You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval 2 Multiplayer Discussion and Hotseat Forum
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.61 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2 Multiplayer Discussion and Hotseat Forum » M2TWH Hotseat (2)
Bottom
Topic Subject:M2TWH Hotseat (2)
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 02 February 2013 14:24 EDT (US)         

M2TWH Hotseat(2)

Game running (but new players welcome)
Current position: Turn 17 - Spain - EOJ - 18 June

Ranking charts:
Turn 13

Paypal standing - Turn 10

Players:
Wales (Kilij)
Milan (Selifator)
Spain (EoJ)
Denmark (ZSmart)
Hungary (SwampRat)
Kingdom of Jerusalem (LooseCannon)

Following the completion of HotseatA - let's have another game

Rather than Retrofit, this time we plan to use the Kingdoms Grand Campaign Mod (KGCM) - it's a bit of a long-winded install (three files if I recall correctly) but should be interesting.

We'll use admin mode so that players can drop in and out easily and to allow us to skip turns if there's a long wait with no sub arranged - that would really have helped on HotseatA.

As for rules, the same all encompassing "don't cheat or exploit" applies as for HotseatA. The obvious parts of that are:
don't rerun your turn or parts of it to get a better result
don't crush agents with armies
don't park merchants in a fort over a resource
don't have a crusading general with no army at sea as a free-upkeep super-fleet
crusaders/jihadist should intend to go to the crusade target (visiting other places en-route is fine)

but broadly anything that feels like it shouldn't work isn't good.

Any thoughts on playing battles and difficulty settings? I'm up for M/M and autoresolve again but open to suggestions.
Autoresolve any battles against other human factions (and any battles with allied human armies unless permission is granted). M/VH difficulty settings to give more challenge in battles but not bias autoresolve (hopefully).

In terms of timing, if there's no word from a player for 5 days the turn gets played by the AI - the limit doesn't apply if you respond to email or have said in advance you need extra time. It would be good to arrange a sub if there'll be an extended absence though as the game could lose momentum

[This message has been edited by SwampRat (edited 06-21-2013 @ 02:21 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 12 February 2013 13:56 EDT (US)     26 / 61       
Given especially that EoJ needs a moment to reinstall the mod, I'll send around a new file with the option to fight battles left on. That will be our proper starting point. Err does that mean we should be on VH rather than M for battles, or keep it at M/M to avoid any odd effects with player Vs player autoresolved battles?
Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
(id: AugustusCaesar)
posted 12 February 2013 14:41 EDT (US)     27 / 61       
Campaign difficulty affects auto-resolve, not battle difficulty. So upping the the battle difficulty to VH would be fine and wouldn't affect auto-resolve.

And yes, I would support that decision.

"An emperor is subject to no one, but god and justice" -Barbarrosa
"The best fortress a prince can possess is the affection of his people" -Niccolo Machiavelli

[This message has been edited by Kilij Ae Varyl (edited 02-12-2013 @ 02:42 PM).]

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 12 February 2013 17:00 EDT (US)     28 / 61       
Sorry, it was working last time and I only had a couple of minutes on the computer :/

On it's way!

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You

[This message has been edited by EnemyofJupitor (edited 02-13-2013 @ 08:40 AM).]

SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 13 February 2013 15:51 EDT (US)     29 / 61       
I'll (sort of) keep track of progress in the opening post, as for hotseatA. If anyone wants to do a write-up it's highly encouraged and quite jolly to do (especially if people read it...) I'll stick a link in from the opening post.

I don't plan to do a write-up this time around on the grounds of time. If you do a write-up then perhaps the stories forum would work better than this one, I seem to recall having more input from readers in the early stages of the hotseat last time when the threads were over there.

Alternatively I might ask players to put together a short (possibly propaganda filled) paragraph every say 10 or 20 turns to have as a summary in the opening post here.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 14 February 2013 07:33 EDT (US)     30 / 61       
I love that idea and think we should make it a regular thing in war stories to keep everyone interested!

SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 21 February 2013 14:41 EDT (US)     31 / 61       
Ahh, the early turns where nothing much happens - we're ticking along quite quickly at this point. On to turn 4
Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
posted 21 February 2013 20:19 EDT (US)     32 / 61       
Actually, I would say quite abit is happening, but I recon it's alot different in your corner of Catholicism.

Also, the war stories would be nice, I hope others would be interested aswell, and the every so often public summaries sound very fun too, we should definately do that...

"The best fortress a prince can possess is the affection of his people" -Niccolo Machiavelli
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 25 February 2013 14:05 EDT (US)     33 / 61       
Urgh, disaster with the moors killing my king and wiping out my army...

Andalus
Legionary
posted 26 February 2013 11:26 EDT (US)     34 / 61       
Never played a hotseat before, so I might hop into this, but first I'll have to download the mod and get a feel for it.

Also, having a map of all factions' territory in the OP would be interesting...
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 26 February 2013 13:06 EDT (US)     35 / 61       
I had a look for one of those before we started and didn't get anywhere - the faction selection screen gives some idea for specific factions and if you're planning on giving the mod a test before joining the hotseat that'll give you an even better idea.

There's no hard and fast rule on which factions you can take, I don't think we've engaged in much serious diplomacy yet (unless it's of a 'let us secretly gang up on Hungary' nature). I don't think there are any Catholic factions without any border with another player (possibly Sicily) so it would be a balance between whether it's better to take over from the AI next to an existing player or take a different faith.

If you can get happy with the mod we look forward to having you join in.

Does anyone think the pictures in the OP are too big? I can go back to thumbnails if preferred

[This message has been edited by SwampRat (edited 02-26-2013 @ 01:11 PM).]

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 26 February 2013 13:35 EDT (US)     36 / 61       
(unless it's of a 'let us secretly gang up on Hungary' nature)
Curses!

Zsmart one
Legionary
posted 26 February 2013 19:28 EDT (US)     37 / 61       
unless it's of a 'let us secretly gang up on Hungary' nature

opps is it that obvious
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 10 March 2013 15:28 EDT (US)     38 / 61       
How is the war against England going? I have a feeling that I'm about to come a cropper against the AI Byzantines and HRE, but that could be paranoia
Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
posted 10 March 2013 19:21 EDT (US)     39 / 61       
Good so far, I auto-resolved all my battles thus far, mostly because Welsh spearmen are great in autoresolve and I hate playing seige battles, no major battles yet, all I've done is take lightly defended settlements, the rest could take awhile though. England's ability to take the offensive was crippled when their stack rebelled, other than that, I haven't seen any English Armies. The war is still going to be difficult, other than Rennes in Brittany, the rest of their settlements have the dreaded Garrison Script, the units spawned from Garrison script are much better than the units they have now, so those sieges may be long.

I recon if your going to fight the Byzantines, it will be simular, but opposite, more difficult at first, but easy after Constantinople has fallen.

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 12 March 2013 11:07 EDT (US)     40 / 61       
In other nes, the Welsh and Spanish are in an alliance

LooseCannon1
Legionary
posted 21 March 2013 08:03 EDT (US)     41 / 61       
Ok, i'd like to join in as the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

SwampRat, I've set my profile to "receive notifications from download system" or do I need to set it to "I like spam"? LOL Or should I just post my email here to give you consent. The rules/FAQ/help sections don't real explain how it works without private messages
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 21 March 2013 08:30 EDT (US)     42 / 61       
I have 'powers' so can see your email regardless of settings - I'm just not meant to forward it on without your approval. I'll send it on to the others in the hotseat and possibly send you a few thousand spam emails so you don't need to post it openly.

The turn is currently with ZSmart but I expect it should move soon (we're approaching the time-limit). I'll add you in after that LooseCannon; there aren't many/complex rules but if you have any questions about them or want to discuss anything just say here.
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 31 March 2013 03:24 EDT (US)     43 / 61       
Back around to LooseCannon for turn 9 - I forgot to take screens of the ranking charts, such is life.
LooseCannon1
Legionary
posted 31 March 2013 16:48 EDT (US)     44 / 61       
Raymond gives King Baldwin and the Pope an early Easter present. Damascus is taken from the Syrian infidels. Meanwhile, an army of priests gather around Jerusalem to finish converting the heathens.

OOC: I'll send the save on in the morning.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 31 March 2013 20:11 EDT (US)     45 / 61       
Quick work. How was the AI doing?

LooseCannon1
Legionary
posted 02 April 2013 17:39 EDT (US)     46 / 61       
The AI was doing it usual bang-up job. Built a decent fleet and sent it to Italy. Maxxed out number of priests and sent each to a different province. Sent an army out into the desert while leaving a fort empty. Started paved roads in Tripoli but not Jerusalem. Mamluks and Crusaders waved at each other as they passed in the night but hey no battles to lose! All sort of things to scratch your head and go"Huh??"

And I was worried Egypt might have taken a province. LOL.
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 13 April 2013 08:45 EDT (US)     47 / 61       
Jerusalem really doesn't show up nicely on the ranking charts, ho hum
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 16 April 2013 00:44 EDT (US)     48 / 61       
*makes his support of a write up/ propaganda peice of each faction known*
that is all..

Jokes, good luck guys, and dont pick on Hungary too much..

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 16 April 2013 03:32 EDT (US)     49 / 61       
Mm, yeah. We should really write up a summery
In the last podcast I wrote a quick one from what little info I had from my point of view

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 16 April 2013 06:09 EDT (US)     50 / 61       
Yes, but post it here so it can be enjoyed with the eye, and not with my shocking voice..

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames