You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval 2: Total War Discussion
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.117 replies, Sticky
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2: Total War Discussion » Official System Requirements
Bottom
Topic Subject:Official System Requirements
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5  Next Page »
von Nelson
Legionary
(id: General_Nelson)
posted 01 October 2006 03:34 EDT (US)         
Sega released the official system requirements here

Quote:

OS- Windows XP/2000
Processor- Celeron 1.5GHz Pentium 4 (1500MHz) or equivalent AMD processor
Memory- 512MB
Optical Drive- 8x Speed DVD-ROM drive
Disk Space- 11GB of uncompressed free hard disk space
Sound Card- 100% DirectX® 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers
DirectX- DirectX® 9.0c
Graphics Card- 128MB Hardware Accelerated video card with Shader 1 supportand the latest drivers. Must be 100% DirectX® 9.0c compatible.
Display Resolution- 1024x768
Internet- Internet (TCP / IP) play supported; Internet play requires broadband connection and latest drivers; LAN play requires Network card.

Important Note: Some cards may not be compatible with the 3D acceleration features utilized by Medieval II: Total War. Please refer to your hardware manufacturer for 100% DirectX® 9.0c compatibility.

Additional details:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2. All CPUs must be fully SSE2 compatible for the demo.
SSE2 is only required for the demo, SSE is acceptable for the game. The frame rate is also improved.

Any questions on whether or not your computer can run M2:TW can be asked here, and should be answered reasonably quickly

< Jarrod Nelson>
Nelson looks good in his pics - Gaurdian_112
Wow, Nelson's awfully cute... - HP Lovesauce
Thanks for ruining something that I've waited over 6 years for. - Redneck93
It might be a bit of an odd moment to say so, but I still think Nelson's smile is awesome. - Hnossa
THIS SIGNATURE IS A TESTAMENT TO MY VANITY

[This message has been edited by Admiral_Nelson (edited 12-24-2006 @ 07:15 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Cordyceps
Naphal
(id: ArchDruid)
posted 11 October 2006 14:33 EDT (US)     51 / 117       
Well, I'm gonna have to buy a new hard drive, but that was on the agenda anyways... Otherwise, I should be able to run it at pretty close to max settings
King Johan
Legionary
posted 11 October 2006 16:14 EDT (US)     52 / 117       
me specs
OS- Windows XP
Processor- AMD Athlon 64
Memory- 1 GB
Sound Card- dont know, it works for bf2 so i should be fine
Graphics Card- ATI Radeon Xpress 200
Direct X combatible

It is VERY choppy on my computer to the point it isnt fun to play. Any ideas on upgrades that will make it run smoothly on atleast low detail? It runs BF2 on medium/low decently and ran RTW pretty well on medium/low graphics, although it was choppy with 5000 units on it.

Azog 150
Legionary
posted 11 October 2006 17:01 EDT (US)     53 / 117       
Ok, i just finished the battle of pavia, my virdict? Incredible

I repelled the first cavalry charge killing the french king. My ariuqbruisers killed many knights before they even reached my lines. then i sent my zweihanders and some pike units to fend off that second wave while my cavalry general killed the scots guard.

Next i was loosing it to the second wave, one off my zweihanders was runnig away, and my pikes were starting to fall, i sent my second unit of zweihanders in to help out the pikes while they and everyone else retreated to the woods in the hill. (I actually retreated to a hill!! I would not even have dremt of retreating to a hill in Rome!)

Meanwhile my cav went down the flank to take out the enemy artillary, by this time my spanish allys had already fell and were runnig away. There i was attacked by knights, i thought my general was doomed, but he held off and the french kinghts fled for there pitiful lives.

I then sent them to take out the second wave of artillay. Meanwhile, back on the hill things were getting pretty desperate, half my army had fled for there lifes. But thanks to a heroic fight by my remeaining zweihanders, my halberds had enoguh time to flank and kill the three enemy pike groups that were attacking my zweihanders.

My cavalry had by this time charged back across the feild and killed the enemy crossbow men, my infintry had no hope off killing the remaining enemys by them selfs. My remaining arqubruisers weaked the pike mens moral and then i charged home with the ramaints of my force.

It was a hard fight, and a very close victory. The hill looked amazing afterwards as well. Didnt get any piccys of the hill, but i did of the rusults. Boy that post was long. lol

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/8313/battleresultspy1.jpg

[This message has been edited by Azog 150 (edited 10-11-2006 @ 05:05 PM).]

Musketeer100
Legionary
posted 11 October 2006 17:11 EDT (US)     54 / 117       
You will need a new graphics card.

My suggestions:

nvidia geforce 7600 gt or greater

OR

ATI radeon x1650PRO or greater

They should run the game at least at medium settings.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130062

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161026

Brock88
Legionary
posted 11 October 2006 17:39 EDT (US)     55 / 117       

Quote:

It runs BF2 on medium/low decently and ran RTW pretty well on medium/low graphics, although it was choppy with 5000 units on it.

You ran BF2 on a xpress 200? I am impressed. You must have some serious processor and RAM.

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away.
Winner of 2005 OD : Best Ownage, Funniest Newbie, and Dinoman Award
"Mastering Others is Strength, Mastering yourself makes you fearless -Lao Tzu"
Aussie Lord
Legionary
posted 11 October 2006 17:55 EDT (US)     56 / 117       
Can you change graphics cards on laptops

I have a intergrated card 915mgs 910mgl express family chipset.

So what would be my best option buy a new computer or buy some upgrades

Brock88
Legionary
posted 11 October 2006 19:00 EDT (US)     57 / 117       
You can't change the graphic card, because you don't even have one. Your graphic provider is actually a chip on the motherboard, not an actual card.

If you want to play the game, unfortunately you need a new computer, or play on someone else's computer.

If you are gonna get a new computer, I suggest checking out Brad's stickied thread on troubleshooting.

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away.
Eduorix
Legionary
posted 11 October 2006 19:54 EDT (US)     58 / 117       
I have a Qbic computer and I dont know if it is powered by SSE2.

Can someone give me an advice?

Thanks.

Brock88
Legionary
posted 12 October 2006 10:55 EDT (US)     59 / 117       
I have no idea what a Qbic computer is. The easiest way to find out if your computer can play M2 is to download and try the demo.

Duan Xuan
Legionary
posted 12 October 2006 11:53 EDT (US)     60 / 117       
Probably not. Considering how long the download might take, you will want to be sure if your processor supports SSE2 instructions. Download CPU-Z and use it to check.
Eduorix
Legionary
posted 12 October 2006 14:11 EDT (US)     61 / 117       
what this cpu z thing does to my pc?
Brock88
Legionary
posted 12 October 2006 14:58 EDT (US)     62 / 117       

Quote:

CPU-Z is a freeware that gathers information on some of the main devices of your system.
CPU

* Name and number.
* Core stepping and process.
* Package.
* Core voltage.
* Internal and external clocks, clock multiplier.
* Supported instructions sets.
* Cache information.

Mainboard

* Vendor, model and revision.
* BIOS model and date.
* Chipset (northbridge and southbridge) and sensor.
* Graphic interface.

Memory

* Frequency and timings.
* Module(s) specification using SPD (Serial Presence Detect) : vendor, serial number, timings table.

System

* Windows and DirectX version.

Apparently it checks your processor, motherboard and RAM.

yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 13 October 2006 05:17 EDT (US)     63 / 117       

Quoted from Brock:

yakcamkir, what do you think of installing games on external HDs and playing it from them?

I haven't done it, but I am told that the transfer rate is rather slow and so any sort of program or music isn't recommended. There's no real reason why not to, but I am pretty sure you can upgrade the hard drive on a laptop pretty easily (given how easy it is to get mine out).

Quoted from Ar_kai:

Not entirely sure as to whether my computer can run the M2Tw or not, but it runs Rome on highest settings fairly easily, and has a 6300 man battlefield limit on slightly lower settings.

Should I be able to run the new game with reasonable graphics?

I would guess so, but I can't be sure. My advice is try it and see, run it on high system priority too.

Also, welcome to RTWH.

Quoted from King Johan:

me specs
OS- Windows XP
Processor- AMD Athlon 64
Memory- 1 GB
Sound Card- dont know, it works for bf2 so i should be fine
Graphics Card- ATI Radeon Xpress 200
Direct X combatible

It is VERY choppy on my computer to the point it isnt fun to play. Any ideas on upgrades that will make it run smoothly on atleast low detail? It runs BF2 on medium/low decently and ran RTW pretty well on medium/low graphics, although it was choppy with 5000 units on it.

I don't think Athalon processors are supported in the demo. They are alright in the release version, but not for MP.

Also, I added a very useful link to the title post.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
Brock88
Legionary
posted 13 October 2006 10:22 EDT (US)     64 / 117       

Quote:

I haven't done it, but I am told that the transfer rate is rather slow and so any sort of program or music isn't recommended. There's no real reason why not to, but I am pretty sure you can upgrade the hard drive on a laptop pretty easily (given how easy it is to get mine out).

It's pretty easy to take out, but it's harder to change a laptop HD for 2 reasons
1) The price of a laptop HD per GB is relatively alot more expensive than the price of a desktop HD per GB.
2) I'm hard pressed to find a laptop HD that's over 160GB.

steace43
Legionary
posted 13 October 2006 11:09 EDT (US)     65 / 117       

Quote:

Processor- Celeron 1.5GHz Pentium 4 (1500MHz) or equivalent AMD processor

What AMD processor do you think would be equilant to that? I am soon going to build a new comp, so it would be very good to know before I do.

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Duan Xuan
Legionary
posted 13 October 2006 11:26 EDT (US)     66 / 117       

Quote:

I don't think Athalon processors are supported in the demo. They are alright in the release version, but not for MP.

No Yak, that can't be, since there has got to be tonnes of new AMD users out there today. I think they mean that AMD Athlon (not the newer Athlon64) processors are not supported. Athlons (32-bit) go quite a long way back, so maybe the older ones do not support SSE2 and therefore can't run the game.

Quote:

What AMD processor do you think would be equilant to that? I am soon going to build a new comp, so it would be very good to know before I do.

Can't be exact... Probably a Sempron64 2800+? Even that should be faster than a Celeron @ 1.5GHz. Anyhow, I don't recommend getting Semprons, because they're dirt cheap for a good reason. AMD can't compete with Intel's new Core 2 Duos at the moment, so they've engaged in vicious price cuts to make their products more competitive. Looks like a good time to buy cheap AMD procs. Even their dual cores are going at really low prices nowadays. I'd say get a dual core, since everyone is doing so now. You won't want to settle with the minimum system requirements.

Jax
HG Monument
(id: Jax Omen)
posted 24 December 2006 06:22 EDT (US)     67 / 117       
Unlocked so that people who need to know about system requirements can look here.

house won this
zander69
Legionary
posted 31 December 2006 10:23 EDT (US)     68 / 117       
hey ppl, have been looking around forums for decent discussions on Medievil 2 total war and about the specs and u guys seem to no ur stuff. basically i have just bought a new dell which is gona be delivered in about a week ( i no its a dell!! :P) which has the following

-Windows Vista
-Intel® Viiv™ Core™ 2 Duo E6400 Processor (2.13GHz, 1066MHz, 2MB)
-2048MB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz [2x1024] Memory
-256MB ATI® Radeon® X1300 Pro graphics card
-Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™ ADVANCED HD software
-and im assuming its Direct X combatible???

Im not to clued up on PC's as i have pretty much used Mac's all my life, which ( ill probably get slated for this:P) in truth i still prefere, apart from PC's are far ahead in the games department. anyway. to the point, i have a G5 which isnt really meant for gaming, but its runs CoD 2 pretty comfortably on medium settings with only a 64mb graphics card, i think around 2Ghz(single core) and around 2.2GB of ram. I was just wondering would this PC with those exact specs be able to run Medievil 2 total war, full screen on a 19inch flat, on medium to high settings? its only really the graphics card im worried about because im under the impression its not great for 3D gaming? if someone could give me an answer it would be very helpful .

Jax
HG Monument
posted 01 January 2007 19:32 EDT (US)     69 / 117       
In short, yes

I'm not overly knowledgeable on thePC front either, but I have a 256MB card in my Dads machine, and it runs the game just fine with large unit settings and medium/high details.

i've had a tinker, and never tried everything on full wack, but I've never encountered any lag with my current settings.

house won this
Aurelianus
Legionary
posted 08 January 2007 10:29 EDT (US)     70 / 117       
I'am thinking about buying a new PC that is able to play MTW2 properly. I have found one and these are the specifications:

-Intel Pentium 820 Dual Core
-2.80 GHz
-1024 MB RAM
-nVidia® GeForce™ GE 7300 SE PCI-Express + TV-out (composiet)
-512 MB Turbo Cache
-320 GB SERIAL ATA, 7200 rpm

What do you say?, can I play it properly?. I know it meets the minimal system requirements, but im not sure if the graphics are all right. Thanks in advance.

von Nelson
Legionary
(id: General_Nelson)
posted 08 January 2007 18:51 EDT (US)     71 / 117       
I'm not sure of the price difference, but I'd probably go with a 7600 if it's not much more.

< Jarrod Nelson>
Nelson looks good in his pics - Gaurdian_112
Wow, Nelson's awfully cute... - HP Lovesauce
Thanks for ruining something that I've waited over 6 years for. - Redneck93
It might be a bit of an odd moment to say so, but I still think Nelson's smile is awesome. - Hnossa
THIS SIGNATURE IS A TESTAMENT TO MY VANITY
Jax
HG Monument
posted 08 January 2007 19:05 EDT (US)     72 / 117       
My 256MB 7300 plays fine with Large Units and everything on High (except Shadows, weirdly). It lags a little when you get passed 5 or 6 thoousand guys, but works dandy up until then.

house won this
Pertti Susilainen
OD Loaf-ward
(id: Sukkit)
posted 28 January 2007 08:06 EDT (US)     73 / 117       
I downloaded the demo, and although it works, it lags a lot - should I say, it skips - on the lowest graphics settings. Turns out my computer barely reaches the minimum system requirements for RAM (512MB) and graphics card (128MB). So, any chance the full game would run more smoothly than the demo - for whatever reason? If the answer is yes, I guess I could rent the game or something and test it out.

Not that I have any hopes, though.

(I'm much of a computer illiterate, but if you need more data, I'll say it's a Pentium 4 2.80GHz, so everything should be alright in that front)

Hu seo þrag gewat, genap under nihthelm, swa heo no wære
"As for the comment made by eithyddyswcitwr, could you please post back with better grammar that we can all understand, thankyou."
Winner of Sul's Most Obvious Comment Award
Tsunami StudiosWildfire Games
The Frankish Throne (4.6)

[This message has been edited by Sukkit (edited 01-28-2007 @ 08:08 AM).]

RiderOfEternity
Legionary
posted 31 January 2007 11:45 EDT (US)     74 / 117       
Does the Radeon 9200 work properly with this game?

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
Remain_Unseen
Legionary
posted 31 January 2007 23:40 EDT (US)     75 / 117       
Hi everybody. I'm new here.
Anyways, I'm going to buy a laptop very soon, and I would
like to play MII:TW on it. I already have a really good gaming desktop that could handle the game, no problem.

I'm not really a computer master, so do you guys think that
this laptop is good enough to play the game relatively well?

Processor:AMD Athlon(TM) 64 X2 1.8GHz
2 Gigs Ram
120gb HD
NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 (UMA)

I think the only problem could be the graphics card. Unfortunately I have no idea how to translate how good this one is. Does anyone know if this card can support the game?
Remember, this is a laptop.

Thanks!
Remain_Unseen

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames