Please login or register

Game Modification & Editor Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Create-A-Unit Competition I
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
posted 06 September 2009 03:40 EDT (US)   
Hi everyone, welcome to the Create-A-Unit competition.

As you can guess from the name, this is a competition to see who can create the best unit within a given theme. So get your thinking hats out, start up your text editor's and get creating!

How it works
On Sunday we will announce the first theme. You then have exactly two weeks to create your unit and submit it to the downloads section.

In the week that follows the closing of the competition the judges will judge all the entries and pick a winner. The results will be announced on Friday. The winner gets bragging rights and he may pick the next theme.

This will then be announced again on Sunday, and the second Create-A-Unit competition will start. It will again last for two weeks followed by one week for judging, and so on, and so on.

The jury
For each round, the jury consists of 4 judges. Two of these will be TWH staff, the other two will be 'normal' forumers. We're looking for four forumers who want to take turns judging the units created. So they judge a round, then they can participate in a round, etc.

If you'd like to be a judge please post in this thread. The first four will be added to the 'jury pool' and will take turns being part of the jury. That way they can also participate in the competition.

If one of the judges can't judge a round one of the other judges from the pool will take his place for that round. In case of a staff judge not being able to judge a round another member of staff will take his place for that round.

Staff judges:
Andalus
Hussarknight
Mythic_Commodore

Non-staff judges:
Edorix
awesomated88
Caesar_Hadrianus
Profile Picture

Rules
  1. In cases not covered by the rules the jury decides what to do.
  2. Entries must be uploaded to the downloads section by Sunday (Forum time, aka EDT), two weeks after the theme has been announced. Entries received after midnight will not be eligible. The added on date shown for all downloads will count as the date the entry is received, even it it is not yet approved.
  3. After submitting your unit to the downloads section you must leave a reply in this thread stating you've entered the competition.
  4. You don't have to sign up in advance, submitting your unit to the downloads section and announcing it here afterwards is enough.
  5. All units must be your own work. You may not use work created by others. You may however use parts of Vanilla units.
  6. One entry per round per person.
  7. Entries must not violate the Code of Conduct
  8. No crying if you don't win, better luck next time!
  9. Have fun!

Round 3
Regional/Mercenary Units
Deadline: Sunday 22nd of November at midnight, forum time.
Judges: Hussarknight, Mythic_Commodore, Caesar_Hadrianus, Profile Picture

Hall of Fame
Round 1: worst combo
matt will, Martian Sacred Band

Round 2: Most imaginative but realistic unit
Sara Gonn, Banshees

Useful links
How to Create a New Unit
Modding units
Downloads section

Hussarknight

[This message has been edited by Hussarknight (edited 11-12-2009 @ 08:38 AM).]

Replies:
posted 11 October 2009 23:47 EDT (US)     26 / 90  
Submissions are closing in 10 minutes! Let's see if the Commodore has what it takes for some speed modding!

EDIT: Made it by 2 minutes! That's gotta be the fastest I've ever made a unit. Nothing much to speak of, though. Mounted Peasants.

Cyclohexane - it's what's for dinner!

[This message has been edited by Mythic_Commodore (edited 10-11-2009 @ 11:59 PM).]

posted 12 October 2009 02:48 EDT (US)     27 / 90  
Good to see you enter Mythic.

Thanks for your submissions Occi, matt will, EnemyofJupitor and Mythic_Commodore. For those interested, these are their submissions:
Occi's Elephant Chariots
matt will's Martian Sacred Band
EoJ's Spartan Onagers
Mythic_Commodore's Mounted Peasants

Edorix, awesomated and Andalus: I've send you a set of files which combines all the entries. Check your e-mail.

Hussarknight
posted 12 October 2009 05:50 EDT (US)     28 / 90  
Hello

Hussarknight- You don't have my Email..

For future

Can you please Send me a copy....

Thank you for your time

EDIT: I just looked at my E-mail and i got it...

Ps.How did you get IT??????

PPs. I haven't got an attachment on mine????? Can you Resend it????

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda

[This message has been edited by Awesome Eagle (edited 08-08-2018 @ 07:22 AM).]

posted 12 October 2009 06:59 EDT (US)     29 / 90  
Staff can see forumer email addresses, awesomated.
posted 12 October 2009 08:52 EDT (US)     30 / 90  
The attachment should now be there as well. Forgot to add it.

Hussarknight
posted 12 October 2009 10:56 EDT (US)     31 / 90  
I am yet to receive the attachment.

I could just compile the units into one myself.

/\
/|||| ||||\

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 10-12-2009 @ 10:57 AM).]

posted 12 October 2009 19:21 EDT (US)     32 / 90  
Pictures please?

Think you're a hotshot against the Mongols? Go to the Mongolphobia mod discussions and download the mod, then, you will surely tremble with fear in the face of the Mongols. If you have suggestions/questions, feel free to make a thread. You can download Mongolphobia here. Good luck.

“Life lives, life dies. Life laughs, life cries. Life gives up and life tries. But life looks different through everyone's eyes.” -Unknown

Read my AAR/Story "The Battle of the Bridge" here!
posted 13 October 2009 03:41 EDT (US)     33 / 90  
Hello

I am yet to receive my e-mail Yet...

Thanks for your time...

History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
posted 13 October 2009 09:00 EDT (US)     34 / 90  
Trying again. GMail was acting strangely the other day so that probably is where the problem comes from. Sorry for the delay guys.

Hussarknight
posted 13 October 2009 18:12 EDT (US)     35 / 90  
Hello

Received and i am going to install it later When i get home from work....

It is a good idea using Mod switch. Who ever came up with that is a genius....

Thanks for your time

posted 14 October 2009 08:07 EDT (US)     36 / 90  
Pictures please?
Coming up... You should really get this game, it's better than M2TW.

The Martian Sacred Band skin isn't working I'm afraid, but the other units are okay... at least, they work. I also had to fix the Roman mounted peasants, because they had been mis-categorised.

I'll just do a very brief battle AAR here so you can see the new units.

I decided to do a custom battle to decide my verdict. I take the Britons, and am on the same side as the Egyptians, up against the Julii and the Greeks.

I couldn't resist taking a proud Pretanic lineup, fully upgraded. None of the other factions get any upgrades.

My general engages the Greek bodyguard to keep him out of the way...

While my woad Warriors swamp the Spartan Onagers. There's nothing particularly spectacular about this unit; they look funny when they're moving though.

I send my general forward to scout out the other new units. Here are the Roman Mounted Peasants. They look pretty stupid. Congrats!

But, unfortunately, the Egyptian elephant chariots aren't working.

Our chariots are engaged by that swarm of peasant cavalry...

Fortunately, even those numbers are useless against fully upgraded British warlords. Down goes their general.

The Roman legionaries are left to fight it out with the Egyptian pharaoh's Guards (neither of these units have been modded).

I gatecrash the party by sending in my juggernaut warlord.

I fastforward the chasing down of the fleeing cowards, and am left with this result.

Wasn't that interesting?

So, of the units submitted for the competition:

Occi's Elephant Chariots weren't pulled by elephants.
matt will's Martian Sacred Band's skin didn't work.
EoJ's Spartan Onagers did work.
Mythic_Commodore's Mounted Peasants did work.

I'll just go and see if I can fix up those chariots before I make my decision. Sorry your skin doesn't work, matt will. If you can send me one that does before friday, I will try and take it into account.

EDIT: Nothing I do seems to work for those elephant chariots, Occi. They must need a new model, skin... all sorts. I'm not doing that for you.

/\
/|||| ||||\

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 10-14-2009 @ 08:14 AM).]

posted 14 October 2009 08:54 EDT (US)     37 / 90  
They all worked for me.
posted 14 October 2009 11:37 EDT (US)     38 / 90  
How can that be? When those Mounted Peasants were set to "infantry"? Did you download each one separately and compile them yourself?

Can you give us some screenshots then?

/\
/|||| ||||\

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 10-14-2009 @ 11:37 AM).]

posted 14 October 2009 11:57 EDT (US)     39 / 90  
Due to the fact that RTW can't find the skeleton fs_dagger and I can't be bothered to do a full uninstall/reinstall right now, I can't help you.

My Gondor hotseat campaign. Please Help!

Under the White Tree A Gondor short story on the fall of Minas Tirith.
posted 14 October 2009 20:03 EDT (US)     40 / 90  
My own fault on that one. I forgot to edit the descr_model_battle (too used to Medieval II!) - I've updated the file since if you want to redownload (including a not to the judges stating which parts of the code were part of my original submission, and which were from the update).

Cyclohexane - it's what's for dinner!
posted 14 October 2009 20:38 EDT (US)     41 / 90  
Hello

I have sent my picks to You Husssar...

Thanks for your time...

posted 15 October 2009 10:52 EDT (US)     42 / 90  
Okay, thanks to Hussarknight, everythinbg is now working. Another - very brief - single battle AAR.

I take Carthage; two units of Martian sacred band. I am up against the egyptians, who have a unit of chariots - for some reason misleadingly named "Elephant Chariots" - and one of the elephnat Chariots themselves.

Here are those Martians. Now that is some impressive skinning. Well done!

And here are the Elephant Chariots. Eek!

I am confident my phalanx can withstand a few chariots. But I can't help feeling a little freaked out by those massive elephants. They seem to have the chariot bodies on their backs.

I was seriously scared for a minute. I've never before fully appreciated just how disproportionately massive those Yubtseb elephants are!

My Martian mercenaries are somewhere underneath. Realistically, the battle would be lost by now.

However, the Martians do not play by ordinary rules.

Here they are again, waiting for their giant foes to have fled the battlefield.

Victory for the Poeno-Martian alliance!

/\
/|||| ||||\

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~
posted 15 October 2009 14:49 EDT (US)     43 / 90  
Here are those Martians. Now that is some impressive skinning. Well done!
Thanks for the complement Edorix!
Victory for the Poeno-Martian alliance!
Now that's why its always good to have your elites eaten by Aliens. But honestly I think the Elephant Chariots should be more powerful since I only slightly raised the attack and defence from the origonal Sacred Band. But they kills might have had something to do with the lethality being raised from 1 to 4.

posted 16 October 2009 09:40 EDT (US)     44 / 90  
The ballots are in, the die has been cast.

Third place: draw between EnemyofJupitor with his Spartan Onagers & Mythic_Commodore with his Mounted Peasants

Second place: Occi with his Chariot Elephants

First place: matt will with his Martian Sacred Band.

Congratulations to matt will! Very well done. Please check your e-mail so you can pick the next theme.

Hussarknight
posted 17 October 2009 05:16 EDT (US)     45 / 90  
My compliments to matt will for a very well deserved win.

/\
/|||| ||||\

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~
posted 18 October 2009 12:57 EDT (US)     46 / 90  
It's Sunday again, time to announce the new theme.

The theme for round 2 is: most imaginative but realistic unit. To put it in the words of matt will himself:
Basically you have to make up a unit that could have been around at 270BC but wasn't. You have to make it as imaginative as possible.
The deadline is Sunday 1st of November. I hope to see you all enter.

The jury for this round will consist of Andalus, Mythic_Commodore, Caesar_Hadrianus and Inekadam. Please let me know if you're available to judge the entries between Monday 2nd November and Friday 6th November.

Hussarknight
posted 18 October 2009 13:06 EDT (US)     47 / 90  
Just in case that didn't make it clear here are some examples:
Scythian Arhcers mounted on elephants,
Woad Legionaries.

They can be a cross between cultures if you want.

posted 18 October 2009 14:26 EDT (US)     48 / 90  
Ah,so what you meant was unimaginative and unrealisic but innovative.

I think I've already got a good idea. This could be an opportunity for some good practise for some simple skinning.

/\
/|||| ||||\

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~
posted 19 October 2009 03:59 EDT (US)     49 / 90  
Okay, I've abandoned the skinning thing.

I have finished my entrant; I'll upload it as soon as I get a minute.

EDIT: Okay I've uploaded them. Not sure when they'll show up in the downloads, but in the meantime, I would like to present another single mini-battle AAR.

I took two units of Julii War Chariots. Aren't they great?

I am up against two units of Briton Woad Warriors.

Wow, it's quite scary when you see them charging towards you...

CHAAAAARRRRRGGGGGE!

The carnage from above.

Even the mighty Woad Warriors of the Painted People cannot withstand the might of Roman War Chariots for long! They flee...

...leaving their dead behind.

A victory, naturally.

That's my submission: Roman War Chariots. All the Roman factions have them.

/\
/|||| ||||\

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 10-23-2009 @ 12:32 PM).]

posted 23 October 2009 02:27 EDT (US)     50 / 90  
Ah, looking good!

Caesar_Hadrianus and Inekadam, please let me know if you're available to judge in the designated period or I'll have to pick someone else.

Hussarknight
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Game Modification & Editor Discussion » The Create-A-Unit Competition I
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames