You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven)

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.42 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven) » Russia- Faction Feature
Bottom
Topic Subject:Russia- Faction Feature
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Alexander332 II
Legionary
posted 09 December 2008 20:32 EDT (US)         
Looks like Russia is confirmed as playable. No surprise.

http://www.sega.com/empire/gameinfo/factions.php?id=20

Discuss:
AuthorReplies:
Waffentraeger
Legionary
(id: Daelon)
posted 09 December 2008 21:15 EDT (US)     1 / 42       

I KNEW IT! I should of bet some gun powder on this being the next review. Lets see them strelets and hussars! (Isn't that russia?)
Alexander332 II
Legionary
posted 09 December 2008 21:22 EDT (US)     2 / 42       
Strelets are generally Russian and Hussars are generally Polish, but they can mix.

Also, it is increasingly apparent that C.A. are only going to give us features of the factions that are already confirmed playable or extremely unsurprising. If there will be another, it will probably be Spain.
el_bandito
Legionary
posted 09 December 2008 21:36 EDT (US)     3 / 42       
Hussars were originally Serbians who were employed in Hungary as light cavalry. After the 16th century, many other western nations created Hussar regiments, such as France, England, Prussia, Austria, Poland, and Russia. They all used the Hussars as light cavalry except Poland. The Polish Winged Husaria is a heavy shock cavalry. Unlike the regular Hussars who were flankers, Husaria were used for frontal charges.

Michael Jackson

[This message has been edited by el_bandito (edited 12-09-2008 @ 09:36 PM).]

Ibuprofen Redux
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 11:35 EDT (US)     4 / 42       
Well we know Poland (the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?) is playable, so with any luck winged hussars will be included.

Speaking of special hussars, I'm holding out for a feature on the Prussian Death's Head hussars. They'll probably be really awesome stats-wise, but they just look so cool...

Anyway, good about the Russians. I expect, along with streletsy (I think that's the correct plural) skirmishers, I expect to see some light Cossack-type cavalry, (if AoE3 is anything to go by) Oprichniks, and several other uniquely Russian types.

"...angry men must also be strong, if they would achieve their purpose."
-Livy
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 11:39 EDT (US)     5 / 42       

Happy, now? You know who you are

Looks good, too. If I hadn't worked out my plans with the United Kingdom already, I'd be tempted to play this.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
Andalus
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 11:47 EDT (US)     6 / 42       
Why is Russia always 'a sleeping giant' in every game? They never seem to wake up.
if AoE3 is anything to go by
It generally isn't.
Oprichniks,
Unlikely, since they were Ivan the Terrible's men, and he ruled in the 16th, not the 18th century. They were also not really a military unit.
They might make it in as a complete ahistoricality, a la Arcani.

[This message has been edited by Andalus (edited 12-10-2008 @ 11:52 AM).]

Legion Of Hell
Centurion
posted 10 December 2008 12:04 EDT (US)     7 / 42       
Yes the Russians are playable.

I like them. Can't wait for Comrade Ivan to awake into a sleeping giant, pick up his dodgy musket and attack the north of England starting with Nottingham- I mean attack the Baltic starting with Sweden!

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.
Woolagaroo
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 13:36 EDT (US)     8 / 42       
I wouldn't count on seeing the Streltsy too much in Empire. By the eighteenth century, the corp was somewhat a thing of the past. The rulers of Russia started the disbandment of the Streltsy in 1689, and although they didn't immediately go away, they were pretty much gone by 1720 and the birth of the Russian Empire. I suspect that Streltsy may be available in this game, but as a primitive early game unit that shoould be eschewed if the player wants to modernize the Russian army.
Also, what's with the flag? The flag of Imperial Russia during this period was the tricolour.

Deutschland erwartet, dass jeder Mann seine Pflicht tun wird.
Россия ожидает, что каждый исполнит свой долг.
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 13:42 EDT (US)     9 / 42       
Looks like the royal crest, to me. Makes sense if it is - the Tsars were an arrogant bunch.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
Boetje
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 13:51 EDT (US)     10 / 42       
a la Arcani.
don't you mean burning pigs?

i do hope the voice-overs will be a little more convincing then in AoEIII. and while I enjoyed the accents in M2, but i want the real deal now. please! no more Our foez are Rebelz and zrayzors.

BTW, if they are doing accents in Empire, i certainly the dutch one won't be Austin Powers-inspired. really, we do not say fasher.

Yep, it's true, having no sig is boring. But so is this one. Which makes my point... relatively pointless.
Can a point be a point when it is pointless?
Legion Of Hell
Centurion
posted 10 December 2008 14:00 EDT (US)     11 / 42       
I do know from the Gamespot podcast interview they had with a guy from the CA that whenever you click an unit and give them an order you will hear them speak in their native tongue whether it'll be British, French, American or Russian.

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.
Ibuprofen Redux
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 14:04 EDT (US)     12 / 42       
You guys are probably right about the streletsy and oprichniks, I'd forgotten about the Peterine reforms - I suppose the Russian army was pretty thoroughly westernized by E:TW.

I agree that the accents in M2 were disappointing, I hope they do make more use of the actual languages. AoE3 being a bad game or whatever aside, at least the units spoke correct languages when you selected them

-Livy
jomas
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 14:15 EDT (US)     13 / 42       
redux, not exactly
russia was reforming at the begining of the 18th century
and litterly was "a sleeping giant" it exploded with power in the 18th and did many great things
but at the start it was in a way awakening with the force of peter the great
and on a note of the streltsy, they most likely wont show up
peter the great disbanded them at the start of the 18th century and made russia a more westernized/russian army(although i do love the santa like streltsy, and hope they are in the game)

also, im very happy that they finally previewed it
i was tired of waiting
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 14:17 EDT (US)     14 / 42       
He knows he secretly means the BI gallowglasses.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
Woolagaroo
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 14:21 EDT (US)     15 / 42       
Yes, the flag is an Imperial Dynastic flag, but one that was used in the nineteenth century. Between this flag and the Ottoman flag, CA is already falling down on their historical accuracy.

Andalus
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 14:25 EDT (US)     16 / 42       
They're getting a headstart for themselves, I expect.
No I mean Arcani.
Ventory
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 15:49 EDT (US)     17 / 42       
YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 16:01 EDT (US)     18 / 42       
Yes, the flag is an Imperial Dynastic flag, but one that was used in the nineteenth century. Between this flag and the Ottoman flag, CA is already falling down on their historical accuracy.
And their knowledge of the 1689 Rising continues to disturb me.

I think this may become the most ahistorical TW game yet. Native Americans will probably end up with berserkers and a wolf-man unit.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b

[This message has been edited by Gallowglass (edited 12-10-2008 @ 04:02 PM).]

Lord_Morningstar
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 17:27 EDT (US)     19 / 42       
I think that flags are going to be an issue anyway, given how many nations changed theirs from the late 17th to early 19th centuries. I'm more concerned with historical unit rosters and provinces.
Ventory
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 17:43 EDT (US)     20 / 42       
WHO CARES IT'S RUSSIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS PLAYABLE OH YES, CAN'T WAIT Now I will use Russian Line Infantry and Heavy CAVS!
Waffentraeger
Legionary
(id: Daelon)
posted 10 December 2008 17:44 EDT (US)     21 / 42       
^^^^ Cannon fodder ^^^^
Ibuprofen Redux
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 18:30 EDT (US)     22 / 42       
You guys sometimes. It's a shame we Amis can't correct people about our military history because nobody cares about it/the CA hasn't done a preview

-Livy
Ventory
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 19:01 EDT (US)     23 / 42       
Actually Streletsy can't be used as armies, they were discontinued in 1720, but for 20 years they were mainly used as city guards, basically they were police

AND RUSSIAN POWER WILL OWN ALL!!!!!!!!!!! Sweden first, Uniting the Baltic next TUrks the third, grabbing an alliance with Prussia, and then INVADING NAPOLEONS SOORY EXCUSE OF AN ARMY!
Woolagaroo
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 19:15 EDT (US)     24 / 42       
Whatever, America's day in a Total War game has finally come. And I don't know about anyone else, but I think that an American Civil War era campaign would be perfect for an expansion.

Also, as I said before, I suspect the streltsy will be in the game, since they were a particularly important Russian institution and did exist for the early part of the game. However, they will probably be weak troops ideal for only garrisoning cities (like an Empire equivalent of town militia).

jomas
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 19:45 EDT (US)     25 / 42       
werent the streltsy pretty tough actually?
the made movable forts and won quite a few wars in there prime
then they got messed up because of ivan the terribles insane streak
but they held up well afterwards, but im pretty sure they will just be early militia considering the age
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames