You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Red Lion Tavern
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.323 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » Holy Roman Party XVIII: Australians All Let Us Rejoice!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Holy Roman Party XVIII: Australians All Let Us Rejoice!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 9 10 11 12 13  Next Page »
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 10 January 2017 23:52 EDT (US)         
Australia: The Land Where Everything IS Trying to Kill You

THATíS right everyone- of course I would do an Australian themed Holy Roman Party. Or should I say HOLY AUSTRALIAN PARTY! Australia is the land of Dangerous Animals, dangerous weather, and dangerous women! Our cemeteries are so full cause everyone is dying to get in them! Itís a land where most of the people believe that centuries of injustice to the aboriginal peoples can be wiped away by a little apology!

Oh, and by the by, Australiaís military record is pretty good too! You would expect people from a land where the weather, women and animals are so dangerous to be pretty decent shots- and hardy! Aussies and New Zealanders paired together in World War One creating one of the worldís most iconic and instantly recognised acronyms- ANZAC. Australia is proud (and very defensive) of its ANZAC tradition- so fine travellers, when you get to Australia donít mention that most of our troops in WW1 were aggressive and violent thieves and brawlers, even though they most certainly were!

Although Australians love to break the rules, these are some that cannot be broken in this thread:

1.Donít be a flamin Galah (look this up if necessary)! No Flaming

2.Trolls were left behind in Europe due to the lack of space on the convict ships. No Trolling

3.Fishing is one of Australiaís prime industries, we just donít like competition. No Baiting

4.We really tire of hearing how we are all descended from convicts- so donít tell us more then once a week! No double posting unless a week has passed

5.Only the golden oldies still love a nice tin of heavily processed meat! No Spam

6.We landed on Australia because we stole rule 6.

7.And then once released we went and stole rule 7.

8.Here in Aussie, a bit of stupidity- like trying to tickle a brown snake, can get you killed. No Stupidity! But the long hot days need a bit of humour to help them pass. Silliness, on the other hand, is allowed

Winners of the Order of Australia:
100: DominicusUltimus
476:
500:
1000:
1066:
1337:
1415:
1500:
1788:
1901:
2000:
2500:

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 08-16-2017 @ 01:23 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 03 September 2018 21:52 EDT (US)     251 / 323       
Yes, but not all of us have ready access to magic wands that shoot lightning, Terikel. Unfortunately (actually, probably fortunately, given how stupid some people are).

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 06 September 2018 11:39 EDT (US)     252 / 323       
Als, that observation merits the title of Truth.

Still, for those of use with mighty wands and awesome banhammers, life can be good, eh?

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 02 October 2018 20:12 EDT (US)     253 / 323       
Sooooooo yea.

Currently working on my Literature review for my PhD, and jeez it is turning into a Leviathan-sized nightmare. So much to write on with so little space. :/

History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 10 October 2018 22:37 EDT (US)     254 / 323       
Not much going on with me right now. Still hard at work writing the first draft of my novel when Real Life permits. Currently at 354 pages and 175,000+ words, but I'm sure that's going to be trimmed down once I finally finish it, reread & rewrite it a hundred times and hire an editor to work it over before I go hunting for an agent.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 26 October 2018 23:57 EDT (US)     255 / 323       
I always say that it's better to have too much written than too little. Although maybe that's just my tendency to be long-winded.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 28 October 2018 11:22 EDT (US)     256 / 323       
Had you truly the talent of Long-Windedness, such a comment as that of thee would have occupied far more space and consisted of far more runes than it actually had, and been made exceedingly verbose without adding any recognizable, functional, or practical merit while doing so- all without being of a sort of sentence that would be slammed together without proper punctuation or conjunctions and thus be known as a run-on sentence.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 07 November 2018 14:08 EDT (US)     257 / 323       
RTW coming to android?
https://twitter.com/feralgames/status/1060124700758675456?s=19

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 08 November 2018 11:44 EDT (US)     258 / 323       
I wonder if that version will be different than the PC version, and if mods will be compatible.

At last, maybe a new breath of life coming our way.

Staff, brace yourselves for more than just us in here!

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 19 November 2018 12:46 EDT (US)     259 / 323       
*sniffs armpit*

Where did everybody go? I just bathed last year!

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 28 November 2018 12:30 EDT (US)     260 / 323       
Is it my turn again?

Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 30 November 2018 17:58 EDT (US)     261 / 323       
C-c-combo breaker!... It is my turn now. Anyone get anything interesting from the recent Black Friday\Cyber Monday sales? Was looking at Total War: Warhammer II and some of the DLCs but decided I'd hold out for a better deal considering I've already got an extensive backlog of other games I could be completing.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 04 December 2018 12:25 EDT (US)     262 / 323       
I got a nice book for SinterkerstenNieuw (A combination of Sinterklaas, Christmas, and New Years, all rolled into one day). Betrayal, by Anthony Riches. It is his take on the Year of Four Emperors, much like my Rutilius stories.

I think the Europeans celebrating Black Friday with sales and gimmicks is rather funny, given that they do not celebrate Thanksgiving.

Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 04 December 2018 13:53 EDT (US)     263 / 323       
Oh nice, sounds like it should hopefully be a good read.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 05 December 2018 12:46 EDT (US)     264 / 323       
I am about halfway through it now, and it is excellent. Like all his works. He goes into far more detail that I did, but then again, I was writing ten-page blurbs for coherent posting while he is authoring a very detailed book that enraptures its reader to draw then kicking and screaming into the First Century turmoil of Roman politics, xenopolitics, sword-on-board fighting, and all the gory details of who did what to whom and how.

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 05 December 2018 21:58 EDT (US)     265 / 323       
I have missed reading fiction. i am so used to reading non-fiction now that when i pick up a novel i am lost. Its hard turning the brain back to enjoyment from work.

Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 06 December 2018 00:55 EDT (US)     266 / 323       
Fortunately I do not butt my head up against that issue too often at the moment. Isn't unusual to have the opposite occur and have profession-related reading be rather fascinating and enjoyable to dig into. Though I've always had a preference for non-fiction over fiction anyway.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 08 December 2018 11:07 EDT (US)     267 / 323       
It does depend on the professional reading. In the Army, professional reading was accounts of battles and how they were fought and won, the tactics-to-weapons developments and vice versa, and such. I found that fascinating. Now I deal with things where the professional reading consists of reading technical manuals to get a flipping Magic Box to obey the given instructions.

I much prefer fiction, where wielding a hammer against electronic boxes is nowhere near as costly as doing such in real life!

Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 09 December 2018 03:40 EDT (US)     268 / 323       
Haha, yeah, that is true, it depends on what the reading consists of. In my case it is often scientific literature (studies, etc) in human biology and\or psychology, often with an emphasis on physical and mental performance in sport. Which while the research papers can often be technical and long-winded often arouse my curiosity and interest.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 09 December 2018 09:46 EDT (US)     269 / 323       
Those do sound interesting, even to me. Your profession is evidently far better than mine is at the moment. Enjoy it whilst thou can- Life has a way of changing directions faster than an adder can strike, and lead you places you would never have dreamed of.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 22 December 2018 07:58 EDT (US)     270 / 323       
Take this thread, for instance. Once upon a time, it could grow to a length of 2500 posts faster than I could walk a marathon. Now, we are barely at 270 posts, and that almost a full year since inception.

At this rate, most of you will be in the ground and I a full two centuries older by the time we reach that magic mark.

On the other hand, I will finally be able to win one...

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 25 December 2018 07:20 EDT (US)     271 / 323       
Merry Jultid, all!

The sun has been seen to turn, and the days grow longer. We celebrate this by bringing trees into our homes and garnishing them with lights and balls, to entice further green things to grow. And of course we burn a huge bonfire. And feast like maniacs. And give gifts in our joy of the returning sun.

This was so popular back in my day that when the Christian missionaries and mercenaries came to spread their ways, we refused to abandon this ancient and wonderful tradition. So the Church Masters thought it over, and said as long as we celebrate Jesus in doing it, we can continue our ancient festivities. So here we are, now celebrating Christmas with evergreens brought into our home and decorated, grand feasts by open hearths, mirth and ale flowing within the houses, and gifts exchanged to celebrate.

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 30 December 2018 01:39 EDT (US)     272 / 323       
Merry Christmas Terikel and other HG'ers!

Hope 2019 is good to you all!

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 31 December 2018 09:57 EDT (US)     273 / 323       
Thanks.

You too, Awesome.

May thy winds always blow fair, and luck shine her light upon ye.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 03 January 2019 11:48 EDT (US)     274 / 323       
It is a new year. I may post again.

Scheveningen, a little town near us, has the wonderful tradition of building HUGE pyres, like 48 meters high pyres, of pallets and wood. There are two little villages nearby that compete to who can make the biggest pyre.

On New Years Eve, they light them on fire. You could see the flames for miles around.

This year, the wind came off the sea, heading inland. A stiff one that fed the flames and made the pyres burn brighter than normal. It also took lots of coals from the pyres and spread them all over the town. It was raining fire. Lots of gardens caught fire, some vehicles, some bikes, and not a few rooves.

Oops.

At least nobody died, though the fire department was working very hard all night long until the wind ceased picking up the fire and blowing it across the city...

DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 07 January 2019 14:19 EDT (US)     275 / 323       
I'm a couple days late, but Happy New Year everyone! I had a relatively tame New Year's Eve. Went over to a friends house for a party where much food and alcoholic creations were consumed.

We're also only a few short months away from the March 7th release of Total War: Three Kingdoms. I'm aiming to make a thread about my experience playing it within a week or two of its release. Long story short, it's looking very promising with CA overhauling diplomacy and managing the relationships between your warlord, generals and other characters will be critical to achieving victory.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
« Previous Page  1 ··· 9 10 11 12 13  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames