You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Red Lion Tavern
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.284 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » Now Reading?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Now Reading?
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 11 12  Next Page »
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 12 April 2012 23:07 EDT (US)         
So what are you currently in the midst of?

i am currently in the midst of Air Force by Ian Mcphedran. Very awesome book that details the new era in Australian Air power. Very detailed and reasearched with a righting style that keeps you interested. Very Recommended for the Aussies out there(Pitt..)

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
AuthorReplies:
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 13 February 2015 13:39 EDT (US)     276 / 284       
Finished The Three Generals and started reading Leviathan vs. Behemoth: The Roman-Parthian Wars 66 BC-217 AD. It isn't the most detailed book, but it does shed light on some more obscure figures and events such as Publius Ventidius Bassus (an overlooked Roman general who was the first to celebrate a Triumph by defeating the Parthians) and the invasion of the Roman near east by Quintus Labienus and Pacorus I, which was initially so successful that they temporarily extended the borders of the Parthian Empire to the Aegean Sea.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
Hannibal the Conqueror
Legionary
(id: HannibalBarcaXXI)
posted 14 February 2015 06:01 EDT (US)     277 / 284       
Read 1984 a while back, now reading Psychology: Themes and Variations by Wayne Weiten. I'm looking forward on reading more about the workings of the mind.

"I long for Darkness."
- Cormac McCarthy, The Sunset Limited.

"We are a species that ravages, plunders, kills, destroys, rapes and enslaves in the name of progress."
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 04 April 2015 02:19 EDT (US)     278 / 284       
Just finished the Destroy Carthage by David Gibbon- that book that was released to coincide with the release of Rome 2? On the whole, i found it decent, although it did remind me alot of a Ben Kane novel.

Now on to Constantinople: The Last Great Siege by Roger Crowley.

History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 22 May 2015 19:04 EDT (US)     279 / 284       
Just finished Abraham Lincoln- Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith and found it superior to the movie.

Now moving on to The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, which after reading the first three stories, is incredibly interesting!

General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 22 May 2015 21:39 EDT (US)     280 / 284       
I haven't read those myself, but I've heard that the most recent movies aren't very faithful to them.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Pitt
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 23 May 2015 09:58 EDT (US)     281 / 284       
The movies are faithful insofar as they contain characters with the names of Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson.

I've read (and re-read) and enjoyed the Memoirs and the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Have you read 'A Study in Scarlet', the first story?

I've been moving house and packing up books, in the course of which I accidentally read 'Kidnapped', 'Treasure Island' and 'The Black Arrow' in a collection of Robert Louis Stevenson stories.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins

[This message has been edited by Pitt (edited 05-23-2015 @ 10:02 AM).]

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 29 May 2015 18:12 EDT (US)     282 / 284       
I have not read a study in Scarlet. Is it part of the memoirs?

Pitt
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 29 May 2015 19:04 EDT (US)     283 / 284       
It precedes them. It's the first Sherlock Holmes story, where Dr Watson first meets Holmes. Rather than the briefer stories in the Adventures and the Memoirs, it's equivalent to a short-ish novel.

Surprisingly, it's sometimes not that easy to find. It took a few years before I came across it in a bookshop.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 16 June 2015 05:17 EDT (US)     284 / 284       
Just finished 'Stalingrad' by Rupert Matthews. The Eastern Front in WW2 never ceases to amaze and horrify me. Especially the massive casualties involved that would have been entirely unacceptable for any other country in that conflict.

Moving on to 'My Just War' by Gabriel Temkin- its a memoir of a Polish born Jew who escaped to Russia after being invaded in 1939 and later was drafted into the Red Army. Seems to be a good read.

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 11 12  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames