Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.74 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » The 'Now watching?' thread
Bottom
Topic Subject:The 'Now watching?' thread
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 27 December 2013 01:56 EDT (US)         
The theme of this thread is similar to AE's 'Now Reading?' thread except the question is, 'What tv show/film/anime are you watching or have seen recently?'.

I just saw '47 Ronin' at the theater a few hours ago and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, even though it's an extremely loose adaptation of the original (and far superior) story.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
AuthorReplies:
Zsmart one
Legionary
posted 04 April 2014 17:00 EDT (US)     26 / 74       
what is Vikings like? I've heard good things about it but I'm not sure what is about.
Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 04 April 2014 20:08 EDT (US)     27 / 74       
Vikings is really good. I just watched the second season, not including the most recently released one, which I am about to watch. It follows the story behind Ragnar pretty well, giving some things to Hollywood for effect and such. Definitely worth a watch if you are even remotely interested in the Vikings period.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 04 April 2014 21:49 EDT (US)     28 / 74       
The British History Podcast with Jamie Jeffers picks the show to pieces, which makes me want to avoid watching it due to its sheer inaccuracy. It is very Hollywood.

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 05 April 2014 00:31 EDT (US)     29 / 74       
sheer inaccuracy
Isn't most of it legend? I would suspect that there are a lot of conflicting accounts surrounding the man (although I'm sure some facts are pretty clear throughout), which would allow for a fair amount of artistic license.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 05 April 2014 02:13 EDT (US)     30 / 74       
To the best of my memory, he doesn't really dispute the legend or myth, but the things that should have been gotten right- the history side of it.

The episode can be found here. I havent listened to it for a long time. Dont get me wrong, they dont see it as all bad, but this just gives some idea...

History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 25 April 2014 01:14 EDT (US)     31 / 74       
Been watching a lot of TV lately. Religiously following the latest season of Game of Thrones, but I've also been watching Vikings, Arrow and Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. I've been watching Vikings and Arrow since they first debuted, but I dropped 'AoS' after watching the first few episodes last year and decided to pick it up again after what happened in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Happy to say that the show has improved dramatically since the initial episodes, and the "reveal" from Cap 2 has made it even better

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 25 April 2014 10:20 EDT (US)     32 / 74       
I am just getting over something of an obsession with ITV's leviathan Poirot series starring David Suchet, which recently wrapped up. At some point I might actually read some of these best-selling novels of all time...

EDORIX
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 26 April 2014 19:35 EDT (US)     33 / 74       
Saw Divergent yesterday with the GF, and it was AWESOME. Not like i expected it to be, it was better.

Is Captain America good? I have wanted to go see it since it came out..

DarthDovah101
Legionary
posted 27 April 2014 04:47 EDT (US)     34 / 74       
Cap 2 is great. It's a 70s spy thriller wrapped up in a superhero coating.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 27 April 2014 12:16 EDT (US)     35 / 74       
I dropped 'AoS' after watching the first few episodes last year and decided to pick it up again after what happened in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Happy to say that the show has improved dramatically since the initial episodes, and the "reveal" from Cap 2 has made it even better
I've started doing that too. Nearly there!

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 02 June 2014 03:44 EDT (US)     36 / 74       
*bumps thread*

Just watched Episode 8 of Season 4 of Game of Thrones, The Mountain and the Viper, a few hours ago. I knew what was going to happen, but it still made me cry manly tears

Punic Hebil
Centurion
posted 02 June 2014 17:54 EDT (US)     37 / 74       
Honestly, I think they did the trail by combat better in the show than in the books. It was more graphic and brutal, and the help of actual sounds, well they helped a lot.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 02 June 2014 20:17 EDT (US)     38 / 74       
For something visual like that, I suspect that a film interpretation of it will always be in many ways superior; I can't say the same for a lot of the other parts of the show.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 03 June 2014 03:58 EDT (US)     39 / 74       
Now watching Bones with my Gf. I love it! it is such a great show! Booth in particular is awesome and Hodges and Angela are cool as well.

DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 08 June 2014 22:51 EDT (US)     40 / 74       
So Episode 9 "The Watchers on the Wall" of season 4 of Game of Thrones... felt like I was watching the Battle for Helm's Deep for the first time Incredible fighting and character interactions, but I was surprised by 2 character deaths. Characters who are still alive at the end of A Dance with Dragons

Scenter102
Legionary
posted 08 June 2014 23:54 EDT (US)     41 / 74       
Been going through the BBC shows on Netflix. I'm currently on Red Dwarf. Next up is likely Fawlty Towers or The Office.
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 09 June 2014 03:40 EDT (US)     42 / 74       
At least with Martin involved, hopefully they won't become major characters later on in the books...

Punic Hebil
Centurion
posted 09 June 2014 13:59 EDT (US)     43 / 74       
That episode was filled with photographic mastery. That large, long panning shot showing the chaos down below was epic! The giant firing a harpoon at a guy? Brilliant! They also showed the large scale of the fight really well too, and did the characterization of Janos Slynt superbly too!

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 13 June 2014 05:23 EDT (US)     44 / 74       
Watching a wee bit of Vicar of Dibley at the moment. I love the show.

Has anyone else ever seen the Thin Blue Line with Rowan Atkinson? Its a good laugh as well, and i never knew about it before i got it last Christmas.

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 13 June 2014 05:29 EDT (US)     45 / 74       
Catching up on GoT, just had the purple wedding. Satisfying.

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 23 June 2014 07:54 EDT (US)     46 / 74       
Modern Family is a fantastic show. Watching Season 3 at the moment to go to bed, and it is great for a chuckle.

I do need a new TV sitcom thing however. I enjoy How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Scrubs, Vicar of Dibley, Friends, Modern Family, Blackadder etc.

Any suggestions?

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 23 June 2014 08:24 EDT (US)     47 / 74       
Try Being Human, perhaps?

DarthDovah101
Legionary
posted 23 June 2014 13:35 EDT (US)     48 / 74       
Chuck is really good.
Pitt
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 28 June 2014 08:24 EDT (US)     49 / 74       
I finally got around to acquiring season 2 of House of Cards. So much for getting anything done this weekend ...

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
Scenter102
Legionary
posted 28 June 2014 13:13 EDT (US)     50 / 74       
Finally! I'm able to watch Game of Thrones.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames