You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How can I reduce squalor?
posted 07 December 2004 03:29 EDT (US)   
Hello everyone,
the main cause of revolts or unhappines is allways squalor.

I've tried to build all possible upgrades for the sewers, but it doesn't really seem to work.

Does anyone know how to reduce squalor or something to do when the squalor in a city is very high?

Replies:
posted 07 December 2004 03:50 EDT (US)     1 / 21  
Blood. Bathe in their blood. Bathe in their blood for a week. That should clean out any mysterious brown lumpy stuff on the ground.
posted 07 December 2004 05:10 EDT (US)     2 / 21  
At very high levels, squalor cannot be avoided in cities. Building government houses (proconsul palace, imperial palace, etc.) help to reduce squalor a little, but eventually the population still gets too large. Building health structures doesn't reduce squalor, by the way. It only yields some positive public order points to cancel out the negative effects of squalor.

As such, some people prefer to leave that city and let it rebel, then retake it and exterminate the population, which is essentially what Firefox is suggesting. It's not a very kind way of governing a province, but to heck with it. This is a game after all.

[This message has been edited by Duan Xuan (edited 12-07-2004 @ 05:10 AM).]

posted 07 December 2004 05:45 EDT (US)     3 / 21  
I have one particular city, with 30.000 people in it and all possible upgrades and buildings, a full garrison of 20 large units, yet still they aren't happy.

As has been said, large cities will simply always have problems. The only way for me to keep them happy is to have monthly games.

posted 07 December 2004 06:35 EDT (US)     4 / 21  
Has anyone tried to throw daily games?
posted 07 December 2004 07:31 EDT (US)     5 / 21  
Daily games and races with low tax rate and a good governor works for me! Although it is extremely expensive
posted 07 December 2004 07:59 EDT (US)     6 / 21  
Games, games, games.

And a governer with high management.

posted 07 December 2004 11:01 EDT (US)     7 / 21  
the best thing to do with sqaulor is tolerate it untill you upgrade to Huge city then massacre your population after you let them revolt. Your income will go way up as will their happines
posted 07 December 2004 11:12 EDT (US)     8 / 21  
If you don't mind exterminating:
- Let them rebel then recapture and exterminate!
- Even easier, give the province to your enemy as a gift, then recapture it the same turn and exterminate!
- Exterminate when you capture cities with high populations (over 6-7k)

Otherwise:
- Keep around a plague carrier and send them into that city. Guaranteed population drop of at least 6%
- Don't let the population grow so high (don't build farming upgrades)
- Recruiting troops/navy from a province reduces the population. Recruit peasants, march them to a low population province, disband, repeat.
- Move your capital closer (reduces corruption)

With proper management, you should not have any problems with population control even w/o exterminating. I'm just finishing the Egyptian campaign and I don't have any cities over 25-26k ppl.

posted 07 December 2004 18:00 EDT (US)     9 / 21  
i never build any farms, then i make peasants, and keep sending them at enemies and hopeing they all get masacured
posted 07 December 2004 18:21 EDT (US)     10 / 21  
just gift your enemy the city, recapture and exterminate. i don't see how hard that is!

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away.
Winner of 2005 OD : Best Ownage, Funniest Newbie, and Dinoman Award
"Mastering Others is Strength, Mastering yourself makes you fearless -Lao Tzu"
posted 07 December 2004 19:17 EDT (US)     11 / 21  
Let the population fall by making them angry.

Quoted from TSD in reference to the suggestion of infinite farms: "It's the econ stupid! Taking out the attention and skill element in building an econ is demolishing half the game!"
Winner of the "Craziest Forumer Award" Jan. 2003
"It's time for the human race to enter the solar system!" - Dan Quayle, former U.S. Vice President on the concept of a manned mission to Mars
Discoverer of the "Invisible Leviathon" Bug

[This message has been edited by Ian Gilbert (edited 12-07-2004 @ 07:23 PM).]

posted 07 December 2004 20:26 EDT (US)     12 / 21  
This is an area of concern for me because the game in my opinion is trying to make the counterpoint to big cities. If you build big enough cities to build these elite special units that kill everything .. well it penalizes you with squalor.

That means also building farms ends up being a bad thing for al the wrong reasons.

The Cherry Vanilla mod starts to address this mod by providing anti-squalor attrubutes. It is a start.

I beleive that the squalor issue is one that should be addressed by the game designers. Allow for well run cities over the years to not get squalor as fast as say 1+ management with all sorts of bad traits.

BTW) The whole farm issue I will address in a different post.

CrackAces

posted 07 December 2004 21:12 EDT (US)     13 / 21  
Given that the city of Rome had a population of over 1,000,000...I think there should be ways to keep the population happy!
posted 07 December 2004 21:25 EDT (US)     14 / 21  
But Rome was exceptional.

The regular roman cities in the game are perfectly square and highly organised, these would be more akin to the military colonies than to Rome.

I guess the game could try and make exceptions for the big cities of the era, Rome, Alexandra etc. but attacking Rome is trouble enough as it is, attacking a realistic replica of the real Rome would be real hectic, you'd get lost sight-seeing on the way to the central plaza.

Bah!
posted 07 December 2004 23:33 EDT (US)     15 / 21  
If all you want is to recruit elite units, build farm upgrades until your city gets to the population level you want, then just destroy them and your population will pretty much stop growing.
posted 08 December 2004 14:22 EDT (US)     16 / 21  
IIRC, you can't destry farms.

Bah!
posted 17 May 2021 13:35 EDT (US)     17 / 21  
Hello, everyone, how are you doing? I know a site that I found out about when I first started playing that no longer exists. With the help of this information, I began to more or less understand games.

[This message has been edited by General Sajaru (edited 05-17-2021 @ 07:21 PM).]

posted 17 May 2021 15:05 EDT (US)     18 / 21  
well that was a blast from the past

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
posted 17 May 2021 19:22 EDT (US)     19 / 21  
Indeed. It's been a while since I dusted off the ol' banhammer. I'm surprised we haven't seen more spambots around here with the uptick in activity.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
posted 18 May 2021 12:23 EDT (US)     20 / 21  
They will come.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
posted 18 May 2021 14:58 EDT (US)     21 / 21  
They will come.
Invaders come here, but they do not leave. They do not understand the desert; they do not understand how it gives life, and how it kills. So they die, and we grow stronger. The dead, now, the dead cannot pass on their newfound wisdom...so invaders keep coming, keep trying to take our lands and our wealth. But then, wealth flows through this land. And if our people have one thing, it is the love of wealth. It is sweeter than water, it is more powerful than the sword, for any sword can be turned aside with a gold coin. Gold will buy a thousand warriors...and a thousand warriors, why, they are the start of an empire!

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » How can I reduce squalor?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames