Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » TWH Signature thread
Bottom
Topic Subject:TWH Signature thread
« Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10 11  Next Page »
Primo
Legionary
(id: Marcus Orentius)
posted 19 April 2006 16:45 EDT (US)         
This thread is a guide to new people who want to make signatures, which are the blocks of text that appear under people's posts.

So here we go:

Why would I want a signature?

A signature gives an identity to a forumer or and allows you to put links to sites or places that you like. You can also put in quotes from famous people or other forumers that you like or made you laugh. i.e. veni, vidi, vici.-Julius Caesar

NOTE: HeavenGames does NOT allow pictures in signatures. Therefore, the [IMG] tag is disabled. However, you can use smilies in your signature, but don't put more than 5 in them, as these take up a lot of bandwidth + loading time for slow connection users. HTML code, javascript, php and the quote tags are disabled as well.

Where do I make my signature?

You can get to the area where you make your signature by accessing your account via the account tab in the top left hand corner of the page, just below the logo. Once in, click on the 'edit signature' link and you're in.

People have underlined, bolded etc. their text in their signatures. How do I do that?

Here is a link to the list of BB Code for standard text stylising:
http://www.heavengames.com/forumfaq.shtml#bbcode

Some more BB Code:

How to centre your text:

There is a thing that the BB Code list misses out, that is the centre syntax. Big sigs with fading and the like tend to look better when centred. Here is how to do it:

[center]centred text[/center] gives you:

centred text

In case you're wondering about this little bit above: Centre = English Spelling | Center = American Spelling and I am English but the UBB Program is American.

How do I colour my text?

Colouring your text is fairly simple, you can colour your text by using the tags:

[c=red]coloured text[/c] gives you coloured text.

That's basic colouring, but you can make it look cooler by using a technique called fading, this is done by combining two colours together like so:

[c=ff0000-000000]red to black text[/c] gives you red to black text.

You can make the text look even cooler by fading from one colour to another then back again or to another colour:

[c=ff0000-000000]red to black[/c] [c=000000-ff0000]to red text[/c] gives you
red to black to red text.

[c=ff0000-000000]red to black[/c] [c=000000-00bb00]to green text[/c] gives you
red to black to green text.

Here are some patterns you can use as well:

_.,-=~+"^'`*`'^"+~=-,._

(`._.[ ]._.)

.`) (`.

o.O O.o

- - --^[ ]^-- - -

.`.

`..`._.

*~-.,.-~*

O O

׺`

(- -)

,,`,

-==-

..,,--++ ++--,,..

.: :.

+*^*+

_||_||_||

And some weird or unusual signs/characters:

a A b (3 B c C d D e E f F g G h H | |
I j J k |{ | < K l L m (v) M n N o () O p P q Q r R s $ S t ~|~ | T u
|_| U v V w W x y Y z Z ? ○ √ ∙ ♠ ♣ ♥ ♦ ♪ ♫ % * & ^ # @ !

The colour chart/table:

For single colouring you can normally just type in the colour and the program will pick it up. For fading and different shades of colour though, you'll need to use the hex triplet code. Here are a couple of colour tables for you to use. The combination of numbers and letters next to each colour show that that is what you have to put in to get the colour of your choice.

HG's colour table: http://www.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=25,319058,,20
Or you can use this one if you want:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Signature Rules

Now you know what you can do to make a signature, there are some rules to follow:

• Signatures cannot be longer than 6 (six) lines.
  • No Signatures images may be used.
  • The Tags: Code, IMG, and Quote are disabled.
  • HTML is disabled.
  • No More than 500 visible characters.

Thank you for taking the time to read this long article, any suggestions as to how to make it better are welcome.

Exilian - a website for mods for Mount&Blade, Rome Total War, Empire Total War and news about Shogun 2: Total War
    "There is no extreme metal, death metal, progressive metal or vegetarian metal." - Tryhard
    "Light infantry, rangers, and riflemen all have the unique ability to pull yard-long poles from their arseholes and plant them in order to stave off cavalry." - BurningSushi460

[This message has been edited by Marcus Orentius (edited 03-23-2007 @ 01:08 PM).]

• AuthorReplies:
    GeneralKickAss
    Legionary
    posted 08 December 2010 09:32 EDT (US)     226 / 257       
    Whoa, shit.

Your call. As I said, doesn't really matter

(Like my sig?)

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
    "You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix
    Guild of the Skalds, Order of the Silver Quill, Apprentice Storyteller
    Battle of Ilipa, 206BC - XI TWH Egil Skallagrimson Award

The word dyslexia was invented by Nazis to piss off kids with dyslexia.
    Edorix
    High King of Britain
    posted 08 December 2010 09:59 EDT (US)     227 / 257       
    Shall I put it back? Or do you think it would be too much, given my gravatar?

EDIT: what do you think...

||||||||||||||| Guild of the Skalds, Apprentice Skald: Order of the Golden Palette & Order of the Silver Quill
    ||||||||||||||| Riddles in the Dark
    |||||||||||||||
    Pritanoi Reborn - mod for Rome TW

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 12-08-2010 @ 10:24 AM).]

Liam_the_Spartan
    Banned
    posted 08 December 2010 12:17 EDT (US)     228 / 257       
    Maybe if you change your Gravatar to something not blue...
    Edorix
    High King of Britain
    posted 08 December 2010 14:35 EDT (US)     229 / 257       
    But I like my gravatar...

EDORIX
    ~ ancient briton ~

/\
    /|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
    GeneralKickAss
    Legionary
    posted 08 December 2010 18:28 EDT (US)     230 / 257       
    Well, it'll be really cool if we all show off our shiny silvery bling bling Guild titles in our sig together for added effect. It might get people's attention up for the Guild.

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
    "You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix

Edorix
    High King of Britain
    posted 10 December 2010 05:18 EDT (US)     231 / 257       
    Meh. I think I'm gonna keep my sig nice and simple, the way it is.

EDORIX
    ~ ancient briton ~

/\
    /|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
    Earl Scruffles
    Legionary
    (id: generalscruff)
    posted 15 January 2011 18:57 EDT (US)     232 / 257       
    does anyone think I should ditch the 'mad, bad and dangerous to know' bit in mine?

But I won't go to England due to the prescence of scruffy in shottingham. - Scenter102
    This is Scruff we are talking about. I can't think of anything I don't see Scruff doing just for the hell of it. - Agrippa 271
    The cake was made by Scruffy and it was... a rude shape. - Liam
    monkey in a suit on a cycle - Scenter102 describing Scruffy
    GeneralKickAss
    Legionary
    posted 27 January 2011 04:44 EDT (US)     233 / 257       
    Having great fun with the last line in my sig

Edorix
    High King of Britain
    posted 27 January 2011 12:34 EDT (US)     234 / 257       
    I've noticed. I'm quite enjoying it at the moment - it will be funnier still though when you run out of ideas or get bored.

Currently my favourite sig quote in all of HG is Kilos's though.
    Looking good Kilos -Edorix

EDORIX
    ~ ancient briton ~

/\
    /|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
    GeneralKickAss
    Legionary
    posted 26 February 2011 01:28 EDT (US)     235 / 257       
    Strangely one of the runes in the last word in my sig is not being very consistent in its display - sometimes I see the correct ae thingy, while right now I'm seeing a wretched rectangle in its place, which really spoils the mood.

Mors Lator
    Legionary
    posted 22 July 2011 21:34 EDT (US)     236 / 257       
    My Latin isn't bad. it's terrible. My signature is incorrect, seeing as Caesium is 55 on The Periodic Table Of The Elements. Could someone please help me with the grammar and the word for cheese (I know google translate is dubious)

P.S. I'm sorry for reviving this thread but it seemed almost spam to start a new thread.

Nulla ut Caseum Pellentesque
    Nothing like a bit of cheese - Me

Mors Lator = Zoto888. In case I've ever mentioned that name.

My Gravatar is a response to Punic Hoplite's
    Liam_the_Spartan
    Banned
    posted 03 September 2011 13:35 EDT (US)     237 / 257       
    Does anyone think my sig is a bit too big and colourful?
    Kilos of Thermon
    Legionary
    posted 03 September 2011 13:38 EDT (US)     238 / 257       
    Not big, but maybe colorful.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
    Cattle die, kinsmen die, the self must also die. I know one thing that never dies: the fate of the honored dead. Hvaml, Gestattr, #77.
    GeneralKickAss
    Legionary
    posted 10 September 2011 01:39 EDT (US)     239 / 257       
    It'd be better if you reorganize them a bit such that they look less chaotic.

I've also discovered that keeping the number of bright colors down makes it easier on the eye.

Oh and before I forget: I like my geisha slim and bendy with a dextrous tongue - so I can slice up watermelons with my katana and watch her lick the meat and juice off.

Through the autumn fields;
    His steed, swift as typhoon winds;
    The arrow, fleeter.
    Liam_the_Spartan
    Banned
    posted 10 September 2011 13:31 EDT (US)     240 / 257       
    I'm not allowed 7 lines though....

And the Haiku has to be separate from the quotes and stuff.

I would like to link to the separate AARs if I put it in my sig. I may just take the quotes out and add a new one if anybody says something worthy enough.
    Edorix
    High King of Britain
    posted 10 September 2011 14:02 EDT (US)     241 / 257       
    Mors Lator, didn't see your post before. The phrase "nothing like" doesn't really have any meaning in Latin, but the literal translation would be
    nihil quam frustum casei. If you want it to make sense, maybe nihil melius quam frustum casei - "nothing better than...".

EDORIX
    ~ ancient briton ~

/\
    /|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
    GeneralKickAss
    Legionary
    posted 11 September 2011 00:08 EDT (US)     242 / 257       
    Oh right... I was so intent on making the thing I forgot the 6-line limit.

Well yeah you'll just have to wait for some other one-liner to replace the twin quotes, BUT YOU WILL USE MY BADASS CREATION. Make no mistake about that.

Drakontos
    Legionary
    posted 11 September 2011 17:30 EDT (US)     243 / 257       
    Mors Lator, didn't see your post before. The phrase "nothing like" doesn't really have any meaning in Latin, but the literal translation would be
    nihil quam frustum casei. If you want it to make sense, maybe nihil melius quam frustum casei - "nothing better than...".
    Obviously I don't really speak latin, but only derivatives... but an alternative would be to say 'nothing compares to' or 'there is nothing similar to'

Also, dear world, short and simple sigs like mine are where it's at.

PROCRASTINATE NOT JAMAIS ARRIERE
    GeneralKickAss
    Legionary
    posted 12 September 2011 00:05 EDT (US)     244 / 257       
    You mean not one best sig vote at the annual awards?

Sorry, that was mean. But I would do one-line sigs if I didn't have anything to advertise for in my sig.

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 09-12-2011 @ 00:09 AM).]

Drakontos
    Legionary
    posted 12 September 2011 07:22 EDT (US)     245 / 257       
    Like the works of many great artists, my sig is not appreciated by my contemporaries in the same way it will be once I'm long gone!

Rinster
    Legionary
    posted 12 September 2011 10:06 EDT (US)     246 / 257       
    actually, yours translates better to never procrastinate, not procrastinate not...

I really have nothing to say at this point.
    Other than this.
    Total War Games Played:
    RTW
    ---|---|---|---
    Je parle un peu de franais
    Edorix
    High King of Britain
    posted 12 September 2011 11:50 EDT (US)     247 / 257       
    It's a "liberal" translation, sometimes called "bullshitting".

EDORIX
    ~ ancient briton ~

/\
    /|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
    Drakontos
    Legionary
    posted 12 September 2011 16:31 EDT (US)     248 / 257       
    There is no translation whatsoever going on in mine. I just listed two family mottos. One is 'Procrastinate Not', the other 'Jamais Arriere' (Never behind).

Looking at it now I can see why you might think that. I shall alter it slightly. Perfect the masterpiece.

[This message has been edited by Drakontos (edited 09-12-2011 @ 04:33 PM).]

Awesome Eagle
    Spear of Mars
    (id: awesomated88)
    posted 26 January 2013 02:51 EDT (US)     249 / 257       
    In response to Tryhards comment that no-one uses these threads, i shall use them. I needed to anyway.

Now i am thinking about a new signature for myself. I want something that looks good, but is also smart and allows some thought. I was thinking some quotes along the lines of:
    Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it. George Santayana
    History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are. David C. McCullough
    Few will have the greatness to bend history itself; but each of us can work to change a small portion of events, and in the total of all those acts will be written the history of this generation. Robert F. Kennedy
    but i think i would like only 2 of these. Also with my current quote, should they stay or go?

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
    History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
    Wars not make one great- Yoda
    Alex_the_Bold
    Legionary
    posted 26 January 2013 06:16 EDT (US)     250 / 257       
    I think you should keep the Yoda quote and use the first two suggestions...

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
    Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
    « Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10 11  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames