You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval 2 Multiplayer Discussion and Hotseat Forum
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1439 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2 Multiplayer Discussion and Hotseat Forum » (HotseatA) Hotseat position / general discussion
Bottom
Topic Subject:(HotseatA) Hotseat position / general discussion
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 52 53 54 55 56 ··· 58  Next Page »
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 07 December 2008 04:28 EDT (US)         
Hotseat game status: - Sicily has won on turn 115

Players (in turn order): (with links to write-ups) plus some other links where I consider it to be funny

Selifator: England
Kilij Ae Varyl: Spain

Venice - FACTION DESTROYED

Me Sicily

EoJ: Turks
I think I might have referenced this video before in the first crusade
This might be more appropriate... Looks like I was right there

Rankings - Turn 101

Rankings - Turn 69

Subs
Glacier_Girl played as sub for England - T29, T30
- played as sub for Sicily - T33

Monty501 played as sub for Spain T30, T 31
JuBuOrangie played as sub for Venice - T31 to T40
Lloydsgamble played as sub for Venice T41 to 42
Brutiangodofrock played as sub for Venice T43 to T65
Zsmart one played as sub for Turks T50 to T65
Hashoosh played as sub for Turks T64

Rules to note:

No 'exploiting' of any kind (e.g. putting forts on resources and stocking them with merchants) nor reloading your go to get a better result.

If I don't hear from a player within 4 days of receiving a turn, I will try to find a sub to take the turn.

If you don't expect to be able to play within 4 days, just let me know - extensions are fine (preferably not too often though please). I'll send a reminder email after a couple of days as a prompt.

If you expect an extended absence, e.g. not being able to play for over a week, you're invited to arrange a sub, giving them instructions etc so your turn is played as you'd like it to be.

An 'un-arranged' sub has the option to take over after 2 weeks or 10 turns The '2 weeks' here looks a little low, but the turn limit looks high?

[This message has been edited by SwampRat (edited 01-18-2013 @ 01:21 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 10 April 2011 04:29 EDT (US)     1326 / 1439       
Unfortunately Awesomated88 has needed to withdraw from the hotseat due to lack of available time - he sends his apologies (not that they're needed really, in the grand scheme of things).

That means we're on the look-out for a new England player. I'll look through the thread for the people who offered to sub in at some point later to day - but on the good old 'last in, first served' approach often favoured by airports (not that I think this is an airport) if anyone wants to volunteer...
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 21 April 2011 07:55 EDT (US)     1327 / 1439       
An important enough update for a double-post bump I think (not that I condone such things) - Due to a lack of other players to take over England, Selifator is stepping across from Venice to England. He's played the turn and now it's on to me for Spain turn 74.

This seems to be the final blow for Venice - I'll act as an administrator and distribute Venetian settlements to AI nations as voted by the players (including rebels). Anyone that can take settlements by force can try, but there'll be no surrendering etc.
Wibblejack
Legionary
posted 28 April 2011 08:28 EDT (US)     1328 / 1439       
Just signed up to see what it's like playing against real people! So would be great to take on a role as sub if needed.
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 29 April 2011 12:41 EDT (US)     1329 / 1439       
Well, the turn for Sicily has been with TheGodfather for 5 or so days so far and I haven't heard from him - hopefully he's just off on holiday or something rather than having pulled out - but if I don't hear anything by Sunday I'll pass it to you WibbleJack - good timing it seems... You might want to read any recent posts on the Sicily thread for background
Wibblejack
Legionary
posted 30 April 2011 05:04 EDT (US)     1330 / 1439       
OK! Will wait to hear from you.
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 14 May 2011 04:25 EDT (US)     1331 / 1439       
Ahh, jihads, naval battles, land battles, assassins and spies - this is total war!

Looks like things are getting interesting. Save on to TheGodfather
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 14 May 2011 07:35 EDT (US)     1332 / 1439       
jihads,
What?
naval battles,
What.
land battles,
What?

Well I'm ****ed.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 23 May 2011 15:22 EDT (US)     1333 / 1439       
Sorry to keep you waiting there EoJ - I might send around some battle results but I don't want to tempt fate to much by touting the current string of Spanish victories (which would have been somewhat longer had I not moved a number of units before realising that the die had been cast). The Godfather expects to take his turn this evening (his time) or next, so hopefully you'll get to have a proper look at the situation soonish.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 23 May 2011 18:42 EDT (US)     1334 / 1439       
*Sigh*
Oh, well. Let's get a-going then.

SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 24 May 2011 07:15 EDT (US)     1335 / 1439       
Don't sigh EoJ - most of what you lost to me was just the pointless Dhow things that were sitting there costing you money without really doing anything

I still have my fingers crossed (metaphorically only as they'd be getting rather sore/cramped by now) on a battle yet to come. Even if it doesn't work I think you'll see what I meant and appreciate how close it must have been.
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 29 May 2011 16:13 EDT (US)     1336 / 1439       
Please excuse the double post. Following the positive message above, The Godfather has unfortunately had to withdraw from the hotseat due to other commitments. I emailed WibbleJack a day or two ago, as the most recent volunteer - but no response yet. If anyone else is interested in taking the mantle of leading Sicily, or Spain (and I would move to take over Sicily) then please let me know.

Sicily is the stronger faction of the two and is more 'in the action' but is (I believe) the target of a jihad (and on the border with the Turks). Spain is smaller with fewer, but arguably stronger, armies - it is in the full flow of the fighting and has a couple of isolated settlements at the front line (plus will be, if I'm playing, swatting away any namby pamby jihading armies that it can). Of the two, I'd recommend Sicily, but if you're interested in playing and worried about taking on Sicily then Spain is there as an option.

I'm guessing England and Turkey would be miffed if I played both factions, but that's an option if no subs come forward...
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 22 June 2011 13:06 EDT (US)     1337 / 1439       
For the record, guys, I went away for a couple of days, hence haven't responded to anything during that time. But back now

SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 22 June 2011 15:21 EDT (US)     1338 / 1439       
Bonza, well I've taken the Sicilian turn 75 and the Turks turn 75 turn is sat in your inbox.
I will post something later - possibly after your turn - with battle results; if you could keep a record of yours that'd be rather good of you.

On the plus side, you've saved quite a bit of upkeep cost...
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 23 June 2011 10:33 EDT (US)     1339 / 1439       
On the plus side, you've saved quite a bit of upkeep cost...
Bother...

[This message has been edited by SwampRat (edited 06-23-2011 @ 03:08 PM).]

SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 23 June 2011 15:12 EDT (US)     1340 / 1439       
Don't worry, your savings aren't tonnes more than Spain's and Sicily's combined, if you take into account the shipping where things were a bit more balanced.

[This message has been edited by SwampRat (edited 06-24-2011 @ 02:25 AM).]

SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 29 June 2011 00:47 EDT (US)     1341 / 1439       
Please excuse the double post - EoJ, would you confirm whether you've been receiving my emails regarding the hotseat recently please? It seems uncharacteristic of you not to respond even if busy at the time, indicating at least one of us isn't getting emails.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 29 June 2011 07:40 EDT (US)     1342 / 1439       
I'm sorry, I've had distractions.

Today is a day where I'm going to get through a backlog of these sorts of obligations, I'm on it now

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 29 June 2011 08:27 EDT (US)     1343 / 1439       
Also, I'm adding a ships column to that spreadsheet you've done above, Swampy.

boorego
Legionary
posted 30 June 2011 16:20 EDT (US)     1344 / 1439       
Continuing the conversation me and Swampy were having in his forum, I'd like to join this game and would be more than happy to take Spain as a country.

I should warn everyone in advance, that although not a noob at Total war in the least, this will be my first hotseat campaign and all this about transferring files/saves via email seems a little confusing, to be frank; so some advice would be appreciated.

Nonetheless, the diplomacy side of the hotseat from what I've seen of Swampy's thread sounds absolutely excellent and very promising. Finally a game where people actually take the time to slow down and enjoy it, rather than just randomly attack each other with zero communication at all. Not say I don't like being competitive.

I intend to stick around for the long haul, so I won't just be kicked out once the original owner of Spain returns right?

Lastly, a few questions. Is it possible to add new countries half-way through a game, even with some modding? To be honest, you guys seem to have picked quite a random/small selection of nations; I can only assume this was done for balancing reasons. It'd be neat to get a good 6-8 people in this game.

That's all for now.

EDIT: Of course I'll learn as I go but to avoid unnecessary losses, I'd like a little friendly advice on how to best utilize the autoresolve battles. They sound slightly broken tbh (for ex, ranged units sound useless, and that it seems as if just using tons of spears is a cheap way to win?).

EDIT (AGAIN): Lastly, I have MTW2 Gold edition (the 1.4 update) with Kingdoms, as well as the Retrofit mod. All factions are playable in both.

[This message has been edited by boorego (edited 06-30-2011 @ 04:40 PM).]

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 30 June 2011 17:58 EDT (US)     1345 / 1439       
I intend to stick around for the long haul, so I won't just be kicked out once the original owner of Spain returns right?I intend to stick around for the long haul, so I won't just be kicked out once the original owner of Spain returns right?
Seeing as it's me, I rather doubt it- unless Bandito turns up again (And I saw a little eye-opening thing on facebook that makes me think not) then I'm stuck on the green for a while.
Lastly, a few questions. Is it possible to add new countries half-way through a game, even with some modding? To be honest, you guys seem to have picked quite a random/small selection of nations; I can only assume this was done for balancing reasons. It'd be neat to get a good 6-8 people in this game.
There's not much left of the others- Poland is the best AI nations, Russia, Denmark and the Papal States on one or two territories each. Venice is for all intents an AI nation now, seeing as it's about to get partitioned off.

Also, if you to ask swampy, selif and I on a few tips (ie, what's going on in this game- there's a lot of deals and stuff behind the scenes) then e-mail us all a few questions and we'll answer.

boorego
Legionary
posted 30 June 2011 20:38 EDT (US)     1346 / 1439       
Something that shouldn't be a secret I believe:

How does out-of-turn things work, as well as diplomats/messages.

Can I look at the map while it isn't my turn? How do I message a player, and if it requires a diplomat how's that work? Does my diplomat simply reach another players, than a message screen pops up letting me write something?

EDIT: Or rather, does one simply email other players; is there even an option to email someone in-game at all?

[This message has been edited by boorego (edited 06-30-2011 @ 09:05 PM).]

SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 01 July 2011 04:41 EDT (US)     1347 / 1439       
I'll send you a version of the last Spanish save this evening (which from your posting time might be your morning) to let you explore the position and have a look around. You might be able to see a very tiny portion of the map in one of the screenshots in the Spanish write-up thread.

I'll give as much detail as I can on the position (EoJ if you get bored and can remember a year ago or however long it was that you last played a Spanish turn you can chip in - although hopefully Boorego won't see Sicily as quite the arch enemy that you might describe...).

One thing you'll need to do before you can play is patch your game to version 1.5 (making sure you get the patch for the gold edition) if you have any trouble then let us know.

From the diplomatic standings screen (where it shows you which factions are reliable / untrustworthy and what they think of your faction) you can click on the faction shield for any of the human players and it'll open up a message window. That message will be seen at the start of the recipient's turn. You can email outside of the game too - which is quite handy for sending pictures of where Turkish spies/assassins are if you come across any...

If you make a diplomatic offer to a human player (it is still done by a diplomat in game) then once you submit the offer you don't immediately see whether it was accepted, the offer is then given to the other player right at the start of their turn (before they see the map or messages - so if the offer needs explanation then please do so by email rather than in-game message). If you're offering a payment then you need to have the cash available at the end of your turn to honour it or the recipient can't accept; similarly if you're asking for cash then even if the other party could have it free if they un-queue buildings or units, because they need to accept/reject the offer before taking the rest of their turn then they won't be able to accept. You can agree deals and treaties by email, although there's no guarantee that the rest of us (or you) won't be lying through our teeth - one of the things making things more interesting...
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 01 July 2011 06:34 EDT (US)     1348 / 1439       
you can click on the faction shield
Right click. Apart from that, e-mail tends to be quickest, especially if you need to know from someone before playing out your moves.

You receive the turn in an e-mail. Download it to your Medieval II Total War/mods/retrofit/saved folder (or, the retrofit mod's saved game folder), and it'll come up on the "play last game" option, as well as on the load game option. Hit the password, play it, then end your turn so the password screen for the next player (sicily, if you're spain) pops up and you can't go any further. Save the game there, attach that file (again, found in the retrofit saves folder) to an e-mail to the next player/all of us (we've been attaching all of us recently) and your turn's over

SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 11 July 2011 01:44 EDT (US)     1349 / 1439       
Right, so boorego has taken his first turn as Spain - it looks like we're moving again (at least briefly) - huzzah!
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 16 July 2011 19:14 EDT (US)     1350 / 1439       
Swampy, you've got one hell of a furious e-mail in your inbox.

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 52 53 54 55 56 ··· 58  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames