You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven)

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.33 replies, Closed
Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven) » Will there be a faction called Ireland.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Will there be a faction called Ireland.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Legion Of Hell
Centurion
posted 28 November 2008 13:47 EDT (US)         
Will the Irish be in ETW? If so, how will they be implemented. With the Catholics in the south and the Protestants in Ulster?

I know that during the 18th C the British were always worried about encirclement with the French invading through the south and the French coming through Ireland, as they did in the past.

If there is a Ireland faction I sense Saxo/Gaius be tempted to do an AI and if the Irish have a navy I can see him naming the flagship the Gaius, or the Seraph.

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.
AuthorReplies:
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 28 November 2008 13:59 EDT (US)     1 / 33       
Ireland was part of the Kingdom of Great Britain at the time, Legion.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
Waffentraeger
Legionary
(id: Daelon)
posted 28 November 2008 14:11 EDT (US)     2 / 33       
Of course you would ask this.

I don't think there will be, however possibly some Irish culture will be brought into the British.
Kor
Busschof Happertesch
(id: Derfel Cadarn)
posted 28 November 2008 14:16 EDT (US)     3 / 33       
It would be nice if France and Spain could hire mercenary Irish Guards, but the Irish certainly don't deserve their own faction. They were already subdued at the start of the game (if it starts at 1700) and they didn't even stage any proper revolts during this time.

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.

[This message has been edited by Kor (edited 12-22-2008 @ 07:02 AM).]

SpartanOfShadowz
Legionary
posted 28 November 2008 14:54 EDT (US)     4 / 33       
No ireland faction, but the irish faction
proud to be.

The blood we spill today is just the beginning
Proud to be American/Polish/Irish/Welsh
Empire Total War Heaven : March 3rd, 2009 US
Call of Duty 4/Call of Duty WAW/Halo 3 Beta tester
No need to spell my name, just call me Ben!
Waffentraeger
Legionary
posted 28 November 2008 15:08 EDT (US)     5 / 33       
Uh... what?
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 28 November 2008 15:16 EDT (US)     6 / 33       

I think he means he wants Irish units and people to be involved in the game. That or he is calling for the reunion of Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

Sorry to tell you this, Spartan, but the civil war is over

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
Waffentraeger
Legionary
posted 28 November 2008 16:30 EDT (US)     7 / 33       
Ah, righto. Well it might be part of those 50+ factions thing the devs were talking about.
sskrypteia
Legionary
posted 29 November 2008 05:00 EDT (US)     8 / 33       
Irish people are involved in the game. Arthur Wellesley comes to mind, and are they not supposed to be in the game?

Síleann do chara agus do namhaid nach bhfaighidh tú bás choíche. - Both your friend and your enemy think that you will never die.
SpartanOfShadowz
Legionary
posted 29 November 2008 11:28 EDT (US)     9 / 33       
What civil war?

Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 29 November 2008 11:31 EDT (US)     10 / 33       
The one in Northern Ireland about ten years ago

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
SpartanOfShadowz
Legionary
posted 29 November 2008 15:57 EDT (US)     11 / 33       
I was 4 give me a break :P

Boetje
Legionary
posted 09 December 2008 10:24 EDT (US)     12 / 33       
Ah, righto. Well it might be part of those 50+ factions thing the devs were talking about.
plausible.
probibly a rebel faction if someone of those brits treat the irsh like they were... were... Belgian or something...
(allee, i don't hate belgians i only think it is a comparable situation.)

Yep, it's true, having no sig is boring. But so is this one. Which makes my point... relatively pointless.
Can a point be a point when it is pointless?
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 09 December 2008 11:19 EDT (US)     13 / 33       
Ireland was ruled by the United Kingdom at the time - it will not be a separate faction.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b

[This message has been edited by Gallowglass (edited 12-09-2008 @ 11:21 AM).]

Roman Warlord
Legionary
posted 09 December 2008 16:31 EDT (US)     14 / 33       
I disagree slightly. While it may start out as part of as part of the UK, the region could rebel and create a faction callled Ireland.
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 09 December 2008 16:54 EDT (US)     15 / 33       

Ah, true. But CA haven't put the Jacobites in.
...war in Ireland ended all hopes of a Stewart monarch...
That war was also fought in Scotland under Viscount Dundee, and there were three Risings after that (although the 1713 one kind of sucked...there was a fourth in 1719 that was a flash in a flash in a flash in a flash in a pan in the eye of a needle's arse).

If the Jacobites aren't in because of the new faction that would need to be created, then it's likely the Irish aren't, either.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 09 December 2008 17:56 EDT (US)     16 / 33       
I seriously doubt there would be an Irish faction in the game because they didn't exist at the time. However, there was a major rebellion in 1798 and plenty of unrest throughout the 18th century so this may be incorporated. I'd also like to see Irish merc units being available as they served in many armies at the time.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Waffentraeger
Legionary
posted 09 December 2008 18:07 EDT (US)     17 / 33       
It might be a rebel army for the brits to deal with.
Primo
Legionary
(id: Marcus Orentius)
posted 09 December 2008 19:07 EDT (US)     18 / 33       
Or the Portuguese, if they're anything like they are in M2TW.

Exilian - a website for mods for Mount&Blade, Rome Total War, Empire Total War and news about Shogun 2: Total War
"There is no extreme metal, death metal, progressive metal or vegetarian metal." - Tryhard
"Light infantry, rangers, and riflemen all have the unique ability to pull yard-long poles from their arseholes and plant them in order to stave off cavalry." - BurningSushi460
wolfthe3rd
Legionary
posted 09 December 2008 20:22 EDT (US)     19 / 33       
No ireland faction, but the irish faction
proud to be.
RobertTheBruce
Legionary
posted 21 December 2008 13:02 EDT (US)     20 / 33       
it would be cool to have Prodestants in ulster and catholics in the south but the whole of Ireland was british up untill the 1900s.

"If you are a good man then how does a good man know when to kill."

"The sun never sets on the british empire"
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 21 December 2008 13:11 EDT (US)     21 / 33       

Nah, Protestants and Catholics won't be a factor in the same faction, I don't think. If they were, then Scotland would need to be Catholic (well, the Highlands, but it looks like they're included in 'Edinburgh region') and that would mean the Risings.
And CA has already ruled them out in their British faction preview.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 22 December 2008 03:07 EDT (US)     22 / 33       
Ah, true. But CA haven't put the Jacobites in.
I was looking through the official forums at the totalwar site on the Jacobite point - there's a moderate amount of discussion there (amongst the tonnes of discussion about other bit, to be fair there's lots of it on everything) and people seemed to agree that there would possibly be a Jacobite uprising if the conditions were right and the randomnumbergenerator die lands the right way.

People seemed to be mentioning some sort of official word from a CA person, but I couldn't see it. So that may just be me causing confusion.

Edit: I'll add a link for extra confuzzledness
http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/39319/t/Jacobite-rebellion.html

[This message has been edited by SwampRat (edited 12-22-2008 @ 03:17 AM).]

Waffentraeger
Legionary
posted 22 December 2008 03:29 EDT (US)     23 / 33       
confuzzledness
Would that be Confucious? Or Confused? I don't speak latin.
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 22 December 2008 05:36 EDT (US)     24 / 33       

Odd. In the British faction description, it was said that 'a brief war in Ireland ended all chance of a Stewart restoration.' That's probably a reference to Viscount Dundee's Rising in 1689, which was also fought on mainland Britain.
The Jacobite units would require a whole new faction, and to some extent still need a new tech tree.

Thanks for the link.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
sskrypteia
Legionary
posted 22 December 2008 05:48 EDT (US)     25 / 33       
I can't remember where but i recall something being said about rebellion in ireland. Perhaps it was on sharpe though... maybe i was drunk.... there are many reasons as to why i would be wrong, but i am fairly sure.

Síleann do chara agus do namhaid nach bhfaighidh tú bás choíche. - Both your friend and your enemy think that you will never die.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames