You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.62 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » Lord of the Steppes: Scythia Swap Game
Bottom
Topic Subject:Lord of the Steppes: Scythia Swap Game
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 18 November 2013 23:41 EDT (US)         
Hail Warlords!

Today, we begin our quest to take the world with sword and fire! From the steppes, we shall issue forth, sweeping all before us.

Please give your advice and comments below.

Our current order for Supreme Commander is:
1- General Sajaru
2- Hannibal the Conqueror
3- Awesome Eagle

Drop-In Generals (offered a chance at end of every cycle):
Alex the Bold

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
AuthorReplies:
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 26 December 2013 04:30 EDT (US)     26 / 62       
A shame concerning our brilliant general, but I see we have others.

I am particularly pleased with our progress toward the olive groves. I can almost taste the retsina I will use to wash down those olives. Please make this happen.

Our realm grows.

I am happy.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Hannibal the Conqueror
Legionary
(id: HannibalBarcaXXI)
posted 26 December 2013 10:17 EDT (US)     27 / 62       
Despite some losses, we have made excellent progress. Great work GS.

I'll play my turns shortly.

"I long for Darkness."
- Cormac McCarthy, The Sunset Limited.

"We are a species that ravages, plunders, kills, destroys, rapes and enslaves in the name of progress."
Hannibal the Conqueror
Legionary
posted 28 December 2013 03:51 EDT (US)     28 / 62       
And my reign begins.

-----------------

There being nothing else to do, I charge the rebels occupying one of our watchtowers.

The cowards flee before the battle even begins, and place themselves further away from us. But they fail to realize
the might of Scythia is above all things.

A heroic victory.

Trade rights were offered to the Greeks. They accept.

It seems to be that the Brutii have already taken control of Thermon. We must make haste, so that we still have a chance to take Greece. And Terikel getting his olives, of course, that being the greater goal

I end turn.

-----------------

Turn 2

The Macedons, choosing not to have a go at Byzantium, reroute their army and attack the forces of Palacus that are besieging Thessalonica. Although they are numerous and are worthy opponents, we have proven ourselves earlier, and have proven why Scythians are superior to these heathen.

The battle begins.

The main force is annihilated and its remnants routed, but the reinforcements are causing quite a problem, there is a lack of coherence in the structure of our army, everything is chaotic.

An enemy general falls. The faction leader will follow next.

Amazingly, our barbarian cavalry alone deals with the Macedonian King's bodyguards.

Ha! The sight of our mercenaries made these despicable creatures flee!

Victory!

Even though we annihilated as many enemies as our own numbers are, no heroic victory. But, it was a great victory. A victory worthy only of Scythian prowess and valor.

The Dacians offer us a ceasefire. They think they are of equal military stature, but they are not. We demand a large payment for the same.

We demand a 15000 denarii tribute, but they counter-offer with a 1000! Idiots. They will pay nonetheless. We reject. (lost the screenie for this one)

Our spies spot a full stack (!) Macedonian army near Thessalonica. The Macedon King has somehow managed to return to the besieged city, so we will annihilate him, hopefully no other family member thrives and we can finally end this conflict.

Thessalonica is ours.

We can recruit Noble Horsearchers!

Apparently the Germanics have quite a force in Vicus Venedae. I think they are going to be a major source of trouble for us in a couple of decades.

END TURN

-----------------

Turn 3

The Egyptians offer us trade rights, we accept.

-----------------

The Dacians attack the army of Zipoetes that was besieging Campus Iazyges, the Dacian capital. Our horsearcher army will utterly annihilate their filthy kind from this world.

The foolish enemy approaches.

After our men cleverly divide the enemy army, their general is attacked and slain, and the main force is either dead or scattered around the field of battle.

The other general is no more.

The day is ours!

-----------------

The Macedonian full stack has vanished, and might have been sent to fight the Brutii. Just to make sure, we send Liapos forth to remove the abnormal fog covering these lands.

Ah, it is still there. If our invasion plans are to go smoothly, we need to get rid of it.

More bad news. Turns out the Brutii are the Macedonians' allies, not their enemies. This means we must attack, regardless of the size of the enemy's forces.

The Greeks have lost Sparta, and are now confined to Rhodes.

We besiege the Dacian capital.

We offer the Gauls trade rights. They accept.

END TURN

-----------------

Turn 4

The Dacian faction leader attacks Zipoetes' forces, and the battle begins.

-----------------

The enemy king is slain, and so is his army. The reinforcements are now shaken by the demise of their leader.

The day is once again ours!

-----------------

Campus Iazyges is exterminated, to show the peoples of the world
what fate awaits them.

Palacus takes an all-horsemen army and attacks the Macedon army earlier mentioned. Already our mens hearts are filled with uncertainty, but if the gods watch over us, what is there to fear?

-----------------

Before our men clash with theirs, they begin to flee, leaving behind a few loyal dogs to fend us off for a period of time. What cowardice.

Ha! Despite being numerically superior, the Macedons lost half their force due to this strategic blunder. It can only be the doing of the gods themselves!

-----------------

There being nothing else to do, I end turn.

-----------------

Turn 5

We offer the Britons trade rights, they accept.

We offer the Julii trade rights, and they accept.

We are the most advanced faction in the world!

Madyes discovers that the Dacians have few warriors left to protect what is left of their kingdom. Our faction leader is to be sent to rid us of these disgusting folk once and for all.

Zipoetes decides to attack the Dacian faction heir Decebalus who, in his infinite wisdom, ventured out into our lands with no accompanying force whatsoever. He deserves what is coming.

Well, Decebalus is brave. He'd rather die than turn his back onto our arrows and run. Unfortunately for him, bravery is the attribute of the foolish, not the calculating.

Decebalus has been slain.

Palacus besieges Larissa with his horse army and begins construction of rams, while infantry are sent from Thessalonica to merge with Palacus' forces.

The Brutii seem to be sending a sizable force towards our lands. I hope the next Overlord in line keeps an eye on the pesky Romans.

END TURN

and

END REIGN

-----------------

-----------------

-----------------

-----------------

The save has been passed on to AE. Good luck, noble warlord!

"I long for Darkness."

"We are a species that ravages, plunders, kills, destroys, rapes and enslaves in the name of progress."

[This message has been edited by Hannibal the Conqueror (edited 12-28-2013 @ 03:54 AM).]

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 28 December 2013 09:04 EDT (US)     29 / 62       
This was a great term of service, Lord Hannibal! Already envoys bearing olive branches have been visiting our realm, vying against each other to be the provider of such delicacies to our court.

So far the taste test prefers the northern olvies of Thessaloniki to those of highland Larissa, but that is a matter of taste and freshness. I am quite sure the larger olives of Attica and Laeconia will appeal even better to the palate.

As to teaching the once-formidable Dacians that their time has past and the Age of the Horse Warrior is approaching- well done! And to following warlords- those warriors in the lands of the former Dacians are poised to strike deep into the dark forests of Germania should those fur-wearing fools decide to pillage our more-northerly regions...

I am pleased with this report. Please, lords of the Steppes, do continue.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 12 January 2014 04:00 EDT (US)     30 / 62       
Does the Noble Awesome Eagle have an update for us these days?

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 12 January 2014 05:57 EDT (US)     31 / 62       
Unfortunately not yet. RL has been hectic and I was only able to update that because I got 5 minutes to copy and pasta it from my note pad. However- I have a free rafter noon tomorrow so I will play it then and update Tuesday.

Very sorry for the unfortunate delay!

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 12 January 2014 10:39 EDT (US)     32 / 62       
No worries. I was simply collecting news for the RTW telly.

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 14 January 2014 18:07 EDT (US)     33 / 62       
I managed to find the time to play an action packed 3 turns. So here they are:

Our forces besieging Larissa are sallied upon by the dual armies of Macedon. Hopefully I will be able to work some magic..

The battle began with domination by our army, with our archers massacring their pikemen and picking off their cavalry. However, trouble started when the enemy reinforcement army with many units of Light Lancers entered the fray. Spread out and disorganised, some of our troops proved to be easy pickings. However, Palacus rallied his men and reinforced the front line- however, not before many casualties were taken. Among the dead were found a entire unit of Scythian Noble Archers- who lived up to their name and inflicted upon the enemies a kill ratio of 3-1.

However, we did manage to eliminate the entire garrison and reinforcing army, meaning Larissa is now ours!!

256 BC- Winter

We have a candidate for adoption. He will make a good General and is accepted.

Oh No! The plague has come to Macedonia. Maybe we can implant the Romans with this disease to slow their roll..

Campus Alanni has grown yet again.

Our army in Larissa is depleted, and will need to be retrained.

Liapos- our spy is moved to check the defences of Athens and Corinth. They are lightly defended, but our army will need to be expanded and retrained if we are to go on the offensive any time soon.

An army of the Brutii is bribed to disband.

Partatua leaves Porrolissum and goes on a mission to build some watchtowers.

Madyes enters Aquincum, and sees that it is largely undefended.

Zipoetes is ordered onto the attack, and can assault now with the help of our spy.

AQUINCUM IS OURS!

Belnirari is ordered out of Chersonesos and to Greece. He shall pick up troops and boats along the way.

Troops from Tylis engage some rebels.

They are eliminated mercilessly

We have a Man of the Hour. I was hoping for this. I accept.

Aram is sent to reinforce our armies in Greece.

I end the turn

255 BC- Summer

We have a new General

The plague has moved to Larissa as well. That isnít good!

Prusias, a plague bearer nears his Brutii target

Our fleet arrives in Campus Getae to collect some reinforcements.

Aram moves closer to Greece.

Our new general Ara is moved into Dacia- He will move to replace the aging Zipoetes who is now 65.

I end the turn

255BC- Winter

Plague bearer Liapos is moved into Athens- infecting it with the plague.

In the west, Prusias is moved into Apollonia and infects the town.

Reinforced by troops from northern Thrace, and boats as well- the fleet moves south again.

Palacus is moved out of Larissa to confront a Macedonian army.

It was a clear victory, with many enemy killed for little loss

Palacus is moved back to Larissa to retrain and build more forces, as he lacks the provisions to take over Athens and hold back the Brutii.

A small Brutii force is in Macedonia. I really donít want to go to war with the Brutii yet- we need more troops!

A Parthian army is close to entering our territory

An enemy rebel army is destroyed at no loss to ourselves.

A small Dacian army is engaged by a unit of Horse archers.

It is a victory (accidentally misplaced the photo)

Madyes is moved north, in order to scout the possessions of the Dacians

This is the situation I leave to the next commander. Unfortunately time constraints left me with only 3 turns to play, but I did manage to capture 2 cities, and reinforcements are on the way to Greece to assist with the growing Brutii threat and capture the rest of the olive eaters.

Save will be sent on tonight.

History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 14 January 2014 23:20 EDT (US)     34 / 62       
An excellent tenure nonetheless AE. We look to be in fairly good shape, although the incursions by the Brutii are worrisome; however, if we can wipe out the Macedonians and turn to take on the Romans next, they might be manageable; at any rate, Romans are on the whole easier to take down than pikemen.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 15 January 2014 01:43 EDT (US)     35 / 62       
Ach, sickness and plague. They make these old bones brittle. Luckily, I hear olive oil is good for health and suppleness.

Dacia has been taught respect for our horsemen, and it appears Brutus is on the short list for being taught this as well. Poor Brutus, and him with but hastati adn those before the coming of the Great Marry Us.

Well done, Awesome Eagle!

Hannibal the Conqueror
Legionary
posted 06 February 2014 10:19 EDT (US)     36 / 62       
Great job Awesome Eagle.

Those pitiful Romans, they will feel our wrath soon enough. Their fate will be that of the Dacians.

Great job again!

PS: Sorry for the late reply.

"I long for Darkness."

[This message has been edited by Hannibal the Conqueror (edited 02-06-2014 @ 10:20 AM).]

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 08 February 2014 04:22 EDT (US)     37 / 62       
So, time has passed.

Is the next installment in this thrilling and delicious saga ready to appease our apetites?

General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 10 February 2014 12:49 EDT (US)     38 / 62       
It shall be coming shortly; school work has been killing me the past couple weeks; if Alex the Bold would like to take his turn now, that would be great.

General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 16 February 2014 01:17 EDT (US)     39 / 62       
Sorry about the delay, but here's the update:

I start out by declaring war on the Brutii; they've encroached on our territory long enough. Running them down, we wipe out the closest army with ease. Up north, Parthia has an army close to our territory, but they're not brave enough to attack. However, we have plenty of bandits in our territory and they aren't exactly easy to kill.

Down in Greece, the Brutii are moving troops into position:

To the west, our spy has found a Dacian town. Our money situation is rather good, making several thousand denarii per turn.

While the plague has run its course in Larissa, the Macedonians put a spy into our town with the plague, infecting it again. We have a new family member, Rusa, come of age in our capital. Meanwhile, at Porrolissum, we have another group of bandits to take out.

The next turn, the Germans decide to put our capital under siege. Even so, our money situation is looking good. Down at Larissa, the Brutii are back for round two, and we take them down handily:

Back at the capital, we send the Germans off:

However, they're sending more armies our direction:

Our money situation is good, but the Brutii are back again, and we slaughter them as well:

Down in Greece, the Macedonians are massing, to the north, the Germans are on the move, and the Brutii are gathering their forces:

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 16 February 2014 04:54 EDT (US)     40 / 62       
My people never were smart enough to leave well enough alone. Oh well, thou has thrashed them thoroughly. Maybe this time we will learn, but I doubt it. You will need to drive deep into the dark forests and make them Scythian for my people to learn- and for us to be able to concentrate on gaining those olives. Luckily, a small army of horse-archers and a few other bowbenders, capped by some heavy cavalry, should be enough to hound those back into the woods.

Brutus offers more of a problem, for his wimpy hastati and weak principes will soon turn to tough legionaries backed with Archer Auxilia, which can outrange and slaughter our beloved horse archers. Thus this must become our focus until such a time as we breed Noble Archers like flies upon droppings.

Well done, General Sajaru!

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 02-17-2014 @ 03:10 AM).]

Hannibal the Conqueror
Legionary
posted 18 February 2014 08:43 EDT (US)     41 / 62       
Great work, General Sajaru!

I will be commencing my term in due time.

"I long for Darkness."

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 18 February 2014 22:36 EDT (US)     42 / 62       
Well done GS! Our nation continues our ride to Glory!

Good luck Hannibal. Alex- Would you like a turn soon?

Alex_the_Bold
Legionary
posted 22 February 2014 12:38 EDT (US)     43 / 62       
Well, I'm currently under a lot of pressure from school, so I won't be able to play any turns till at least the Calends of March... BTW, well done everyone!

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
Hannibal the Conqueror
Legionary
posted 11 March 2014 10:11 EDT (US)     44 / 62       
The update is coming but I really can't dedicate any serious time to a full thorough playthrough. I've got a couple of turns on my laptop but I'll upload them on Thursday, that's when my Accountancy exam is up. Right now I'm struggling against time to wrap up Accounts so please bear with me.

"I long for Darkness."

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 11 March 2014 10:45 EDT (US)     45 / 62       
Do not be an idiot. Your real-life classwork and exams take precedence over a virtual-world video game.

We can wait; your teachers cannot.

Make the right decision. Make us proud.

Hannibal the Conqueror
Legionary
posted 13 March 2014 03:19 EDT (US)     46 / 62       
Do not be an idiot. Your real-life classwork and exams take precedence over a virtual-world video game.

We can wait; your teachers cannot.

Make the right decision. Make us proud.
Fear not, for I have done miraculously well. There were only two questions I could not complete because of lack of time.

And just to clarify, I wasn't playing while studying. As I've told GS in an email, I was using the free time I had from mid-February to play the Swap save, and so, everything is ready

I'll upload the pics later today.

"I long for Darkness."

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 13 March 2014 06:32 EDT (US)     47 / 62       
Good man.

Hannibal the Conqueror
Legionary
posted 19 March 2014 09:44 EDT (US)     48 / 62       
Well, I will be putting up my reign maybe tomorrow, after having spent an entire week doing absolutely nothing at all.

"I long for Darkness."

Hannibal the Conqueror
Legionary
posted 03 April 2014 14:37 EDT (US)     49 / 62       
Apologies for the late arrival, but here it is.

---------------------

TURN 1

I gaze upon the wonders our armies have done, the peoples whom they have vanquished, all at the hands of the previous overlords. Excellent.

I start with sending our spies to carefully monitor the Macedonian commander of this massive army, Philip of Agrigentum, and his behavior. What I find is less than satisfactory, it is as if the Macedons no longer have good commanders for their forces! A feeble commander will always drag his army down along with him, so, we move on a little bit west to Brutii lands.

Things do not look good. The Brutii have fielded several armies around the whole area. Our objective for now, on this front, is to capture Athens with either of the forces at Larissa, and crush any significant Macedon presence in the region. The other force at Larissa will stay and make sure the Brutii do not attack us in the rear, till Athens is ours.

The plan's commencement is marked by an attack on Macedonian forces near Athens.

Buuuut our army runs out of MPs. However, even with this wait, our position is that of strength.

I turn my attention towards Dacia, and the Germanic armies present there.

We send out a very small force of horsearchers to harass an enemy force not far from the capital of Tribus Iazyges. The odds for victory are greatly against us, but that is not what we are aiming for.

The enemy general is dead.

After the enemy general was slain, and our men running out of arrows, I give the order to withdraw. A defeat on paper, but a victory in reality.

I send a combined force to battle this Germanic army that is only a day away from Porrolissum.

Despite a few casualties, because of the bloody stupid AI, t'was a victory.

There being nothing to do, I end turn.

TURN 2

lolwut

Ah, as expected, the enemy has attacked us near Athens. The battle has begun!

I don't feel very confident of this whole thing, so I order our infantry to withdraw.

The enemy's cavalry routs!

Our arrows have slain the enemy general.

The enemy have been crushed!

Belnirari's army has been brought to plug this gap, while Palacus besieges Athens.

I send Zipoetes to take Segestica, for a classical anvil and hammer tactic. With the Macedons reduced to an insignificant rabble of spear-throwers. An incursion into Dacia would be a bad move at this point, we would be incapable of replenishing lost forces in case of an encounter with Germania, and the Romans have enough men to go into our lands.

I send a small force to wipe out the remnants of the Germanics in Scythia.

Another force is sent to expel the other Germanic army in Tribus Iazyges.

The enemy have been crushed!!!

END TURN

Turn 3!

A foolish move by the Macedons. They have sent what was left of the former force against us once again, and the reinforcements will be obliterated if they lose their battle.

A 'clear' victory.

The Brutii have decided to advance into our land. We have decided to give them a beating.

Yet another crushing victory!!

We sent Belnirari's force to destroy some of the Brutii's armies, and we have won a crushing victory!!

END REIGN

--------------------------------------------------------

It's here. I'm afraid it was not long as I had wanted it to be, but regardless, the other warlords will wipe the floor with the Romans.

I also want to be taken out of the Supreme Commander list. Unfortunately, 12th grade is a hassle and I need to study every minute of the day if I want to get at least 95%+ in the average. I will also be taking a long time off the forums, I won't be actively participating in anything (Like the map game that we might do) but I'll still go on from time to time. I wish thee luck, noble warlords. Farewell.

"I long for Darkness."

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 10 April 2014 22:14 EDT (US)     50 / 62       
Save Received, will hopefully be able to play tomorrowish (I HOPE!)

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames