You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven)

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.254 replies, Sticky
Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven) » Empire: Total War Discussion thread
Bottom
Topic Subject:Empire: Total War Discussion thread
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 10 ··· 11  Next Page »
Mechstra
Banned
posted 22 August 2007 06:13 EDT (US)         
Empire: Total War is marching slowly towards us!

Relevant links:

The official site
Preview article on land combat at Gamespot
Another land combat preview at IGN
Total War Heaven Youtube channel - featuring some trailers

FAQ

1. Do we have a release date?
The game is currently scheduled to be out in February 2009.

2. How many factions will there be?
There will be 12 playable factions, all playable from the start. Currently confirmed factions are Britain, Prussia, France, Spain, America, Austria, the Dutch Republic and the Ottoman Empire. References to Peter the Great and Charles XII mean that Russia and Sweden are likely candidates as well. A CA developer has said:
We have over 50 factions in the game, and we can't create all of them in the full detail they deserve. Therefore we limit the number of playable factions, but we can't say which ones are playable just yet, simply because we haven't made a final decision. Rest assured though that all major factions (even the non-playable ones) will be represented in high detail.
3. Do we know system requirements? Will the game require Vista?
There are no released system requirements yet, but the game will run with DirectX 9.0, so Vista will not be a minimum requirement for the game. DX10 support is likely but not needed.

4. What period will the game cover?
Empire: Total War will cover the 18th century and the early 19th century.

5. What will the campaign map be?
The latest information suggests that it will include Europe, North and South America, North Africa, Central Asia, India, and Indonesia.

[This message has been edited by Kor (edited 08-27-2008 @ 05:52 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
D Furius Venator
HG Alumnus
posted 22 August 2007 12:26 EDT (US)     26 / 254       
[JPEG, (182.60 KB)]

Doesn't animate. But I'm sure there will be slightly more unit order and cohesion in the game...

Actually the few screenshots I've seen look very good indeed. Can you give us a rough idea of unit size and max number of units in a stack? Or is that hush hush?

The scale of the game is the thing that appeals most to me in a way. That and the fact that one will be able to put the ragtag American colonist ingrates firmly in their place...

Civile! Si ergo fortibusis in ero.
Wassis inem causan dux?
Gnossis vile demsis trux!

I suggest that before badgering for a translation you take the time to read it out loud. Thankyou.
Wolfpanzee
Legionary
posted 22 August 2007 12:38 EDT (US)     27 / 254       
Or they put you in your place....

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his-George Patton
You can get a lot more with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone-Al Capone
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo-H.G. Wells
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity-Karl Marx
Mechstra
Banned
posted 22 August 2007 12:39 EDT (US)     28 / 254       
Yes, if it's true to history there then a moderately competent player should be able to crush the Revolution.
Lord Ahm
Legionary
posted 22 August 2007 12:43 EDT (US)     29 / 254       
I just hope the game will become VERY detailed, so there always will be something new in store for your next campaign. I want details and depth!

Also, it's the wrong time-period

Ahm Heribeus
Is a suits murmur
Mechstra
Banned
posted 22 August 2007 12:45 EDT (US)     30 / 254       
No it isn't you big gay.

D Furius Venator
HG Alumnus
posted 22 August 2007 12:54 EDT (US)     31 / 254       
I'm reasonably confident that a new engine will allow things like the god-awful diplomacy to be sorted out. And hopefully the battle AI too. Though I do think a lot of the battle problems are caused by the facts that the battlefields in TW thus far are way too big for even huge size armies.

Wassis inem causan dux?

I suggest that before badgering for a translation you take the time to read it out loud. Thankyou.
Fattsanta
Banned
posted 22 August 2007 12:57 EDT (US)     32 / 254       
Personaly this game has massive potential but you sadi it was coming out in 2008 I could be wrong but that doesent sound like a very long time to make a game like this.
But it still looks sweet and im going to need to get like the best of the best computer to run it. my god! Stop upgrading the damn graphics MAN!
D Furius Venator
HG Alumnus
posted 22 August 2007 13:00 EDT (US)     33 / 254       
Well if it was coming out in (say) October, for Christmas, that's over a year. And clearly a lot has been done already.

And as there's no shields, there'll be no shield bug to fix. Which is nice.

Wassis inem causan dux?

Mechstra
Banned
posted 22 August 2007 13:03 EDT (US)     34 / 254       
It's been in development for a year already.
Lord Ahm
Legionary
posted 22 August 2007 13:05 EDT (US)     35 / 254       
I heard it is in a wrong time-period!

Ahm Heribeus
Is a suits murmur
Jumbalaya
Legionary
posted 22 August 2007 13:32 EDT (US)     36 / 254       
WOW I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS GAME!!

lol im jumby
Mechstra
Banned
posted 22 August 2007 13:35 EDT (US)     37 / 254       
More info from the .com

Bagpipes.

I'm totally sold.

Also, it mentions 'dismemberment'. I'm hoping this isn't just artistic licence.

[This message has been edited by Andrew Dunn (edited 08-22-2007 @ 01:37 PM).]

Wolfpanzee
Legionary
posted 22 August 2007 13:59 EDT (US)     38 / 254       
Bagpipes?

Please nooooooooo!
Well if it was coming out in (say) October, for Christmas, that's over a year. And clearly a lot has been done already.
That way we get a year to accumulate money to buy the new computers we'll all be needing in order to run this game...

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his-George Patton
You can get a lot more with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone-Al Capone
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo-H.G. Wells
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity-Karl Marx

[This message has been edited by Wolfpanzee (edited 08-22-2007 @ 01:59 PM).]

Ecthelion
Legionary
(id: p90pro)
posted 22 August 2007 14:38 EDT (US)     39 / 254       
I want to play as the Portugese during the Peninsular War.
Woot, Lines of Torres Vedras and Cazadores!

Sir, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
Swallow my pride? No thank you, Im too full of myself.
I bring you nothing but love and a shopping bag full of sexual depravity.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Tied with Meteora (****er) for Best Sig Award.
Cordyceps
Naphal
(id: ArchDruid)
posted 22 August 2007 15:26 EDT (US)     40 / 254       
The link in the opening post is broken.

Just as some bodies, from the moment of birth, are endowed with beauty, while on others nature from their very beginning bestows blemishes and wrinkles, so with souls too, some are distinguished at once with extreme grace and attractiveness, while others leave a trail of sombre and deep gloom. ~Michael Psellus, Chronographia
Mechstra
Banned
posted 22 August 2007 16:06 EDT (US)     41 / 254       
Hmm. It seems to have either disappeared or moved, and I cannot find it again.

It was a good preview, though. _
DocRobert
Legionary
(id: King Bob VI)
posted 22 August 2007 16:21 EDT (US)     42 / 254       
Wow.

Just, wow.

I can't wait. Only a year!

It will probably be out before Spore, which we've known about for years.

Wow.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 22 August 2007 17:17 EDT (US)     43 / 254       
Bagpipes?

Please nooooooooo!
Die

Form an orderly que, guys!

Here's a request- please, put 'Sharpe' down as a name for England, or at least an easter egg for it!

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You

[This message has been edited by EnemyofJupitor (edited 08-22-2007 @ 05:20 PM).]

Seleucia Reborn
Legionary
posted 22 August 2007 17:27 EDT (US)     44 / 254       
With the way sea travel has been in the TW games I have a feeling that some of our men are going to spend 20 years at sea to get to certain places.
Legion Of Hell
Centurion
posted 22 August 2007 17:41 EDT (US)     45 / 254       
I hear that say from a unit of seventy muskets around ten muskets will jam.

I also hear the its possible there won't be an HRE and a confedration of German states.

Historicial Battles could include Yorktown, Austerlitz, Waterloo or Traflagar.
Cordyceps
Naphal
posted 22 August 2007 18:18 EDT (US)     46 / 254       
This'll be the first TW game since Shogun that doesn't feature Romans of some sort (Byzantines count!). Also it might be the first TW game ever to not have the Mongols.

I wonder how religion will factor in? I honestly thought M2TW was a step backwards from BI, religiously speaking...

Just as some bodies, from the moment of birth, are endowed with beauty, while on others nature from their very beginning bestows blemishes and wrinkles, so with souls too, some are distinguished at once with extreme grace and attractiveness, while others leave a trail of sombre and deep gloom. ~Michael Psellus, Chronographia
Junya
Legionary
posted 22 August 2007 18:25 EDT (US)     47 / 254       
Are you kidding? I hated the religion aspect of BI. I found religion in M2 vastly superior.

R[3vol]UTION
Cordyceps
Naphal
posted 22 August 2007 18:51 EDT (US)     48 / 254       
Oh, you mean how it had no effect on your characters in any way? Or maybe how you couldn't convert no matter what?

It added a lot of fun stuff to BI. It wasn't perfect, and somewhere between BI and M2TW's ways of doing it would be nice, but if I had to choose between them, I'd always pick BI's method.

Jumbalaya
Legionary
posted 22 August 2007 19:08 EDT (US)     49 / 254       
I also liked M2's way of religion a lot more than BI.

lol im jumby
dsmi1
Legionary
posted 22 August 2007 19:42 EDT (US)     50 / 254       
Exciting news. Hopefully wont have to spend too much on upgrading my computer to make this work in a years time. But giving it some thought it will probably be worth it (as long as gameplay is #1).
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 10 ··· 11  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames