Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.112 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Dark Ages: Roman Revival » General Discussion
Bottom
Topic Subject:General Discussion
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 17 September 2010 14:55 EDT (US)         
Any general discussions on Dark Ages: Roman Revival should go in this thread.

Cyclohexane - it's what's for dinner!
AuthorReplies:
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 24 February 2011 03:56 EDT (US)     101 / 112       
Pirates and brigands have spawning points- places on the map where they pop up at irregular intervals. We remove the spawning point from the Red Sea.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 24 February 2011 04:34 EDT (US)     102 / 112       
The pirates in the Red Sea were probably very real, seeing that sea trade in that area had long been lucrative when the Romans used it to trade with the Axum Kingdom, then further east with India and the other peoples around. So pirates looking to surprise a merchant ship or two and enrich themselves instantly would only be natural.

Problem is, our map doesn't extend that far south - nor do I want to see it do so (would be too out of focus) - and hence the historical lucrative trade routes I spoke of are non-existent, meaning it is best that the associated levels of piracy be eliminated as well.

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix
Guild of the Skalds, Order of the Silver Quill, Apprentice Storyteller
Battle of Ilipa, 206BC - XI TWH Egil Skallagrimson Award

The word dyslexia was invented by Nazis to piss off kids with dyslexia.
Drakontos
Legionary
posted 24 February 2011 06:53 EDT (US)     103 / 112       
Pirates and brigands have spawning points- places on the map where they pop up at irregular intervals. We remove the spawning point from the Red Sea.
Brigands spawn on land, pirates in bodies of water. To the best of my knowledge, that's about all there is to it! And, well, Moses wasn't around in 500AD to help out. So the sea should probably stay.

PROCRASTINATE NOT JAMAIS ARRIERE
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 24 February 2011 07:29 EDT (US)     104 / 112       
I think he meant spawning point in the sea as in a coordinate/ a few coordinates where pirate fleets spawn, not spawning point = sea.

Or this is a lame joke, in which case -

Har har...

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 24 February 2011 08:15 EDT (US)     105 / 112       
Well, to the best of my knowledge it is just the sea in general.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 24 February 2011 10:05 EDT (US)     106 / 112       
What, pirates spawn at random at any coordinate in the sea?

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 24 February 2011 10:07 EDT (US)     107 / 112       
I thought so. I could be wrong, of course.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 04 March 2011 00:14 EDT (US)     108 / 112       
Then we have no choice but to leave it be, since we can't just remove all pirate spawns just to eliminate them in the Red Sea.

Anyway, I need the Sassanid thread unlocked and this bit of research added in (stumbled across it while working on that faction overview for BI)
Panjigāns (Pahlavi for "scorpions", or arx : a ballista equipped with heavy darts)
Ballistae (optional)
Battering ram (irrelevant)
Onagers (siege weapon) (Pahlavi name: Koshkanjirs or Mangeniks derived from Greek mēkhanikos)
And of course the Heavy Onagers to top it off. (To maintain language authenticity we could name the Onagers as Koshkanjirs, and the Heavies as Mangeniks - which looks and sounds a bit like "mangonels".)

Also, another retinue could be the Marzban, "a class of margraves or military commanders in charge of border provinces" - +1 Management, +10% Trade Income?

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 03-04-2011 @ 00:16 AM).]

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 04 March 2011 01:35 EDT (US)     109 / 112       
Done.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 09 April 2011 11:14 EDT (US)     110 / 112       
I was kinda still unsure about this and didn't want to post it in the WRE thread since it concerned the ERE as well.

We could do a "Roman Marines"/ "Milites Classiarii" unit, recruitable with a Port. These men would be great for coastal raids and actions in the Roman reconquista of the lost Mediterranean. While they would be medium infantry with strictly medium armour and attack (gladius and javelins?), they would be cheaply available since they're only marines - unlike proper legionaries or cavalry troopers who need more resources and effort to train and gather - but their garrison bonus should be halved to make them unsuitable for long-term town-policing. A further justification to their ineffectiveness as garrison could be -
Crewmen could sign on as marines, rowers/seamen, craftsmen and various other jobs, though all personnel serving in the imperial fleet were classed as milites ("soldiers"), regardless of their function; only when differentiation with the army was required, were the adjectives classiarius or classicus added. Along with several other instances of prevalence of army terminology, this testifies to the lower social status of the naval personnel, considered inferior to that of the auxiliaries and the legionaries.
Linky

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 06 May 2011 16:45 EDT (US)     111 / 112       
I like the idea, although I do wonder if we should leave it until we know how many slots we have. A similar 'raider' unit for seafaring barbarian factions could be good too. Reasonable attack but limited armour and morale, or such.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 06 May 2011 21:33 EDT (US)     112 / 112       
On average, it takes a month for someone to respond to one of GKA's suggestions on the DARR forum.

Still, thanks for the like. Regarding a similar sea raider unit for them seagoing barbies, I think the factions concerned already got them (Vikings, Sea Wolves, etc.)

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames