You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven)

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.40 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven) » New faction feature: United Provinces
Bottom
Topic Subject:New faction feature: United Provinces
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 03 December 2008 13:33 EDT (US)         
Along with the minimum system requirements CA ha released a new faction feature. This time it showcases the United Provinces (aka Netherlands). Trade, science and freedom of thought have flourished here since the Spanish were driven out. The United Provinces are the worlds foremost naval power, sailing to the Caribbean and the Indies.

Read the full faction feature here and feel free to discuss it in this thread.

Hussarknight
AuthorReplies:
Legion Of Hell
Centurion
posted 03 December 2008 13:57 EDT (US)     1 / 40       
They look good.

The Dutch look like a strong naval faction and will be in some bruising naval battles against the British and French in the Caribbean.

Btw why are they call the United Provinces?

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 03 December 2008 14:07 EDT (US)     2 / 40       
Because the Netherlands is made up of many provinces, of which Holland is the major one - a bit like the UK and England.

EDIT: But bang, that faction preview ticks all the wrong boxes. I know I pre-ordered this. Doesn't mean I ever have to play it, or even leave it anywhere which isn't locked and bolted, for that matter.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b

[This message has been edited by Gallowglass (edited 12-03-2008 @ 02:15 PM).]

Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 03 December 2008 14:07 EDT (US)     3 / 40       
The Dutch republic at that time was made up of seven provinces. It was called "The Republic of the Seven United Netherlands" or "The Republic of the Seven United Provinces". CA probably found that too long to put in the game so they used with United Provinces instead.

Hussarknight
Legion Of Hell
Centurion
posted 03 December 2008 14:09 EDT (US)     4 / 40       
Ahhh OK.

That seems fair enough, but I'll just call them the Dutch or the UP hehe.

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 03 December 2008 14:10 EDT (US)     5 / 40       
The Dutch republic at that time was made up of seven provinces. It was called "The Republic of the Seven United Netherlands" or "The Republic of the Seven United Provinces". CA probably found that too long to put in the game so they used with United Provinces instead.
Ah, cool. I was gonna ask the same question anyway

Good Spot Hussar. I intend to play as the Dutch on my second run of the game.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Legion Of Hell
Centurion
posted 03 December 2008 14:14 EDT (US)     6 / 40       
Ahh the Dutch.

If I go along and think of my stereotypical views of the Dutch then I will see numerous Dutch crewmen getting drunk while loading the cannons and maybe the odd sailor get stuck in the cannon.

Good old Dutch with their dodgy accents.

I wonder what the Russians will be like upon their ships?

Ventory
Legionary
posted 03 December 2008 16:54 EDT (US)     7 / 40       
Ok no more faction features, every game it is only 5, so that's it. Russia isn't playable T_T
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 03 December 2008 17:04 EDT (US)     8 / 40       
Ok no more faction features, every game it is only 5, so that's it. Russia isn't playable T_T
Erm, I can pretty much promise you that there'll be more faction features. There are 12 playable factions.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 03 December 2008 17:05 EDT (US)     9 / 40       
And there's more than five in M2TW...and RTW come to think of it. Hell, Stronghold has more than five factions

And come on, people, I answered that before Hussarknight did because Kor told me. Love me

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b

[This message has been edited by Gallowglass (edited 12-03-2008 @ 05:06 PM).]

Ventory
Legionary
posted 03 December 2008 17:25 EDT (US)     10 / 40       
It doesn't even matter if Russia is playable I barely meet the system requirements, I have to buy lots of stuff.
Waffentraeger
Legionary
(id: Daelon)
posted 03 December 2008 19:13 EDT (US)     11 / 40       
Dang hussar! You got all the news!

This in fact is good!

Ah, the orange power.. Interesting, surely a civic powerhouse.
General_II
Legionary
posted 03 December 2008 20:51 EDT (US)     12 / 40       
If they have some nice, historical floodplains or maps with canals, I'll declare this faction awesome. Even better, the option to flood fields.
Waffentraeger
Legionary
posted 03 December 2008 21:55 EDT (US)     13 / 40       
:O

That would be just filthy! Thing of the strategies that some crazy mastermind would come up with, i mean, you talking about flooding fields to slow infantry? or for farms??
jomas
Legionary
posted 03 December 2008 22:44 EDT (US)     14 / 40       
i saw something odd, you know how the first playable factions are shown on the golden thingy
it seems theres only room for 6
so mabye there only going to preview 6 of the total 12 begining stater factions?

i hope its either the russians or americans to be shown if im right
Legion Of Hell
Centurion
posted 04 December 2008 09:31 EDT (US)     15 / 40       
I re-read the United Provinces faction feature and I came upon this:

"A mere generation ago, the Dutch navy sailed into the Thames and burned the English fleet at anchor: this kind of bravado and expertise is not quickly forgotten,"

How in God's name did that happen???

Andalus
Legionary
posted 04 December 2008 10:14 EDT (US)     16 / 40       
We weren't expecting an attack and they caught us unawares. Also, some of the larger ships were out of action at that time.

This preview follows nicely on from our discussion of William III. Although both previews mention an increase in amicable relations, there is no direct link mentioned, so I expect his Dutch lands are being ignored. I expect Britain will start off with good relations towards the UP, and vice versa. Also, they will probably find a way to make it undesirable to be at war with them, since trade with Antwerp is an important factor, if not as much as it used to be with the advent of worldwide trade.

Regardless, I think the United Provinces will be a favoured faction for many of our forummers!

Edit:
And there's more than five in M2TW
They previewed Spain, the HRE, France, England, The Byzantine Empire, and Russia, I believe. That is six. And as mentioned, there is room for six previews on the site.

[This message has been edited by Andalus (edited 12-04-2008 @ 10:18 AM).]

Lord_Morningstar
Legionary
posted 04 December 2008 13:40 EDT (US)     17 / 40       
I re-read the United Provinces faction feature and I came upon this:

"A mere generation ago, the Dutch navy sailed into the Thames and burned the English fleet at anchor: this kind of bravado and expertise is not quickly forgotten,"

How in God's name did that happen???
See wikipedia on the raid on the Medway. The Dutch were a remarkably strong naval powder in the mid-17th century (at a time when England was fairly weak), and they had a number of gifted and plucky admirals who were able to pull things like that off.
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 04 December 2008 14:46 EDT (US)     18 / 40       
And it was actually their (as in, England's) own navy, so I don't need to say what I would normally say, which is a nice change

Didn't the Dutch burn the English navy in the 1500s, as well? They said so at Upnor Castle, which I think is on the Thames, and guards the route to London. England has actually been incredibly vulnerable to the Dutch throughout history, when you think about it...forgetting, of course, the fact that the Dutch had other occupations.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b

[This message has been edited by Gallowglass (edited 12-04-2008 @ 02:47 PM).]

Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 04 December 2008 17:48 EDT (US)     19 / 40       
Regardless, I think the United Provinces will be a favoured faction for many of our forummers!
I have to say that I agree. I think I'm changing my mind and playing them first. At least they'll have a good economy from the start and it'll match my name colour.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Waffentraeger
Legionary
posted 04 December 2008 17:55 EDT (US)     20 / 40       
Haha, I think orange has always been affiliated with the Dutch.
Primo
Legionary
(id: Marcus Orentius)
posted 04 December 2008 18:23 EDT (US)     21 / 40       
I always associate it with fake tans.

Exilian - a website for mods for Mount&Blade, Rome Total War, Empire Total War and news about Shogun 2: Total War
"There is no extreme metal, death metal, progressive metal or vegetarian metal." - Tryhard
"Light infantry, rangers, and riflemen all have the unique ability to pull yard-long poles from their arseholes and plant them in order to stave off cavalry." - BurningSushi460
Woolagaroo
Legionary
posted 04 December 2008 18:29 EDT (US)     22 / 40       
Don't forget hashish.
On a serious note, I'm sure there will be at least one more faction preview, hopefully Prussia.

Deutschland erwartet, dass jeder Mann seine Pflicht tun wird.
Россия ожидает, что каждый исполнит свой долг.
wolfthe3rd
Legionary
posted 04 December 2008 20:08 EDT (US)     23 / 40       
You see Legion Of Hell when I think of the Dutch I think of tall, blonde, tanky sailors loading the cannons at twice the rate any other navy could due to their sheer muscle.
sskrypteia
Legionary
posted 05 December 2008 02:29 EDT (US)     24 / 40       
When I think of the dutch, I think of them becoming my slaves on sugar plantations in my americas colony.

Síleann do chara agus do namhaid nach bhfaighidh tú bás choíche. - Both your friend and your enemy think that you will never die.
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 05 December 2008 10:00 EDT (US)     25 / 40       
When I think of the Dutch I think of Mar, and when I think of Mar I think of booze, and when I think of booze I think of Germany, and when I think of Germany I think of the Germanic tribes, and when I think of the Germanic tribes I think of the Dutch.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames