You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Additional Unit Pack

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.390 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Additional Unit Pack » The Additional Unit Pack - Updates and Announcements
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Additional Unit Pack - Updates and Announcements
« Previous Page  1 ··· 6 7 8  Next Page »
Andalus
Legionary
posted 23 July 2008 18:34 EDT (US)         
The Additional Unit Pack Version 1.1 is now available for download.

This mod for RTW 1.5 adds 23 new units to the game, using mostly original textures and models. It aims to fill gaps in unit rosters, giving factions access to units they did not have before. It uses mod:switch so it will not affect your original game files.
The excellent unit cards were made by Private Clark.

1.1 is only being released as a patch which fixes bugs, adds a few new skins, and tweaks a few units. If you have not downloaded version 1.0, you must do this first.

Note that this is version 1.1. Another version with plenty more new units may be up soon.

I am open to any feedback, on faults, balancing, suggestions, even spelling mistakes. Just do not come blabbering to me about historical accuracy. As a historian myself, I am aware of how apocryphal most of these units are. AUP presents a 'what if' situation.

What if the Parthians had developed an elite core of heavy infantry?
What if the Britons had utilised cavalry to a greater extent?
What if the Greeks had used horse archers as a counter to those they faced?

But enough of my rambling, you can download this at Filefront with the following link:

http://rtw.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=4436

Or take a look at these screenshots:

The fellows who started this whole debacle: Poeni Archers.

(By the way, I have also put Poeni Archers up on the Download section as a single unit modpack, here, but why bother when you can get the whole kaboodle?)

Poeni Legionaries (Old skin) taking on Roman Elephants.

Macedonian Hypaspists, waiting...

...for the clash.

The Thracian Swordsmen move on to the Numidian Spearmen and Royal Guards.

Gothic Spearmen in the thick of it with Noble Spears (Old skin).

We are Borg Cataphract Spearmen!

Backed up by the doughty Persian Archers.

Here come the Romans! Equites Patricii chase down Heavy Spearmen, with Auxiliary Cavalry in the background.

Oh, is that all? Well get on and download it then, lazy, and see them for yourself!

[This message has been edited by Andalus (edited 11-03-2009 @ 02:41 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
neo_deus
Legionary
posted 03 May 2009 17:47 EDT (US)     351 / 390       
It's been way too long since I visited here!

Your units are getting better by the update, Andalus! I love those Armoured Pikes for Thrace, the Eastern Heavy Swords, the new Spartans and the Raiders. Also, the egyptian diplomat, a very nice touch

In the second pic of the Dacian Huntsman we can really imagine that peasant thinking "what the hell...? "

O xelin angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tede
Keimetha tois keinon rhemasi peithomenoi.

Spartacus: Total War

[This message has been edited by neo_deus (edited 05-03-2009 @ 05:51 PM).]

Andalus
Legionary
posted 05 May 2009 07:33 EDT (US)     352 / 390       
Thank you neo_deus. I have another largish update.

I've tweaked the stats and skin of Judean Zealots slightly , and given them a sword instead of spear.

Funny story there, by the way. I went to put in a little Life of Brian easter egg for the unit description, something along the lines of "Judean People's Front? We're the People's Front of Judea!" But it seems CA already beat me to it, much more subtly:
Their loyalty may be to Judea, but each group is its own 'one true' resistance movement, or peoples' front, or popular front.
Some new mercenary units:

Kurdish Javelinmen

Mercenary Pyjamamen

Thessalian Cavalry

Some units from vanilla, and some from AUP 1.0, have been tweaked a bit, some more than others. For example:

Companion Cavalry/Greek Bodyguard

Silver Shield Legionaries

Persian Archers

Heavy Peltasts (Eastern)

And Greek Royal Hypaspists
Andalus
Legionary
posted 05 May 2009 17:03 EDT (US)     353 / 390       
I have a dead lemon. I made a new, non-wicker, shield for Heavy Swordsmen. But because the wicker shields are the same on reverse and front, the shield design is also reflected onto the back. I don't like doing this really because it makes the unit look a bit odd from behind. This is what it looks like, in comparison with the wicker:

And the shield reversed on the back.

The question I put to you is threefold.
1) Would you rather a) have a wicker shield that looks less unique, but unweird, or b) have the new shield, but with it stupidly reflected on the rear?
2) If you answered b, would you rather have shield A or B (look at the url).
3) If you answered a, should I put that pattern on Cappadocian Cavalry instead?

Opinions welcome.
neo_deus
Legionary
posted 07 May 2009 10:27 EDT (US)     354 / 390       
If you want I can edit the Heavy swordsmen on 3Ds Max and make the back of the shield look good. If the model has two UVW maps, wich I believe it does.
Just send me the skin and tell me wich model you are using
I like the first shield better, by the way, and I think you should keep it on the Capaddocians as well.

Another big thumps up for this update. I think the zealots and the kurdish are an especially good add.
Maybe the Greek Royal Hypaspists could have a greek type sword?

Andalus
Legionary
posted 09 May 2009 08:50 EDT (US)     355 / 390       
neo_deus
Check your email.
Andalus
Legionary
posted 10 May 2009 04:53 EDT (US)     356 / 390       
Though I have created a plethora of new mercenaries, the steppe regions are still a bit bare of them. As such I have made some nice new ones.
Sakae Cavalry, Sakae Archers, and Steppe Spearmen:

Steppe Spearmen will also be available to Scythia and the Rebels.

Note that they will be beaten by most infantry in the game. Technically they are better than Eastern Infantry, but the AI bonuses on harder difficulties may swing the balance. Their main use is as either superior garrison troops to peasants, or, like Eastern Mercenaries, as arrow fodder. The following battle is testament to their futility against the way of the bow and horse:

Moving west, you will find more barbaric mercenaries in the form of Woad Spearmen from the British Isles.

In continuation of a theme, I have reworked the Barbarian Spearmen that Carthage will be able to recruit from Shipwrights.

Edit: Forgot one. Iberian Militia. Better than Town Militia, but not as good as Warband.

[This message has been edited by Andalus (edited 05-10-2009 @ 08:36 AM).]

neo_deus
Legionary
posted 19 May 2009 11:40 EDT (US)     357 / 390       
In continuation of a theme, I have reworked the Barbarian Spearmen that Carthage will be able to recruit from Shipwrights.
Very good idea. I think Carthage should have more units with this type of recruitment since they were famous by their mercenary armies. The market would be a good place to have african mercenaries recruited.

Edit: Andalus, where did you find the shiedls for the druids, if I might ask? I'm doing a new unit and that shield, with a some small changes, would be perfect for it.

[This message has been edited by neo_deus (edited 05-20-2009 @ 07:26 AM).]

Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 20 May 2009 10:00 EDT (US)     358 / 390       
Those Steppe Mercenaries will be a force to be reckoned with with their flying horses.

Hussarknight
Andalus
Legionary
posted 21 May 2009 06:37 EDT (US)     359 / 390       
You have not even seen the mercenary fighter planes yet!
Edit: Andalus, where did you find the shiedls for the druids, if I might ask? I'm doing a new unit and that shield, with a some small changes, would be perfect for it.
I made it myself.
mintico
Legionary
posted 21 May 2009 21:02 EDT (US)     360 / 390       
i hope v1.2 will be released before june or july, just cannot wait
keep up the good work andalus
matt will
Legionary
posted 06 June 2009 16:21 EDT (US)     361 / 390       
I think Filefront deleted the AUP file, because the link leads me to a summary of your user and it says that no files have been uploaded. If filefront has deleted then don't think its jsut you. I've heard of it happening before.

My Gondor hotseat campaign. Please Help!

Under the White Tree A Gondor short story on the fall of Minas Tirith.
Andalus
Legionary
posted 09 June 2009 16:35 EDT (US)     362 / 390       
Here is a WIP preview of a new unit, Parthian Immortals, an elite heavy cavalry unit armed with lance and bow. They will be better than Cataphracts, but fewer in number.

[This message has been edited by Andalus (edited 06-09-2009 @ 04:40 PM).]

Drakedeath
Legionary
posted 12 June 2009 07:05 EDT (US)     363 / 390       
Awesome mod. Except for the fact that FileFront apparently deleted the AUP and won't let me download it.
Andalus
Legionary
posted 12 June 2009 11:31 EDT (US)     364 / 390       
Will try and get it back up asap.

AUP will say goodbye to the days of mercenaries being nothing but cheap arrow fodder. Say hello to Batavian Mercenary Cavalry.

And Mercenary Veteranii

Excelencia
Legionary
posted 14 June 2009 09:16 EDT (US)     365 / 390       
Glad to hear this project continues! Great units Andalus! Keep them coming
Andalus
Legionary
posted 17 June 2009 18:23 EDT (US)     366 / 390       
Opinion time. Which of these do you prefer for the Immortals? With or without the mail veil?

Zoomed out picture of with mail:

I am completely undecided, so it is up to you.
Zagraf
Legionary
posted 17 June 2009 21:37 EDT (US)     367 / 390       
with the veil!
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 18 June 2009 02:10 EDT (US)     368 / 390       
With the veil they look much more dangerous and immortal, so I'd use that version.

Hussarknight
vampiric canniba
Legionary
posted 18 June 2009 02:54 EDT (US)     369 / 390       
With.

you like something both hardcore and whack
2009 RLT & ETWH Craziest Forummer Award!
I had to remove the excessive numbers of smilies I used á la VampiricCannibal so as not to inconvenience low bandwidth users too much... - Edorix
Andalus
Legionary
posted 18 June 2009 05:42 EDT (US)     370 / 390       
That seems to be the general opinion, so with it is.
holeymad
Legionary
posted 19 June 2009 02:27 EDT (US)     371 / 390       
wow man your good at making units..

they all look awesome

all anarchsit groups in the world are oppossed to all sense of organisation and government...
and yet they all have leaders - holeymad
Lasting men
Legionary
posted 24 June 2009 16:11 EDT (US)     372 / 390       
with the veil. And remember to call them Zhayedan immortals as thats the immortals on horse and you should make Achaemenid immortals that are on land. If you decided to make them also on land they un liky there Zhayedan processers they wore robes with light armor under so just make sure they still have good defencive skill just not like a cohorts.

“We call Japanese soldiers fanatics when they die rather than surrender, whereas American soldiers who do the same thing are called heroes” - Robert Maynard Hutchins

“The notion that human life is sacred just because it is human life is medieval.” - Peter Singer

[This message has been edited by Lasting men (edited 06-24-2009 @ 04:17 PM).]

Andalus
Legionary
posted 25 June 2009 05:00 EDT (US)     373 / 390       
And remember to call them Zhayedan immortals
Way ahead of you. Check the image names.
MrBonzai211
Legionary
posted 30 June 2009 15:28 EDT (US)     374 / 390       
Filefront keeps saying your mod file isn't there. Is there a problem with filefront because this is happening with everything I'm trying to download from there? WTF....
xiandaxxx
Legionary
posted 18 July 2009 02:17 EDT (US)     375 / 390       
Looks great but can't download from FF. Looks pretty though. It's kinda' like looking at a Lamborghini in a display window... it looks good, but you can't have it..

When life gives you lemons, you make grape juice and wonder how you did.
CoR_Keltanokka
Legionary
posted 25 July 2009 18:44 EDT (US)     376 / 390       
This has maybe been asked by someone already, but since I cant really find the inspiration to go through all pages, lazy that I am, I'll just ask straightly that if I download & apply the pack, is it going to prevent me from playing multiplayer? In other words, will the multiplayer units be touched by this?

"Loved by few, hated by many, feared by all. We are CoR." - }|{´COR´}|{Keltanokka-]
Monkcrazy5
Legionary
posted 25 July 2009 18:55 EDT (US)     377 / 390       
No. AUP is a different game of RTW. IF you want to play multiplayer, load of RTW vannilla, wanna play AUP? Load it up. IT's was the shortcut is for.

Monkcrazy5

Creator of the maps"of fire and of water"

Livers are icky, he can keep it. I take my heads like any good barbarian-Subrosa
For the love of...leave my liver out of your sig!-Impspy
MrBonzai211
Legionary
posted 28 July 2009 23:17 EDT (US)     378 / 390       
It's been a month and no response about filefront not working.... you think Andalus would fix that so we can all enjoy his mod....
matt will
Legionary
posted 29 July 2009 08:20 EDT (US)     379 / 390       
Look in the download information thread and you'll see the new link.

Andalus
Legionary
posted 04 August 2009 15:18 EDT (US)     380 / 390       
New previews.

Hellenic Legionaries, updated version. Post-marian troops recruitable by Greece and Macedon.

Eastern Legionaries, another post-marian unit, for Pontus and Armenia.

Pontus now has a more distinctive version of Phalanx Pikemen (but with similar stats to the Greek counterparts).

Levy Spearmen. A native unit that replaces Levy Pikemen for the Seleucids. A sort of cross between Levy Pikemen and Eastern Infantry in terms of abilities and stats.

Carthage has two new mercenary units to join their Barbarian Infantry: Samnite Warriors (recruitable in Italy) and Numidian Cavalry, probably recruitable from Cavalry Barracks.

Iberian Cavalry, a mercenary unit.

Iberian Spearmen, a medium spearman unit that can hold a line better than their other units.

Thracian Cavalry (replaces Greek Cavalry for Thrace and Macedon)

Thracian Peltasts, including mercenary version.

[This message has been edited by Andalus (edited 08-04-2009 @ 03:20 PM).]

matt will
Legionary
posted 04 August 2009 15:24 EDT (US)     381 / 390       
Very nice Andalus! I've downloaded this version and I'll be waiting for the next.

MrBonzai211
Legionary
posted 10 August 2009 22:12 EDT (US)     382 / 390       
When does it look like the update is gonna be finalized? I remember last time I asked it was supposed to be Christmas 08 lol. Anyways, keep up the good work and GET US THAT MOD SOON!
Nick The Hun
Legionary
(id: Nick_The_Hunn)
posted 06 September 2009 10:45 EDT (US)     383 / 390       
Awesome the Batavians!!

Let's hope you'll finish it soon!
DietrichStahl
Legionary
posted 08 September 2009 04:07 EDT (US)     384 / 390       
Hmmm. For some reason, I end up reading "Hypaspists" to be "Hyper-pisseds"

I like it.
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 04 October 2009 10:26 EDT (US)     385 / 390       
I love this mod. Great work, Andalus!

I'm looking forward to some new Briton units for me to steal.

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
Nogard
Legionary
posted 02 November 2009 21:20 EDT (US)     386 / 390       
Hey, I tried to click on the filefront link, but it doesn't seem to work. Could somebody please help me with this?
Andalus
Legionary
posted 03 November 2009 02:43 EDT (US)     387 / 390       
Link in the OP was incorrect. I have updated it.
Argive
Legionary
posted 16 November 2009 18:29 EDT (US)     388 / 390       
Love the mod, Andalus. Are you still shooting for a November release date, or will it be pushed back? If you are looking I also have a couple ideas for new units as well.

Also if you are still looking for a better name for those egyptian spearmen, I would call them Hellenic Aulxilia

As you removed the Urbans, can you also remove the Praetorian Cavalry? Maybe you could replace the with the Peregrini, historically a heavier cohort of Auxileries that the Romans employed to great extent in the early stages of the transformation of the Imperial System.

This would balance out the Romans, and perphaps see them wiped out a few times by the AI, and if you are playing as an Eastern Faction, maybe not have the war against Rome so difficult in the later stages of your Empire.

[This message has been edited by Argive (edited 12-06-2009 @ 03:14 PM).]

hx23frl54x32
Legionary
posted 08 December 2009 17:41 EDT (US)     389 / 390       
ANYONE WHO HAS THIS MOD AND USES IT ONLINE EMAIL ME PLZ i wanna play u just to see if i can beat u
email----- hx23frl54x32@gmail.com
Argive
Legionary
posted 07 January 2010 18:23 EDT (US)     390 / 390       
Is this project dead? There hasn't been a new post in forever......
« Previous Page  1 ··· 6 7 8  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames