You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Dark Ages: Roman Revival
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.243 replies, Sticky
Total War Heaven » Forums » Dark Ages: Roman Revival » Dark Ages: Roman Revival Map - General Discussion
Bottom
Topic Subject:Dark Ages: Roman Revival Map - General Discussion
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5  Next Page »
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 13 January 2011 10:14 EDT (US)         
Prototype (v0.1)

Proposed revision v0.11

1-Romano-British (Roman, Christian)
2-Franks (Barbarian, Christian)
3-Visigoths (Germanic, Arian)
4-Saxons (Barbarian, Christian)
5-Alemanni (Germanic, Germanic Pantheon)
6-Burgundians (Germanic, Germanic Pantheon)
7-Western Roman Empire (Roman, Christian)
8-Ostrogoths (Germanic, Arian)
9-Illyrians (Barbarian, Christian)
10-Venedae (Barbarian, Arian)
11-Gepidae (Barbarian, Hunnic Pantheon)
12-Huns (Hunnic, Hunnic Pantheon)
13-Alans (Barbarian, Arian)
14-Sassanids (Eastern, Zoroastrian)
15-Vandals (Barbarian, Christian)
16-Berbers (Berber, Berber Pantheon)
17-Norsemen (Germanic, Germanic Pantheon)
18-Eastern Roman Empire (Roman, Christian)

2 Emergent Factions:
19-Copts (Eastern, Christian)
20-Caliphate (Eastern, Muslim)

Current prototype (v2.0) :

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 10-07-2012 @ 11:04 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 11 September 2011 04:30 EDT (US)     151 / 243       
Or we could just lay down the blueprints and leave them at that.

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix
Guild of the Skalds, Order of the Silver Quill, Apprentice Storyteller
Battle of Ilipa, 206BC - XI TWH Egil Skallagrimson Award

The word dyslexia was invented by Nazis to piss off kids with dyslexia.
O Foghladha
Legionary
posted 11 September 2011 05:15 EDT (US)     152 / 243       
I reckon that Drakontos is right...

If you have something like a "progress" thread, you could cover progress on both the planning and things that have already been done.

I mean logically, someone could actually work on getting the map into the game with just the original BI factions in the regions where their replacements are going to be.

Other things such as some concept skinning could be done also... pumping out solid in-game work is usually way to stir up interest in a mod. It would be a real shame to see this great mod idea die.

oh yeah, has anyone tried to convince some of the big modding 'names' to come help on this project? I'm sure some of them would really like the idea.

"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future"
Legionary
posted 11 September 2011 06:08 EDT (US)     153 / 243       
One of the biggest modding names on TWH helped start this project, and is now but a whisper in the shadows.

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 11 September 2011 07:20 EDT (US)     154 / 243       
Some of the earlier stuff was quite inspired - it would be a shame to see that go to waste.

But then I'm sure it will live on in various aspects in smaller mods done by the community - many of the people who started out are now on the way to becoming 'names' themselves. So if nothing else, I'd like to think this mod did have some small part in stimulating said interest in modding throughout TWH. Those of you who have since released or started mods can say better than I.
I mean logically, someone could actually work on getting the map into the game with just the original BI factions in the regions where their replacements are going to be.
I did think about making a basic provincial campaign doing just that a while ago. I may still do, although my interest in modding RTW has waned. It will wax again, I'm sure, so maybe that will happen before DrakBI or my ideas for a Rise of Islam mod take off again.

PROCRASTINATE NOT · JAMAIS ARRIERE

[This message has been edited by Drakontos (edited 09-11-2011 @ 07:24 AM).]

O Foghladha
Legionary
posted 11 September 2011 09:23 EDT (US)     155 / 243       
is there usually an influx of users around christmas?

"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future"
Imperator
posted 11 September 2011 13:14 EDT (US)     156 / 243       
That will not work, as the factions of 500 AD were quite different from those of 250 AD, as were the provincial boundaries and territories.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 09-11-2011 @ 01:19 PM).]

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 11 September 2011 15:46 EDT (US)     157 / 243       
You'd be surprised Terikel. It is indeed a necessary step, and even if the faction names are wrong, at least it demonstrates progress and allows one to play as a reborn Western Rome... map changes are easily added from there.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 13 September 2011 01:26 EDT (US)     158 / 243       
map changes are easily added from there.
Yes, I see that in the map discussion, where we have trouble pounding out a simple rough draft.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 13 September 2011 02:08 EDT (US)     159 / 243       
I said they were easily added ingame. I didn't say they were easy to agree on!

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 13 September 2011 03:24 EDT (US)     160 / 243       
Er, guys, a moment please? It's just I'm trying to rally some support and finally kick-start actual production in the other thread. A little show of hands, at least?

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 22 November 2011 21:49 EDT (US)     161 / 243       
Hmm. Such an important thread, and not posted in for months! I bet that if you newsied and started a few threads in RLT then this mod would get some attention. What probably happened is people got bored because the mod couldn't get beyond the modding stage.

If I may give an opinion that took several days of reading this thread to form, I think that the map we have is too small. I don't know how to change the dimensions of the map, but it seems to me that having at least most of southern Scandinavia and a little more of the east would give the Norsemen some more room.

If I may also suggest, we could have two or three provincial campaigns and stick in slightly different faction lists. So we can have both the Seuvi (is it spelled that way?) and the Gepids in without having to choose so much. We could also tinker with it a bit so, maybe there are less factions and more rebel territories, meaning more conquest, and perhaps making things worth it. I don't know if that would work without several different mod:switches, but it might. If necessary, we could simply have instructions on switching between sets of factions.

Death is a (vastly) preferable alternative to communism.
"Idiocy knows no national or cultural borders. Stupidity can strike anyone, anywhere." -- Terikel

[This message has been edited by Agrippa 271 (edited 11-22-2011 @ 09:50 PM).]

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 23 November 2011 03:54 EDT (US)     162 / 243       
We'd best focus on getting one campaign out, before we worry about Provincial Campaigns.

I might take a stab at doing some form of draft map this weekend. I'm quite busy during the week, but would like to see this lift off a bit.

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 23 November 2011 11:50 EDT (US)     163 / 243       
Well, we have thanksgiving this week, so I have more off time than usual. If I can help with the draft, I will, but I don't know how much I can, i depends on what kinds of software I'm gonna need. Can anyone give me the basics on modding maps? I have no experience there.

In any case, if we are going to have provincial campaigns with possibly different faction rosters, we could simply say that we will work on a campaign that includes the Gepids first, then the Suevi. Or vise versa.

"Idiocy knows no national or cultural borders. Stupidity can strike anyone, anywhere." -- Terikel
Drakontos
Legionary
posted 25 November 2011 00:22 EDT (US)     164 / 243       
I don't think we should even think about provincial campaigns yet. We've been discussing this for more than a year already, and we don't even have anything tangible. Best start on one first.

[This message has been edited by Draak (edited 11-25-2011 @ 00:23 AM).]

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 25 November 2011 11:59 EDT (US)     165 / 243       
I'm just suggesting, that way we can say, "We are going to do x for the main campaign, and because we can't fit y and z in that, we will set them aside for provincial campaigns."

In any case, for the main campaign, since it appears we can't decide whether to include the Gepids or the Suevi, why don't we leave them both out and split a faction that we grouped together, even though they weren't united, like the Norse. The Norse were only a group of Scandinavians, so we could be better served by choosing to represent them and the Danes separately, and leave out the Gepids and Suevi for provincial campaigns because they didn't have a great affect on history.

What I'm trying to suggest is proposing a few provincial campaigns, that, without even considering work on, we can set good ideas aside that we can't fit into the main campaign. Then we finish it, release it in the first version of the mod, and begin working on fixing bugs and starting one of the provincials. If we do that, we could spend less time arguing over what to include and what to leave out, and more time actually getting work done.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 25 November 2011 15:44 EDT (US)     166 / 243       
From memory we pretty much agreed on the Gepids at the end. They certainly more more sense than another Scandinavian faction.

I think we're pretty much done on faction planning anyway, so hooopefully this will pick up sometime soon. I definitely agree that provincials are a good idea, I just think we have enough on our plate without even talking about at present.

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 26 November 2011 17:58 EDT (US)     167 / 243       
Ok. I was suggesting another scandinavian faction because of the fact that they were not unified throughout the Dark Ages, but since they would be pretty much identical, you are right, it is best to live them out.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 28 November 2011 02:56 EDT (US)     168 / 243       
That too. Not to mention that the Norse themselves don't really make much historical sense as a faction.

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 29 November 2011 16:52 EDT (US)     169 / 243       
I think we need to expand the map to the north greatly, and to the east to encompass a few more Sassanid territories. Also, we should make more territories on the fringes of the map were groups like the arabs are going to appear. That way all the action is a little more spread out.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 01 December 2011 03:40 EDT (US)     170 / 243       
...what exactly is there up north to include?

Kilos of Thermon
Legionary
posted 01 December 2011 07:59 EDT (US)     171 / 243       
All I could think of is more territory for the vikings.

Or Iceland? Please?

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Cattle die, kinsmen die, the self must also die. I know one thing that never dies: the fate of the honored dead. Hávamál, Gestaþáttr, #77.
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 01 December 2011 08:42 EDT (US)     172 / 243       
Was Iceland even inhabited by the Northmen in 500? And did the Northmen as a whole exist at the time?

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 01 December 2011 13:40 EDT (US)     173 / 243       
As anything remotely resembling a faction, no, not really.

Kilos of Thermon
Legionary
posted 01 December 2011 20:04 EDT (US)     174 / 243       
Well, no, but

A) Iceland was not settled under request of a king. If you were a Norsemen, and you had a boat, basically you could just sail to Iceland and make a farm and

B) This is an alternate 500 A.D.

But I wasn't really expecting anything.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Cattle die, kinsmen die, the self must also die. I know one thing that never dies: the fate of the honored dead. Hávamál, Gestaþáttr, #77.
Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 01 December 2011 20:57 EDT (US)     175 / 243       
That's why we need to include more of northern Europe. Right now, the Norse we are using to represent all of Scandinavia might as well as be called "Danes". What I am suggesting is just including a bit more of the Peninsula that is today Norway and Sweden so that they get one, maybe two more territories? Unless we have decided that we only want to give them two territories.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 02 December 2011 00:03 EDT (US)     176 / 243       
I personally would like to use a cut-down version of Mundus Magnus (which yes, would include more of Scandinavia, if not much)

Iceland would be kinda fun, I have to admit.

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 02 December 2011 20:06 EDT (US)     177 / 243       

Ok, using this map as an (vague) example, why don't we cut the map off at one of the (I assume cities) dots like Hunderfossen. Or even farther north. OR Terikel could come in with some much better idea.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 05 December 2011 04:38 EDT (US)     178 / 243       
I think that's more or less where MM cuts off.

This is MM (albeit a modded version), for reference:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13/drakbimap.png/

Yes I'm aware it is a link - the image refused to show using the [Image URL not allowed: tags%20for%20some%20reason.]

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 05 December 2011 22:09 EDT (US)     179 / 243       
That definitely looks good, but we probably don't need as much of Africa, so cut out some of that, and maybe a little less of the East, but other than that it looks good. I have managed to get a basic understanding of map editing, so if we do go with something a little smaller than MM's map, I could handle that if everyone else is busy.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 09 December 2011 04:15 EDT (US)     180 / 243       
Well yeah, as I said, it would be cut down. But it has a bit more of the north, a bit more of the south (maybe) and pretty in the east for use to pick where to cut.

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 10 December 2011 00:47 EDT (US)     181 / 243       

It looks like this is a much larger map than what we are looking for. So, I suggest that we cut down the size of it in the east vastly, and somewhat to the south.

In the south lets leave it about were the vanilla map left off as it wasn't very heavily populated much farther south. To the east, maybe around the light blue territory just to the north of the Persian Gulf?

Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 02 January 2012 23:23 EDT (US)     182 / 243       
If someone can get the map finalized, I can now use it to start getting something solid done. I feel like we can revive this Roman Revival project once we start getting actual results. I finally got BI, and as such, I can work on it, though I can't do anything with models and textures.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 03 January 2012 13:26 EDT (US)     183 / 243       
Ok, I can download Mundus Magnus if we want to use that as our base, then begin adapting it. Probably won't be able to do everything, though, and it may take me a bit to work on it. I have a lot of stuff I am involved in at school, so I won't be able to work on it until this weekend, most likely.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 04 January 2012 01:48 EDT (US)     184 / 243       
In Post 144 here you have our version of western Europe. You can start with that.

Africa will be coming soon, then we begin on the East.

Remember, only one city per province or the game crashes, and a max of 199 provinces (including the Sea).

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 04 January 2012 22:35 EDT (US)     185 / 243       
Got it. Should I start with the Barbarian Invasion map or Mundus Magnus?

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 05 January 2012 01:29 EDT (US)     186 / 243       
How about starting with the map pieces the forum has already discussed and approved?

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 06 January 2012 19:44 EDT (US)     187 / 243       
No, I'm asking which map we want to base it off of, because if we want to use the Mundus Magnus map, I need to download it.

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 07 January 2012 15:22 EDT (US)     188 / 243       
Ok, since nobody has posted anything about it, I'm going to start with the bi map, since I already have it.

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 07 January 2012 17:24 EDT (US)     189 / 243       
Ok, I got Spain, Frankia, Britannia, and Saxony done today. Tomorrow, I'm gonna try and finish the rest of Western Europe.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 08 January 2012 05:48 EDT (US)     190 / 243       
Good.

I'll try to get Africa posted soon for discussion, while working on Eastern Europe for the same.

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 08 January 2012 15:14 EDT (US)     191 / 243       
Ok. May be slow going, as I won't be able to work on this much during the week. I'm usually at school until six because of wrestling practice. May be able to get something done wednesday, but not much.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 09 January 2012 08:48 EDT (US)     192 / 243       
Here are the prototypes for northern Africa and Eastern Europe.

Western North Africa:

Eastern North Africa:

Eastern Europe:

These are based on maps I found online, dating to about 500 AD

Rinster
Legionary
posted 09 January 2012 09:24 EDT (US)     193 / 243       
I like it, but is the province labeled 'Persia' going to be just one province of that size, because I think that there should be a least two or three different provinces in there.

Or does it just signify that Persia owns that area?

I really have nothing to say at this point.
Other than this.
Total War Games Played:
RTW
---|---|---|---
Je parle un peu de français
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 09 January 2012 12:34 EDT (US)     194 / 243       
Right now it is just a blob because I did not have time to look deep into Persia in that period.

I fully expect to divide it into provinces later- likewise the Desert.

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 09 January 2012 21:16 EDT (US)     195 / 243       
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to work on the map at all yesterday, so I'll try and work on it Wednesday, but I may not be able to get more than Western Europe and a little of the East done. Will be able to get some stuff done this weekend, no tournaments for wrestling, so that frees up Saturday almost completely.

Also, Terikel, it appears you have almost walled off some of the big cities like Constantinople, Rome, and Londinium. Is this just to show where they are, or what? I have no idea what the are there for.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 10 January 2012 09:09 EDT (US)     196 / 243       
Londinium, Rome, and Constantinople are huge cities that are major centers of power, and thus are apart. we didn't want huge tracts of land attached to them since the city itself is important.

Secondary to this, we want to be able to have the provinces around them as separate entities- which can only happen (one city per province rule) if we make the major center apart from the rest of the land.

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 10 January 2012 20:14 EDT (US)     197 / 243       
Gotcha. Hmm. That means we are going to need some researchers to find good city and province names. We should update them, after all. Wouldn't be nearly as fun if most the provinces were called the same thing as in BI.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 11 January 2012 01:37 EDT (US)     198 / 243       
Those provinces that have names as opposed to owning faction have the authentic name for the region, and boundaries as close as I could get them (by hand) to the real region.

Africa is not, however, and is based off a mix of RTW Vanilla and real maps.

The Byzantine regions are half-true and half-imaginary, but that is due to game mechanics- the Byzantines used very large provinces (themes) which would make conquering them quite easy, so I broke them up a bit.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 11 January 2012 03:12 EDT (US)     199 / 243       
Like the maps, very well-done Terikel! So sorry about lack of posting lately. Should be able to participate more around here after the presentations. (very handy excuse indeed)

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 11 January 2012 04:24 EDT (US)     200 / 243       
(very handy excuse indeed)
Yes, it is, isn't it?

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames