You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Red Lion Tavern
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, Scipii

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Yes, it is a University Thread...
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 13 February 2014 05:38 EDT (US)   
Ok- so basically i begin my first Semester of University on the 6th of March. Any helpful tips and advice from those that are still progressing or have completed their degrees?

Such as note taking methods- organisational hints? I am the first in my family to progress thus far, so i will need a bit of advice if at all possible?

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
Replies:
posted 23 February 2014 12:21 EDT (US)     26 / 65  
Medicine at Glasgow does Vancouver which is a style of Harvard. Haven't found it that bad so far.
posted 23 February 2014 23:57 EDT (US)     27 / 65  
There wasn't much more than that and music and beer on the lawn.
No wonder orientation weeks are so bad in the US; freshman can't drink. Actually, my orientation week was pretty decent, although that was a few years ago; in fact, I'm about 4 weeks from finishing my Bachelors.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
posted 24 February 2014 04:15 EDT (US)     28 / 65  
My girlfriend works for the international department of the uni, and took the pro-VC of the uni of Minnesota or somewhere on a tour. On being shown the guild bar, she asked how are the students stopped from turning up to lectures drunk/them drinking through the day.

How's that for a difference in culture?

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 24 February 2014 06:01 EDT (US)     29 / 65  
The drinking age is 18 throughout Australia.

Harvard referencing uses inline citation, which I feel disrupts the text more than footnotes, which you can always ignore or leave until you've reached the end of the page. It also means you have to have a separate list of full references at the end, because the inline citation only uses author, year and page number.

I also like commenting in footnotes, which can allow for a brief explanation of a point that would be a distraction or too clumsy if expressed in the main body.

Inline citation really is only necessary when you're handwriting an something, as in an exam (or a forum post).

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
posted 24 February 2014 07:08 EDT (US)     30 / 65  
There's nothing wrong with freshers week (or orientation or whatever) and it's kind of nice because everything is new. The only problem is there is a load of big fanfare about it when actually it's exactly the same as every other week except if you go to the official "freshers bars" they'll be wayyyy more packed than normal.

house won this
posted 28 February 2014 15:18 EDT (US)     31 / 65  
WOOO! I start next Thursday!

My O day was pretty good, went and attended some talks but left before the pub trip. I had to go back to work.

Now i am looking at the books i need to purchase..

History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
posted 01 March 2014 01:40 EDT (US)     32 / 65  
Good luck AE!
Now i am looking at the books i need to purchase..
Are textbooks in Australia as exorbitantly expensive as they are in America? I've paid upwards of $200 for one quarter of classes.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
posted 01 March 2014 18:29 EDT (US)     33 / 65  
I think textbooks are pricey everywhere. It was normal to spend about $100 (AUD) per course.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
posted 02 March 2014 01:39 EDT (US)     34 / 65  
Campus bookstores are the worse with prices. For example a math professor told me that he managed to talk the price per book for differential equations down to about $50 but what does the bookstore do? raise the price to $250 and make a 400% profit.
posted 02 March 2014 05:05 EDT (US)     35 / 65  
Most expensive I've had to pay was about 60 something for a microbiology textbook. I'm glad I don't need any more for my course.

Calling all new people. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION before asking a question. Thank you.
Alert the APOCOLYPSE is coming!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)
"TWH Guild Award (Best Duo/Trio) -Ischenous/IJ"- Tryhard. Why he chose that nomination, I don't know...
posted 02 March 2014 13:22 EDT (US)     36 / 65  
Cant you just torrent all your textbooks?

house won this
posted 02 March 2014 15:10 EDT (US)     37 / 65  
I personally can't stand reading books off of a laptop so torrenting is not a reasonable thing to do for me. although international versions are an option. Same book just not legal to sell in the US and Canada.
posted 03 March 2014 15:47 EDT (US)     38 / 65  
Download -> put on a kindle -> WINNER

house won this
posted 10 March 2014 23:41 EDT (US)     39 / 65  
I have found some useful books online that i will use for referencing and the like- but i cant get my text books unfortunately..

SO week 1 finished on Friday arvo (had a busy weekend) and overall i am keen for more. The only thing i don't know is what to do after the week? I know i have reading and everything, but besides that i am making summaries of the lectures. But i feel like i am missing something. :/ What do you all do after your lectures and tutorials for the week for that subject?

I bought my textbooks- altogether cost me just $114 for the semester. WIN!

posted 11 March 2014 03:26 EDT (US)     40 / 65  
What do you all do after your lectures and tutorials for the week for that subject?
Watch TV or a DVD, read something completely unrelated, maybe have a drink.

You're starting off considerably more studiously than I ever was. That should make your life a whole lot easier when it comes to exam time (unless your courses have end of semester major essays instead?).

At the beginning of uni you should have a lot more time than you will later. Even then, though, you should have a lot of free time for much of the semester. Until you get three or four assignments all due in the same week, of course.

posted 11 March 2014 04:41 EDT (US)     41 / 65  
I actually found that first year didn't have enough work, because you'd maybe do an essay or report, and then yiu would have nothing for ages, so I felt like I almost forgot how to do them

Calling all new people. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION before asking a question. Thank you.
Alert the APOCOLYPSE is coming!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)
"TWH Guild Award (Best Duo/Trio) -Ischenous/IJ"- Tryhard. Why he chose that nomination, I don't know...
posted 11 March 2014 07:20 EDT (US)     42 / 65  
Societies, societies, societies.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 11 March 2014 22:26 EDT (US)     43 / 65  
Yeah, the big difference between high school (or whatever you call it down there ) and college is the time consumed by school and schoolwork. You're going to find that you generally have a lot more free time in college than in your prior schooling career, which you can use for a lot of different things.

posted 12 March 2014 09:13 EDT (US)     44 / 65  
Yeah, the big difference between high school (or whatever you call it down there ) and college is the time consumed by school and schoolwork. You're going to find that you generally have a lot more free time in college than in your prior schooling career, which you can use for a lot of different things.
Beer. He means beer.
posted 12 March 2014 18:24 EDT (US)     45 / 65  
Watch TV or a DVD, read something completely unrelated, maybe have a drink.

You're starting off considerably more studiously than I ever was. That should make your life a whole lot easier when it comes to exam time (unless your courses have end of semester major essays instead?).

At the beginning of uni you should have a lot more time than you will later. Even then, though, you should have a lot of free time for much of the semester. Until you get three or four assignments all due in the same week, of course.
Check! I have essays throughout the semester and tests at the end.
Beer. He means beer.
Pity i dont drink aye?

posted 12 March 2014 21:30 EDT (US)     46 / 65  
Beer. He means beer.
Actually, I don't; can't even abide the smell of the stuff.

posted 13 March 2014 03:06 EDT (US)     47 / 65  
They will learn to love that salacious beverage.

I promise.

It is the World's favorite beverage!

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
posted 13 March 2014 04:30 EDT (US)     48 / 65  
Pity i dont drink aye?
bzzzt wrong answer

house won this
posted 13 March 2014 16:52 EDT (US)     49 / 65  
Yeah, that'll go away fast. You'll then have a phase where you can only tolerate terrible cheap beers that are available in 30 packs and are more like beer soda, then you'll graduate to only drinking extremely heavy micro-brews except on those days that you're slumming it, and shamefully turn back to ye olde Miller High Life, knowing in your heart of hearts that it is the true champagne of beers.
posted 13 March 2014 22:06 EDT (US)     50 / 65  
Yeah, that'll go away fast. You'll then have a phase where you can only tolerate terrible cheap beers that are available in 30 packs and are more like beer soda,
yea my buddies had this stuff called icehouse they got it since it was like 40 cents a can it is by far the worse thing I have ever drank.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » Yes, it is a University Thread...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames