Total War Heaven » Forums » Dark Ages: Roman Revival » The Western Roman Empire
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Western Roman Empire
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6  Next Page »
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 09 February 2011 10:58 EDT (US)         
Our grand empire has fallen on hard times. Once we ruled Our Sea and the lands beyond, now we can barely keep our capital of Ravenna safe from barbarian intrusion. The last few centuries since Diocletian’s division of the Roman empire have been hard indeed on the West.

We lost Gaul to the Franks, Hispana to the Visigoths, and abandoned Britannia to bring the legions home to defend Italia. A nice try, but it did not work. The Ostrogoths overran Italia and took our ancestral home- Rome- to be one of its cities. Not even the capital of their newfound kingdom, but a common burg in their eyes.

We too would have gone the way of Rome and become a barbarian enclave amidst the ruins of civilization, yet we did not. Valentinian tried to murder Aetius, who together with the Visigoths and Franks had driven the Huns from Gaul and back to the Windswept Plains which spawned them. Yet it was Valentinian and his cronies who perished in that ill-fated attempt, and Aetius who usurped the crown.

Since that time, we Romans have been blessed with a resurgence. The Aetian Dynasty is strong and its generals loyal- they will not turn on our emperor to rip the life out of what is left of the light which once shone across the whole Mediterranean! Aetius also gave heart to our legions, and to our citizens.

Rome lives on in Ravenna, but her destiny is perilous. We Romans need a strong warlord to guide our emperor, and bring us back to the heights from which we have fallen.

Are you that warlord? Assume the reins of power, and lead the Western Roman Empire from the brink of extinction back to its rightful place in the forefront of the World.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
AuthorReplies:
vampiric canniba
Legionary
posted 31 May 2011 04:48 EDT (US)     201 / 258       
By P-on-an-X you presumably mean a Chi Ro, a Christian sign. Are the Romans to be Christians, or perhaps Arian or even Neo-Platonic, in this mod?

you like something both hardcore and whack
2009 RLT & ETWH Craziest Forummer Award!
I had to remove the excessive numbers of smilies I used á la VampiricCannibal so as not to inconvenience low bandwidth users too much... - Edorix
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 31 May 2011 05:43 EDT (US)     202 / 258       
I believe the consensus was to start them out as Christian, but provide with the option to go Pagan. And btw, Christianity includes both Catholic and Arian.

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix
Guild of the Skalds, Order of the Silver Quill, Apprentice Storyteller
Battle of Ilipa, 206BC - XI TWH Egil Skallagrimson Award

The word dyslexia was invented by Nazis to piss off kids with dyslexia.
Drakontos
Legionary
posted 31 May 2011 05:55 EDT (US)     203 / 258       
An eagle with a Chi-Ro traced over it (head a P, body stretched a la Germany to form an X)

With a wreath around it if need be?

PROCRASTINATE NOT · JAMAIS ARRIERE
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 31 May 2011 08:14 EDT (US)     204 / 258       
You mean like this?

[JPEG, (152.02 KB)]

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 31 May 2011 08:18 EDT (US)     205 / 258       
...you just GET me!

Rinster
Legionary
posted 31 May 2011 14:35 EDT (US)     206 / 258       
Wow, really GKA?

Some people might find that offensive, even me if I was in the mood

jk

I really have nothing to say at this point.
Other than this.
Total War Games Played:
RTW
---|---|---|---
Je parle un peu de français
Kilos of Thermon
Legionary
posted 31 May 2011 16:40 EDT (US)     207 / 258       
ok...

I think I get what Drakontos is saying, he means a chi ro with wings where the upper extending "joints" should be.

I don't want to start confusion, but maybe you could also turn the main line of the chi ro into a dagger.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Cattle die, kinsmen die, the self must also die. I know one thing that never dies: the fate of the honored dead. Hávamál, Gestaþáttr, #77.
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 31 May 2011 20:38 EDT (US)     208 / 258       
I'm sorry if I seriously offended anyone, particularly Drakontos. It occurred to me after posting that it could be offensive, but I intended it as a lame joke.

Still, I dislike an eagle with talons spread wide because it isn't simple enough and it reminds people too strongly of a ton of later emblems.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 01 June 2011 01:37 EDT (US)     209 / 258       
There was a reason those boneheads chose that symbol, you know, and modified with what they thought was an Aryan symbol.

Anyway, back on track. Chi-Rho is Greek-Greek. The Big Plus was Catholic, Roman Catholic. An eagle resting on a cross?

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
vampiric canniba
Legionary
posted 01 June 2011 04:14 EDT (US)     210 / 258       
That sounds good. I made a fairly crummy paint of it, and the only concern I have is it may not fit into the normal symbol size, though it probably will.

I had to remove the excessive numbers of smilies I used á la VampiricCannibal so as not to inconvenience low bandwidth users too much... - Edorix
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 01 June 2011 05:36 EDT (US)     211 / 258       
What did you mean by resting on a cross? Would the cross be propped up with the eagle on its tip, or would it be laid down somewhat diagonally with the eagle above it?

If we don't use the Chi-Rho for the WRE (which seems like the consensus), then I strongly suggest we dump the Chi-Rho for the ERE as well, perhaps to be replaced with the Byzantine cross as per Med2, since I think we should either give a hint of symbolistic unity between the two, or get as far away from it as we can. Otherwise people might look at the WRE flag and wonder why they don't keep the P-on-an-X that the ERE still has?

Oh, and it just occurred to me that a cross-ridden WRE symbol will still fit somewhat with the ERE's cross. But what do you guys think?

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 01 June 2011 06:38 EDT (US)     212 / 258       
I was thinking more along the lines of something like this:

or this:

Something that combines the late Roman Christianity with the early Imperial Roman success.

Thompsoncs
Legionary
posted 01 June 2011 07:50 EDT (US)     213 / 258       
That last eagle with cross on the chest is a good idea.
How about a Laurel wreath on the eagle's head to represent the emperors.
Seneca Monachus
Legionary
posted 01 June 2011 09:59 EDT (US)     214 / 258       
I'm more in favor for something like the first one, but with a small adition. Because if we allow the player the choose to go back to paganism, than this faction symbol doesn''t symbolise the Western empire anymore. So i would like to prospose the same eagle as the first picture, but with the cross in one claw and lightning of Jupiter in the other.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say: Fools because they have to say something" - Plato
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 01 June 2011 10:32 EDT (US)     215 / 258       
That last eagle with cross on the chest is a good idea.
That last eagle with cross on the chest is not a good idea. Looks like some sort of Crusader Eagle, and not in a good way.

Seneca's idea, while comprehensive, seems too neutral and complicated (it's a RTW faction symbol, not a national emblem). If we stick with offering both Christianity and Paganism, it might be better after all to resort to Terikel's initial suggestion - Eagle encircled with a wreath.

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 06-01-2011 @ 10:44 AM).]

Thompsoncs
Legionary
posted 01 June 2011 11:42 EDT (US)     216 / 258       
My vote also goed to eagle with Laurel wreath
vampiric canniba
Legionary
posted 02 June 2011 00:37 EDT (US)     217 / 258       
1st cross, but with bigger cross and smaller eagle.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 02 June 2011 07:44 EDT (US)     218 / 258       
Why a cross in the symbol when they can be pagan or Christian?

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 05 June 2011 05:47 EDT (US)     219 / 258       
The wreathed Eage suggested before is a nice, non-religious, old-school Roman symbol.

Personally, I think a resurgent Rome (that does not even own said city) would want to remember the symbol of when they were strong, not the symbol overseeing their decline from World Power to backwater swampland.

Thompsoncs
Legionary
posted 05 June 2011 15:32 EDT (US)     220 / 258       
Yeah, but no SPQR because that would remind the people of the time that they actually had something to say, something the emperors of course wouldn't like.
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 06 June 2011 02:57 EDT (US)     221 / 258       
Wouldn't that depend on what sort of emperors the Flavians would be?

Anyhow, the Golden Roman Eagle surrounded by a wreath over a classic Legion Red field works for me.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 09 June 2011 06:41 EDT (US)     222 / 258       
I like the Golden Eagle. What sort of relationship do we want the WRE and ERE to have? If it's a tense one, I suggest we put an SPQR on the WRE flag - a challenge to the ERE. If not, leave it as the eagle or add an OCC to the bottom - Romanum Imperium Occidentalis

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 09 June 2011 07:31 EDT (US)     223 / 258       
I think the ERE and the WRE would be allies at this time. Both are under siege from barbarians, and historically they did cooperate against the Huns, among others. Justinian tried to reunite the Empire, though by that time the WRE was a memory.

Thus I feel they should be allies at the start, but allowed to go their separate ways later if the game heads in that direction.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 09 June 2011 08:00 EDT (US)     224 / 258       
On the flip side, Theodoric and the ERE were allies too, and Aetius did depose the Emperor... surely that would have caused some tension?

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 09 June 2011 10:16 EDT (US)     225 / 258       
The ERE considered themselves Romans for a long time after Rome fell.

Theodoric was sent by Zeno to oust Odoacer, who had established his kingdom by deposing the last WRE emperor. In our world, little Romulus Augustulus was not deposed- he was never emperor. The Ostrogoths may have conquered much of Italia, but the WRE still stands. Thus Theodoric would not be sent to oust Odoacer, meaning the ERE might still have strong feelings of goodwill toward their parent empire.

Thus I would have them allied at the beginning.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 09 June 2011 10:29 EDT (US)     226 / 258       
Fair enough. Do we need to discuss planning a family tree for this faction, since they have no historical basis, or can we call them done and get onto that when we actually start on the mod?

Kilos of Thermon
Legionary
posted 09 June 2011 23:16 EDT (US)     227 / 258       
Just have them have their surname be Aetius, I guess. Have names like Flavius, or Decius (I'm a sellout).

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Cattle die, kinsmen die, the self must also die. I know one thing that never dies: the fate of the honored dead. Hávamál, Gestaþáttr, #77.
Drakontos
Legionary
posted 11 June 2011 04:14 EDT (US)     228 / 258       
We could put master Flavius Aëtius as a very young child, so that the player could choose to play as him when he comes of age. Otherwise the usual Decius, Honorius, Gaius, Marcus... sounds good!

jedibob5
Legionary
posted 11 June 2011 09:53 EDT (US)     229 / 258       
I think the whole pretext behind the Aetii being in power was that Flavius survived Valentinian's assassination attempt, killed him, and took the throne. So it would have to be necessary to start him as faction leader. I looked it up, and in real life, Flavius was assassinated when he was 58. So that would make him fairly old in RTW terms - and therefore the player wouldn't control him for very long, unless we wanted to bend history even further and say Valentinian attempted to assassinate him earlier.

I don't have any witty one liners or philosophical quotes to put here.
Drakontos
Legionary
posted 11 June 2011 10:08 EDT (US)     230 / 258       
He'll be dead. Long dead. But putting a great-grandson of his with his name would let the player play as him... without putting a 105 year old man as faction leader.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 11 June 2011 21:06 EDT (US)     231 / 258       
"We named you Flavius, son, after your great grand-father, who was a great man, and whose legacy we hope you shall one day help preserve and glorify..."

As for the family tree, I'm getting confused over the surnames because Flavius Aetius's father was Flavius Gaudentius, and then Aetius had a son called Gaudentius (who died in 455 in real life). Which one is the surname - Flavius or Aetius?

Also, assuming Aetius lived, his son Gaudentius (born 440) would presumably live if he wasn't in Rome at the time of the Vandal sack in 455. So he could be our starting faction leader, since in 500 he would only be 60 years old. His son, or grandson (great grandson of Aetius) can then be named Flavius Aetius.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 12 June 2011 03:04 EDT (US)     232 / 258       
That was the idea I had in mind! So we are done here in that case?

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 12 June 2011 05:00 EDT (US)     233 / 258       
I like it.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 12 June 2011 06:51 EDT (US)     234 / 258       
I think it's Aetius, since the surname usually comes last...?

Kilos of Thermon
Legionary
posted 12 June 2011 11:27 EDT (US)     235 / 258       
Well, that's why we call it a surname, after all.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 12 June 2011 20:29 EDT (US)     236 / 258       
Thanks for the heads-up, furbacchione. Maybe you can also explain why Aetius' father was called Flavius Gaudentius, instead of Aetius?

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 13 June 2011 06:17 EDT (US)     237 / 258       
Roman naming conventions are very confusing for the uninitiated, and only confusing to those who do know about them. I know something of them, but not all, but will try to present the rules in a general manner that may enlighten ye lot a bit.

First, in the Republic, there were two names- the given praenomen of which there were about 20 in common usage, and the gens, the family name. As families began earning histories and branching out (two or more sons of the same generation doing extremely well) the families split into branches. Likewise, if one conquered an area or did something spectacular, he could earn a cognomen (title-like name) that could be passed on. Thus the cognomen became a third name.

Into the later Republic and early Empire, the use of the cognomen became a bit excessive (Publius Cornelius Scipio Nasica Corculum, for example). Others used the cognomen to separate brothers (Titus Flavius Vespasian was the son of Titus Flavius Vespasian, Titus Flavius Domitianus was the other son of Titus Flavius Vespasian) who shared the same praenomen and gens.

Also around this time, because so many families used the same praenomen and gens, people began separating the others by using simply the cognomen (which is why many people know who Domitian was, but have no idea who Titus Flavius Domitianus was).

To make matters more confusing, non-Italian citizens came into the leading classes. Most were named after the Emperor or magistrate who brought them into the citizenship in the first place, which is why there were so many Gaius Julius Barbarianus or Gaius Julius Civilis and the like, or Tiberius, or Claudius. The gens became a praenomen as well, which leaves us with Flavius Aetius.

Is Aetius his gens and Flavius his praenomen, or is his gens Flavius, Aetius the cognomen, and his praenomen is lost? This we must decide.

Since we can write our own history at this point, I propose we make Aetius the gens. Flavius was his praenomen, in honor of the Flavian emperors who gave his Scythian forebears the citizenship. Then we can use cognomen to settle out the various Aetii like they did all others.

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 06-13-2011 @ 07:54 AM).]

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 13 June 2011 06:35 EDT (US)     238 / 258       
Into the later Republic and early Empire
Not even later Republic... Publius Cornelius Scipio Aemelianus Africanus Menor springs to mind.

The other tricky thing with the late Empire is that some praenomen and gens started being used in both cases - as is the case with Flavius.

On all accountd Aetius was a cognomen, not a gens, but since RTW doesn't let us show that, I'm with Terikel on using it as a gens. We don't have to make up any story about a Flavius Aetius being named for his grandfather or what have you... but some players like to play with historically named figures (there is a Leonidas in XGM, for example, and EVERYONE wants a Hannibal when playing as the Carthaginians, a Gaius Julius as the Julii...)

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 13 June 2011 07:45 EDT (US)     239 / 258       
Gaudentius Aetius?

Kilos of Thermon
Legionary
posted 13 June 2011 07:58 EDT (US)     240 / 258       
You're welcome

Well then it seems that maybe Aetius was more of a title, while Gaudentius was probably the real last name. SO probably Gaudentius would be the better choice.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Thompsoncs
Legionary
posted 13 June 2011 14:57 EDT (US)     241 / 258       
If people know anything about this period of history, the name Aetius will likely ring a bell, Gaudentius will certainly not. Therefore I would go with aetius.
Rinster
Legionary
posted 13 June 2011 16:32 EDT (US)     242 / 258       
I would probably go with Flavius Aetius, because regardless of what his full name actually was (not that I don't care), what makes me think of him is that name

I really have nothing to say at this point.
Other than this.
Total War Games Played:
RTW
---|---|---|---
Je parle un peu de français
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 13 June 2011 21:28 EDT (US)     243 / 258       
Gaudentius and Aetius were both cognomens - the identifiers, not the last names.
Aëtius was born at Durostorum in Moesia Inferior (modern Silistra, Bulgaria), around 390. His father was Flavius Gaudentius, a Roman soldier of Scythian origin;[1][2] his mother, whose name is unknown, was a wealthy and aristocratic woman of Italian stock.[3] Before 425 he married the daughter of Carpilio,[4] who gave him a son, also named Carpilio.[5] Later he married Pelagia, widow of Bonifacius, from whom he had a son, Gaudentius. It is possible that he had also a daughter, wife of the Thraustila who avenged Aëtius' death by killing Valentinian III.[6]
Aetius as family name, then, with Gaudentius as another branch? Fictitious yet accurate and fun? Flavius Gaudentius - son of Flavius Aetius I - will be the dominant leader of the Western Remnant Empire, or it could be his older brother Flavius Carpilio who is in charge - assuming both are alive of course - so that the WRE will begin with a family tree that shows Grandfather Aetius already dead on top, with two branches, the Gaudentii and the Carpilii, stretching down below him. The good side about this arrangement is that it's accurate in the beginning, the bad side is of course we won't see the name Aetius as the dominant gens in the family.

Or we could just make it simple by naming the whole lot of them [Praenomen] Aetius. Gaudentius Aetius, Carpilio Aetius...

EDIT: Or we could give Flavius Aetius a fictional son called Titus Aetius or something like that, giving the family three main branches. Or cut the Carpiliones and put in the Aetii.

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 06-14-2011 @ 11:36 AM).]

vampiric canniba
Legionary
posted 16 June 2011 01:02 EDT (US)     244 / 258       
put flavius-aetius as a surname, as well as gaudentius Aetius and capilio-aetius, if you want them all. Give them to different aetii, and it will work, assuming one branch isn't immediately sent pirate hunting...

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 16 June 2011 06:12 EDT (US)     245 / 258       
Would people dig hyphenated Roman surnames?

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 16 June 2011 07:29 EDT (US)     246 / 258       
I'd rather we just leave it as Aetius, frankly!

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 16 June 2011 09:17 EDT (US)     247 / 258       
I like keeping it simple too. Are we for keeping everyone Aetius or setting up branches?

For Aetius all, it would look sommat like dis:

Flavius Aetius (dead) - Pelagia (dead)
|
Gaudentius Aetius (age 60) Carpilio Aetius (age 64)

G & C would be married also.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 16 June 2011 09:55 EDT (US)     248 / 258       
Start with Gaudentius, drop Carpilio. We'll make a quip in the Faction overview thingee that Gaudentius is the son of Aetius and we'll begin his line there.

Note to modders: make sure these names are in all names lists.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 16 June 2011 21:19 EDT (US)     249 / 258       
And give Gaudentius a dozen sons to begin with? B)

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 19 June 2011 21:20 EDT (US)     250 / 258       
So are we starting with the line of Aetii headed by Gaudentius?

EDIT: Happy Anniversary of Chalons!

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 06-19-2011 @ 09:29 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames