidbits, if the battle was not fought, why mention it? It would be confusing for a note concerning the Battle of Badon Hill being won by Artorius when the Romano-Brits had been wiped out five turns earlier. Or the raid at Lindesfarne occuring to launch the Viking Age a hundred ffity turns after the Vikings descended into Europe on a rampage. Or the Gepids defeating the successors of the Huns and driving them from Europe, well after the Gepids themselves got crushed by the ERE.

We can set the battles and history up to the point that the player opens his campaign. After that, battles are decided by the AI and the player, not us.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Drakontos
Legionary
posted 07 May 2011 05:49 EDT (US)     18 / 27       
I fail to see how it is confusing.

"Oh look, historically the Ostrogoths were destroyed this turn. A most interesting fact. In the game I am the Ostrogoths, and I control half of Europe. Evidently I am a much better commander than they ever were. Go me!"

Big Red Rob
Legionary
(id: Feudal Principes)
posted 07 May 2011 14:28 EDT (US)     19 / 27       
Yeah, like in EB, there is a "This year in history" note, once a year, which tells the player what happened that year. I am not saying to do one of those, but rather that it serves as a comparison, so you can see how you are faring compared to how your faction actually did then. They don't have to influence the gameplay, just inform the player of important events, such as the destruction of a faction which may well be ahistorically thriving in-game.

(edit) Is this thread for traits as well?

[This message has been edited by Feudal Principes (edited 05-07-2011 @ 02:42 PM).]

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 11 May 2011 09:18 EDT (US)     20 / 27       
I thought the Caliphate's non-playable?

First, I think we need to be clear on this - historical battle pop-ups by no means alter the gameplay in any way.

Second, if said pop-ups are going to generate any sort of weirdness (confusion is not quite the right response, I think the players can distinguish between history stuff and gameplay), I think it's best we reconsider adding them. It's nice to be able to learn history battles while playing this would-be wonderful mod, but battles aren't the same as inventions, second councils, births. They actually took place somewhere on the campaign map between in-game factions. A successful player seeing a message indicating that his faction should have fallen this turn could be pleased - or surprised, or disappointed (that the faction supposed to destroy his was already gone itself). This is one small adjustment that could significantly alter gameplay and limit players via their desire to over-adhere to what actually happened in history, instead of playing things out their own way, Total-War style. All the above is slightly exaggerated, I admit, but I guess you see my point.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 11 May 2011 09:29 EDT (US)     21 / 27       
Provincial campaign, maybe?

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 11 May 2011 10:35 EDT (US)     22 / 27       
I am more concerned with the battles that occur between factions the player is not playing (or currently fighting). Like if the player is playing as the Norse, and sees the fall of the Alemanni in 454- imagine his surprise to run into an Alemanni warband later, or getting an Alemanni diplomat standing on his doorstep asking for map information and trade rights.

These guys were destroyed, right? In history, but not in the game.

It can be confusing, and therefore we should leave it out.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 11 May 2011 10:37 EDT (US)     23 / 27       
Well, it's not like the Historic Event pop-ups have to look exactly like the 'Faction Destroyed' ones.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 11 May 2011 10:49 EDT (US)     24 / 27       
Twenty or thirty turns later, you are most likely not going to remember the form the information came on, but the information itself.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 11 May 2011 11:03 EDT (US)     25 / 27       
Well no, but when you keep seeing Alemanni diplomats and diplomacy messages, you'll realise that they're still going.

Not to mention "Faction Destroyed - Alemanni" and "Historically the Alemanni were defeated on this date" for me, at least, remain quite distinct well into the game.

Spoken as someone who has played with said messages a good 100 turns into the game, several times.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 13 May 2011 22:07 EDT (US)     26 / 27       
Well, my standpoint is this: Yes historical battle info scrolls, No historical faction destroyed scrolls. Avoids confusion and sometimes a bit more can be added about the aftermath, because some factions did go down soon after losing a major battle.

You guys like this compromise? Less confusion, and still as educational.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 06 October 2011 09:24 EDT (US)     27 / 27       
A few more characters from some recent reading I did:

Anthimus - dietician. wrote a book on diet for a Frankish king. Lived in Italy.
Alexander of Tralles - one of the most eminent ancient physicians. Practised in Rome. Wrote Therapeutica.
Anthemius of Tralles - mathematician and architect of Hagia Sophia (with Isidore of Miletus).
Priscian - African linguist who lived in Constantinople, where he wrote what was to become standard works on Latin grammar.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames