Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.107 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Dark Ages: Roman Revival » Mercenaries
Bottom
Topic Subject:Mercenaries
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 24 October 2010 13:15 EDT (US)         
I don't know about you, but for me, one of the things that BI got right was the mercenaries. They were the perfect mix of culture-specific and "mercenary" - you didn't have the Emperor's personal guard hiring themselves out as mercenaries, and nor would you see the generic "Barbarian Mercenaries" of RTW. With DA:RR we want to preserve this trend and update the mercenary roster with more units that have a unique feel and fit the cultures and time period of the Dark Ages. For reference, these are all the mercenaries of BI:

Mercenary Herdsmen
Mercenary Foederati Infantry
Bosphoran Mercenaries
Mercenary Veteranii
Mercenary Gallowglass
Vandal Raider Mercenaries
Mercenary Kerns
Mercenary Bucellarii
Hounds of Culann
Sughdian Warriors
Mercenary Golden Band
Mercenary Sarmatian Archers
Graal Knights
Mercenary Vandal Lancers
Mercenary Alan Nobles
Armored Camel Mercenaries
Camel Raiders
Sarmatian Mercenaries
Moorish Mercenaries
Mercenary Foederati Cavalry
Mercenary Alan Horse Archers
Mercenary Hippo-toxotai
Mercenary Equites Veteranii
Mercenary Wolfhounds
Mercenary Elephants
Mercenary Onagers
Mercenary Ballistae

What are some really unique mercenaries that you can think of that we can add to this list?

Cyclohexane - it's what's for dinner!
AuthorReplies:
eth689
Legionary
posted 25 November 2010 12:18 EDT (US)     51 / 107       
In that time rome disbanded tons of legonaries that they couldn't afford. How 'bout small units of legonaries up for hire around Southern Gual, Italy, and Britain. Maybe outlaws or rebels could be hired as a new thing too.
matt will
Legionary
posted 25 November 2010 15:36 EDT (US)     52 / 107       
For the viking mercs why don't you include an event that increases the amount available when the number of viking raids went up and then when the number of raids went down, you decrease the number of available mercs.

My Gondor hotseat campaign. Please Help!

Under the White Tree A Gondor short story on the fall of Minas Tirith.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 26 November 2010 01:51 EDT (US)     53 / 107       
Eth- in 500 there were no legions to disband. We 'tweaked' history a bit to leave Rome alive as a small vestige of its former self, based around Ravenna and Patavium. If anybody was going to be hiring legionaries, it would be this fragment, trying to revive its ancient glory.

We can have triggers to increase the merc pool, but I am not sure if the reverse would work. I think 'removing' numbers could be dangerous- drop below zero and CTD, that sort of thing. We'll let the expert work on that one.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
eth689
Legionary
posted 26 November 2010 10:29 EDT (US)     54 / 107       
i know that but i didn't know about the legonaries. when rome abandoned all their provinces bringing the soldiers to defend rome itself against the goths and then the vandals they had to have left some soldiers behind. I'll look into it, cause that would awesome having legonary mercs.
found something on this website:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~merrie/Arthur/rbri.html

[This message has been edited by eth689 (edited 11-26-2010 @ 10:33 AM).]

Rinster
Legionary
posted 26 November 2010 17:56 EDT (US)     55 / 107       
by 500 AD, there were no old-style legions left, so any roman mercs probably wouldn't be old-style legionaries or anything like that
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 27 November 2010 04:39 EDT (US)     56 / 107       
Or they are extremely old men...

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Big Red Rob
Legionary
(id: Feudal Principes)
posted 27 November 2010 09:35 EDT (US)     57 / 107       
What about mercenaries that are wearing roman armour and have their weapons? They wouldn't be roman or trained anywhere near as well as legionaries, just men who had scavenged the equipment. Fake legionaries.
eth689
Legionary
posted 27 November 2010 11:20 EDT (US)     58 / 107       
i'm not talking principes or whatever. i just call all roman legonaries. i like feudals idea
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 27 November 2010 20:33 EDT (US)     59 / 107       
Or rather, legionary retirees who've settled around lands of the former Empire, kept their armour, and passed them on to the next generation?

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix
Guild of the Skalds, Order of the Silver Quill, Apprentice Storyteller
Battle of Ilipa, 206BC - XI TWH Egil Skallagrimson Award

The word dyslexia was invented by Nazis to piss off kids with dyslexia.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 28 November 2010 05:57 EDT (US)     60 / 107       
The thing that made the legionaries so good at their job was not the armor, or the weapons, or their numbers (often lack of them). It was discipline, and training.

Scavengers picking up armor and swords from a battlefield, or the grandkid's stealing grampa's old weaponry, just won't have the same discipline or training.

Thus no matter that their arms and armor were legionary, they themselves are simple sell-swords.

Big Red Rob
Legionary
posted 29 November 2010 14:37 EDT (US)     61 / 107       
That's the point of them. They would be kitted out as elite roman troops, but would be pretty fail. They wouldn't be militia level, bit better. They would be like warbands vut with higher armour values. No pila though.
Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
(id: AugustusCaesar)
posted 30 November 2010 23:17 EDT (US)     62 / 107       
lol, the tip of the plia were designed to bend upon hitting their target, unless if we give them broken pila, not really...

"pictures barb throwing broken pila"

And as I said before, I think they;re should be Roman cult mercenaries.

and yes Im still here.

"An emperor is subject to no one, but god and justice" -Barbarrosa
"The best fortress a prince can possess is the affection of his people" -Niccolo Machiavelli
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 01 December 2010 04:15 EDT (US)     63 / 107       
Numidian Legionaries sucked bad enough, and I think this scavenged-gear unit would be around that level in battle. No particular opinion on it though (just not very cool, that's all...)

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 07 December 2010 14:53 EDT (US)     64 / 107       
We could definitely have Veteranii throughout the Eastern Empire, and could perhaps limit their presence in the West to select areas of high Roman influence, where Roman traders and their bodyguards visit regularly or something of the Roman ethos remains...?

PROCRASTINATE NOT · JAMAIS ARRIERE
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 08 December 2010 03:31 EDT (US)     65 / 107       
In the East, I agree.

In the west... less so.

Rubber_Tooth
Legionary
posted 08 December 2010 13:01 EDT (US)     66 / 107       
I relly like the idea of legionery mercs.

[This message has been edited by Rubber_Tooth (edited 12-08-2010 @ 01:13 PM).]

Thompsoncs
Legionary
posted 09 December 2010 16:16 EDT (US)     67 / 107       
lol, the tip of the plia were designed to bend upon hitting their target, unless if we give them broken pila, not really...
That's a common myth, and I have read in a good source that's nothing more than a myth.

btw, I see you also made a website on webs.com augustus. It's still a bit empty though. I will check later to see if it has content. What do you plan to put on that site?
Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
(id: AugustusCaesar)
posted 09 December 2010 20:25 EDT (US)     68 / 107       
The site is pretty old, infact before I joinned Here, I was/planning to make an online RTW clan and maybe a mod(even though I can only do text), but I lack my RTW disc, at the moment.

"An emperor is subject to no one, but god and justice" -Barbarrosa
"The best fortress a prince can possess is the affection of his people" -Niccolo Machiavelli
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 10 December 2010 04:59 EDT (US)     69 / 107       
That's a common myth, and I have read in a good source that's nothing more than a myth.
I too have read that - somewhere - though the fact remains: the pila storm kicked ass once, so bad.

eth689
Legionary
posted 10 December 2010 21:18 EDT (US)     70 / 107       
what about the second part of my old post. that got forgotten. can we put in bandits? maybe they are tier 2 and throw axes/knives before fighting with clubs/axes. just an outline, you others can fill it in as i read about them.
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 11 December 2010 03:42 EDT (US)     71 / 107       
A club is a good choice for a new weapon model, methinks.

Mercenary Bandits/ Cutthroats/ Gangsters? Sounds like a good candidate for a new rebel unit to me. Could also be included as a mercenary unit, of course. Don't see why not, except perhaps the fact that they won't be of much use except when aimed at lightly equipped infantry or peasants.

eth689
Legionary
posted 23 December 2010 13:47 EDT (US)     72 / 107       
but remember, first they hit the person with throwing knives/axes/clubs before attacking in hand to hand. and they would be able to ambush really well (having practiced on unarmed rich people) i'd say they be decent soldiers.
Big Red Rob
Legionary
posted 28 December 2010 06:18 EDT (US)     73 / 107       
That would be if they had experience though. They wouldn't have training. They would be pretty crappy.
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 25 January 2011 07:18 EDT (US)     74 / 107       
In my undeniable genius I have thought up a new unit at last!

I propose we replace the Merc Foederati Cav with fearsome Batavian Cavalry - with the swimming ability. They'd be in available around the Rhine Delta.

Wiki article on the Batavi.
Tacitus (De origine et situ Germanorum XXIX) described the Batavi as the bravest of the tribes of the area, hardened in the Germanic wars, with cohorts under their own commanders transferred to Britannia. They retained the honour of the ancient association with the Romans, not required to pay tribute or taxes and used by the Romans only for war: "They furnished to the Empire nothing but men and arms", Tacitus remarked. Well-regarded for their skills in horsemanship and swimming—for men and horses could cross the Rhine without losing formation, according to Tacitus.
EDIT: Or, as I soon found out, since the Batavi were soon merged with the Salian Franks, we could call them Salian Cavalry instead and mention the Batavian origin in the unit description. They would serve as a toughened version of the Foederati Cavalry, with better defense, and either a higher charge bonus or attack stat. About the skin, I think they can adopt the Foederati hairstyle, and be armed with a sword and shield instead of a spear.

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 01-25-2011 @ 07:56 AM).]

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 25 January 2011 08:08 EDT (US)     75 / 107       
I wrote a whole series about the Batavian revolt here. Eight of their cohorts practically destroyed the I Germanica in battle, and later forced the rest of it and the XVI Gallica to not only surrender but to join the revolt.

It took eight veteran legions coming up from Italia to crush them.

Their cavalry was indeed impressive by the local standards.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 25 January 2011 09:03 EDT (US)     76 / 107       
Would you like us to overpower them, then, GMS?

Alpha211
Legionary
posted 30 January 2011 13:53 EDT (US)     77 / 107       
I dont know whether this will qualify as a roman unit or you dont want any new suggestions but. Some information i looked at suggested some of the "pure" roman calvary (not sure if east or west) was a "semi-elite" force:

Roman Strategikon heavy Calvary (by accident may be the name of the drill book or something)

They were heavily armed & armoured to certain extent. A mobile professional unit of roman calvary armoured in heavy cuirass, leg armour, (light) arm armour & helmet. Armed with adapted composite bow, shield & longsword.
Rubber_Tooth
Legionary
posted 13 February 2011 16:23 EDT (US)     78 / 107       
Sound like eastern.
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 14 February 2011 02:21 EDT (US)     79 / 107       
Rural
Mercenary Herdsmen - Steppes, Balkans, Vandal Africa
Shepherd Boys - Europe from Atlantic to Steppes (Britain & Spain very cheap)

Infantry
Soghdian Warriors - as BI
Bosphoran Mercenaries - Black Sea regions (NW parts)
Mercenary Veteranii - as BI, roughly ERE lands
Mercenary Gallowglass - Only in the Briton, Scottish and Irish parts.
British Warband - Britain
Einherjar - Norselands
Frisian Pirates - NE Gaul, NW Germania
Angle Mercenaries - Eastern England
Viking Mercenaries - Norselands, North Sea, and around the Baltic

Missiles
Gaelic Mercenaries - Kerns. Ireland, Scotland
Mercenary Bucellarii - as BI
Asturian Foresters - NW Spain
Cantabrian Mercenaries - N Spain

Cavalry
Mercenary Vandal Lancers - as BI, North Africa
Moorish Cavalry Mercenaries - NW Africa
Mercenary Alan Horse Archers - as BI
Mercenary Alan Armoured Horse Archers - Eastern, Western Spain
Mercenary Hippo-toxotai - as BI
Mercenary Equites Veteranii - as BI
Mercenary Francisca Cavalry - N Gaul
Mercenary Vandal Raiders - Balkans
Hunnic Mercenaries - Balkans, Steppes (cav)
Batavian/Salian Cavalry - Frisia

The roster so far. I should get a medal for all this. The cav dept is a bit monotonous, IMO.

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 02-14-2011 @ 04:42 AM).]

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 14 February 2011 02:25 EDT (US)     80 / 107       
Viking mercs should be available in North Sea areas, Scandinavia, and Baltic Sea areas- not Black Sea.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 14 February 2011 05:39 EDT (US)     81 / 107       
Don't forget the Arab Spears, Cavalry and Camelry! Judean Zealots. Maybe some Aethiopians in Egypt, for variety. Syrian archers, Armenian cataphracts, cataphract archers, Elephants,

These all work as AoR too. Indeed, probably better as AoR, to give factions which aren't local to the region something of the flavour, and something to counter factional units. (Armenians for use against the Alan Kingdom in Armenia, and the Sassanids).

But still, mercenaries should be a selection of the AoR units for the most part, IMO.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 16 February 2011 05:42 EDT (US)     82 / 107       
Syrian Archers - lethal composite bow-wielders, but ineffective in damp climates like those of NW Europe.

Arab Spearmen - cheaply available large blocks of arrow fodder?

Arab Cavalry - Bedouins reloaded.

Judean Zealots - experts at hiding, armed with a scimitar and a round shield.

Aethiopian/Axumite Infantry - decent spearmen arrived from the southern trading power of Axum?

Armenian Cataphracts - these should be rare and expensive since Armenia was very weak and constantly fought over between the Sassanids and the ERE. Occasionally an Armenian noble might approach an invading general with his band of household troops and offer him their service...

Armenian Raiders/Guerrillas/Marauders - these guys would be looking for action against their Sassanid/Roman/Alan oppressors.

These are all I've got for the moment. At least leave a simple yay or nay about the units, please.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 16 February 2011 06:28 EDT (US)     83 / 107       
Drop Arab spearmen. The deserts and oases were never fertile enough to grant large numbers of footmen, and to be on foot in the desert without a beast to carry enough water to the next waterhole was a death sentence. The Arabs were mostly mobile anyway.

Otherwise no objections.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 16 February 2011 07:53 EDT (US)     84 / 107       
but ineffective in damp climates like those of NW Europe.
To be fair this bit is a load of rubbish. Sure, theoretically it should be so, and the flavour text says so, but last time I checked there wasn't actually any disadvantage to using RTW's composite bows in northern and western Europe. Just a hint for all players out there!

Keep it in the flavour text, sure.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 19 February 2011 20:12 EDT (US)     85 / 107       
Disadvantages (Composite Bow)
Constructing composite bows requires much more time and a greater variety of materials than self bows, and the animal glue traditionally used can lose strength in humid conditions and be quickly ruined by submersion. An authority suggests that crafting a composite bow may take a week's work, excluding drying time (months) and gathering materials, while a self bow can be made in a day and dried in a week.[2] Peoples living in humid or rainy regions historically have favoured self-bows, while those living in dry or arid regions have favoured composite bows.
First off, excuse my lack of expertise but WTH is a flavor text?

Second, I added that little condition because I read the above quoted from wiki and since I have no real-life experience or knowledge from reliable sources whatsoever, I choose not to doubt it.

Rinster
Legionary
posted 19 February 2011 22:20 EDT (US)     86 / 107       
I'm assuming flavor text is when you look at a unit card and there is the description of the historical origin, or such, like under where the stats are.
Drakontos
Legionary
posted 20 February 2011 09:31 EDT (US)     87 / 107       
Yeah, that's the flavour text. Information about the unit, etc.

@GKA - Oh, I know why you added it. And indeed, all the composite bow units state that they are worse in wet conditions in RTW. But as I understand it, despite the text, there is actually no disadvantage in RTW to using composite bow units in the German winter.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 21 February 2011 05:41 EDT (US)     88 / 107       
Then let's add it in our mod! Wouldn't that be more realistic?

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 21 February 2011 14:13 EDT (US)     89 / 107       
And how, my good sir, do you propose to do that?

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 22 February 2011 02:35 EDT (US)     90 / 107       
No? Can't be done? Aww that sucks.

Flavor text, then...

Rinster
Legionary
posted 22 February 2011 03:48 EDT (US)     91 / 107       
Well if you really want to, couldn't we just implement the same unit with a bit lower attack, but recruitable in only those areas which we want the effect?
does that make sense?
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 22 February 2011 03:50 EDT (US)     92 / 107       
We can tie it in to the weather. Snow and woods give bonuses/penalties. Why not rain?

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 22 February 2011 04:36 EDT (US)     93 / 107       
Because we have a limited set of traits we can give units, we can't just make new ones.

And I'm not sure what exactly woods and snow bonuses cover - it make not include range and ranged attacks, but rather be a morale/melee thing.

Seneca Monachus
Legionary
posted 22 February 2011 11:35 EDT (US)     94 / 107       
didn't all archers get a decreased accuracy if it is snowing or raining? And also in forests they have a decreased accuracy.

Bonus fighting in woods and snow is indeed for melee combat.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say: Fools because they have to say something" - Plato
Drakontos
Legionary
posted 22 February 2011 16:17 EDT (US)     95 / 107       
Yeah, but the problem is reducing the combat ability of composite bow units in particular. Something which I do not believe to be possible.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 23 February 2011 10:11 EDT (US)     96 / 107       
If it's only possible with two different versions of the same unit, then I suggest we just plain drop it and focus on the more pressing concerns at hand.

Hint: The Visigoths. Help get them out of the way.

eth689
Legionary
posted 23 February 2011 21:47 EDT (US)     97 / 107       
I think if you coat bow string in oil or something it won't defect to the weather...
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 24 February 2011 01:38 EDT (US)     98 / 107       
Waxed horsehair was considered the best bowstring.

But the rain afects also the bow itself. Self-bows (made from a solid piece) handle it better than laminated (wood and bone or horn glued together). The glue used in those days was animal-based, which meant if it got saturated it would begin to dissolve.

Few things are more embarrassing and painful than a bow exploding in your hand and face because the glue failed...

Alpha211
Legionary
posted 24 February 2011 10:28 EDT (US)     99 / 107       
Well what did BI do to the bows (accuracy?) why not just do that

I agree that there are alot of differences in self bows & composite bows in various weather conditions
Can you decrease the ammo to simulate the bows failing?

But that could possibly be something to do after all the other more "major" issues
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 20 March 2011 11:01 EDT (US)     100 / 107       
Rural
Mercenary Herdsmen - Steppes, Balkans, Vandal Africa
Shepherd Boys - Europe from Atlantic to Steppes (Britain & Spain very cheap)

Infantry
Soghdian Warriors - as BI
Bosphoran Mercenaries - Black Sea regions (NW parts)
Axumite Infantry - Decent spearmen arrived from the southern trading power of Axum. Aegyptus.
Arab Spearmen - Cheaply available, large blocks of arrow fodder. Arabia.
Judean Zealots - Experts at hiding, armed with a scimitar and a round shield. South Levant.
Mercenary Veteranii - as BI, roughly ERE lands
Mercenary Gallowglass - Only in the Briton, Scottish and Irish parts.
British Warband - Britain
Einherjar - Norselands
Frisian Pirates - NE Gaul, NW Germania
Angle Mercenaries - Eastern England
Viking Mercenaries - Norselands, North Sea, and around the Baltic

Missiles
Gaelic Mercenaries - Kerns. Ireland, Scotland
Mercenary Bucellarii - as BI
Asturian Foresters - NW Spain
Cantabrian Mercenaries - N Spain
Syrian Archers - Lethal composite bow-wielders. The Levant.
Armenian Raiders/Guerrillas - Local javelineers looking for action against their Sassanid/Roman/Alan oppressors. Trans-Tigris regions.

Cavalry
Moorish Mercenaries - Light cav, NW Africa
Arab Cavalry - Bedouins reloaded, Arabia
Armenian Cataphracts - Armenian merc captains contract their men out to the highest bidder. Trans-Tigris regions. Rare.
Mercenary Vandal Lancers - as BI, North Africa
Mercenary Vandal Raiders - Balkans
Mercenary Alan Horse Archers - as BI
Mercenary Alan Armoured Horse Archers - Eastern, Western Spain
Hippo-toxotai Mercenaries - as BI
Equites Veteranii - as BI
Francisca Cavalry Mercenaries - N Gaul
Hunnic Mercenaries - Balkans, Steppes (cav)
Batavian Cavalry - Frisia

Another summary, guys. I've made some changes and added in more units. And I tried to change some names and rearrange them so that not too many units will end up with "Mercenary Xxxxxx Xxxxxxx".

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames