Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.107 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Dark Ages: Roman Revival » Mercenaries
Bottom
Topic Subject:Mercenaries
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 24 October 2010 13:15 EDT (US)         
I don't know about you, but for me, one of the things that BI got right was the mercenaries. They were the perfect mix of culture-specific and "mercenary" - you didn't have the Emperor's personal guard hiring themselves out as mercenaries, and nor would you see the generic "Barbarian Mercenaries" of RTW. With DA:RR we want to preserve this trend and update the mercenary roster with more units that have a unique feel and fit the cultures and time period of the Dark Ages. For reference, these are all the mercenaries of BI:

Mercenary Herdsmen
Mercenary Foederati Infantry
Bosphoran Mercenaries
Mercenary Veteranii
Mercenary Gallowglass
Vandal Raider Mercenaries
Mercenary Kerns
Mercenary Bucellarii
Hounds of Culann
Sughdian Warriors
Mercenary Golden Band
Mercenary Sarmatian Archers
Graal Knights
Mercenary Vandal Lancers
Mercenary Alan Nobles
Armored Camel Mercenaries
Camel Raiders
Sarmatian Mercenaries
Moorish Mercenaries
Mercenary Foederati Cavalry
Mercenary Alan Horse Archers
Mercenary Hippo-toxotai
Mercenary Equites Veteranii
Mercenary Wolfhounds
Mercenary Elephants
Mercenary Onagers
Mercenary Ballistae

What are some really unique mercenaries that you can think of that we can add to this list?

Cyclohexane - it's what's for dinner!
AuthorReplies:
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 29 March 2011 10:33 EDT (US)     101 / 107       
The Scirii have some potential as a source of Merc/AoR infantry. As per wiki, they were defeated by the Huns, and soon jumped on the bandwagon to provide the Huns with "potent infantry" in their wars with the WRE. If it's AoR - Scirian Clansmen (noblemen offering their service to conquering overlords). If it's merc - Scirian Raiders (essentially heavy skirmishers), or Scirian Warriors (proper swordsmen).

Or not at all. Just throwing it out on the table.

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix
Guild of the Skalds, Order of the Silver Quill, Apprentice Storyteller
Battle of Ilipa, 206BC - XI TWH Egil Skallagrimson Award

The word dyslexia was invented by Nazis to piss off kids with dyslexia.
Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 29 March 2011 16:45 EDT (US)     102 / 107       
Seems like a viable candidate for a unit. Someone have a headcount on the number of unit slots we have left?

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 29 March 2011 20:55 EDT (US)     103 / 107       
We may have to do some screening before the end.

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 03 October 2011 17:39 EDT (US)     104 / 107       
I've recently been thinking about AoR units, and how we should probably look into them in a more organised form - do we want to do that here (which probably could also do with some organising) or should I make a new thread?

PROCRASTINATE NOT JAMAIS ARRIERE
Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 03 October 2011 22:21 EDT (US)     105 / 107       
Do it here. More threads would make this topic more organized, but disorganize the mercenary discussion overall.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Drakontos
Legionary
posted 04 October 2011 05:08 EDT (US)     106 / 107       
Well anyway, I was essentially thinking we should list the proposed merc and AoR units by geographic region, so we can tell which regions need more developing. Presumably AoR units will include a few basic units from the factions in the areas, or otherwise a mini-roster of a mini-faction.

Mercs can be a select variety plus a few other units thrown in.

Regions being (roughly - these can have their own divisions, and also share units... but as a guide!):

Britannia
Hispania
Gallia
Germania
Scandinavia
Italia/Illyricum
Pannonia
Dacia
Thracia
Bosphorus
Africa
Egypt
Palestine
Arabia
Mesopotamia
Armenia
Anatolia

Do we agree that organising them as such (instead of by an infantry-cavalry-ranged basis as before) is a good idea?

PROCRASTINATE NOT JAMAIS ARRIERE
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 05 October 2011 12:50 EDT (US)     107 / 107       
Of coz.

Britannia: Shepherd Slingers, Mercenary Gallowglass, British Warband, Angle Mercenaries, Gaelic Mercenaries
Hispania: Shepherd Slingers, Asturian Foresters, Cantabrian Mercenaries, Mercenary Alan Horse Archers
Gallia: Shepherd Slingers, Frisian Pirates, Mercenary Alan Horse Archers, Francisca Cavalry Mercenaries

Germania: Frisian Pirates, Batavian Cavalry
Scandinavia: Einherjar, Viking Mercenaries

Italia/Illyricum:
Pannonia: Mercenary Herdsmen, Mercenary Alan Horse Archers

Dacia: Mercenary Herdsmen, Mercenary Vandal Archers, Hunnic Mercenaries
Thracia: Mercenary Herdsmen, Mercenary Veteranii, Mercenary Bucellarii

Steppes: Mercenary Herdsmen, Hunnic Mercenaries
Bosphorus: Bosphoran Mercenaries, Hunnic Mercenaries

Anatolia: Mercenary Veteranii, Mercenary Bucellarii, Hippo-toxotai Mercenaries, Equites Veteranii
Armenia: Armenian Raiders, Armenian Cataphracts

Arabia: Arab Spearmen, Arab Cavalry
Persia: Soghdian Warriors

Levant: Judean Zealots, Syrian Archers, Hippo-toxotai Mercenaries, Equites Veteranii
Egypt: Axumite Infantry, Mercenary Veteranii, Mercenary Bucellarii

Africa: Mercenary Herdsmen, Moorish Mercenaries, Mercenary Vandal Lancers, Mercenary Alan Armoured Horse Archers

I shall work on updating and refining the list tomorrow night, and try to include some of our new units from recent discussions.

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 10-05-2011 @ 12:56 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames