Please login or register

Game Modification & Editor Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Create-A-Unit Competition I
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
posted 06 September 2009 03:40 EDT (US)   
Hi everyone, welcome to the Create-A-Unit competition.

As you can guess from the name, this is a competition to see who can create the best unit within a given theme. So get your thinking hats out, start up your text editor's and get creating!

How it works
On Sunday we will announce the first theme. You then have exactly two weeks to create your unit and submit it to the downloads section.

In the week that follows the closing of the competition the judges will judge all the entries and pick a winner. The results will be announced on Friday. The winner gets bragging rights and he may pick the next theme.

This will then be announced again on Sunday, and the second Create-A-Unit competition will start. It will again last for two weeks followed by one week for judging, and so on, and so on.

The jury
For each round, the jury consists of 4 judges. Two of these will be TWH staff, the other two will be 'normal' forumers. We're looking for four forumers who want to take turns judging the units created. So they judge a round, then they can participate in a round, etc.

If you'd like to be a judge please post in this thread. The first four will be added to the 'jury pool' and will take turns being part of the jury. That way they can also participate in the competition.

If one of the judges can't judge a round one of the other judges from the pool will take his place for that round. In case of a staff judge not being able to judge a round another member of staff will take his place for that round.

Staff judges:
Andalus
Hussarknight
Mythic_Commodore

Non-staff judges:
Edorix
awesomated88
Caesar_Hadrianus
Profile Picture

Rules
  1. In cases not covered by the rules the jury decides what to do.
  2. Entries must be uploaded to the downloads section by Sunday (Forum time, aka EDT), two weeks after the theme has been announced. Entries received after midnight will not be eligible. The added on date shown for all downloads will count as the date the entry is received, even it it is not yet approved.
  3. After submitting your unit to the downloads section you must leave a reply in this thread stating you've entered the competition.
  4. You don't have to sign up in advance, submitting your unit to the downloads section and announcing it here afterwards is enough.
  5. All units must be your own work. You may not use work created by others. You may however use parts of Vanilla units.
  6. One entry per round per person.
  7. Entries must not violate the Code of Conduct
  8. No crying if you don't win, better luck next time!
  9. Have fun!

Round 3
Regional/Mercenary Units
Deadline: Sunday 22nd of November at midnight, forum time.
Judges: Hussarknight, Mythic_Commodore, Caesar_Hadrianus, Profile Picture

Hall of Fame
Round 1: worst combo
matt will, Martian Sacred Band

Round 2: Most imaginative but realistic unit
Sara Gonn, Banshees

Useful links
How to Create a New Unit
Modding units
Downloads section

Hussarknight

[This message has been edited by Hussarknight (edited 11-12-2009 @ 08:38 AM).]

Replies:
posted 28 October 2009 06:47 EDT (US)     51 / 90  
Is mine still the only entry?

Weird how anything that requires a little hard work, however enjoyable, generally comes to nothing on these forums.

/\
/|||| ||||\

EDORIX
~ ancient briton ~
posted 28 October 2009 11:29 EDT (US)     52 / 90  
I'm working on an entry which I'll probably be able to finish on Saturday so you're not alone.

Hussarknight
posted 28 October 2009 14:33 EDT (US)     53 / 90  
Weird how anything that requires a little hard work, however enjoyable, generally comes to nothing on these forums.
Oi, I was in Istanbul, y'know!

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 28 October 2009 16:44 EDT (US)     54 / 90  
You're right; I should have specified. Moderators do tend to work quite hard. The rest of us don't.

/\
/|||| ||||\

EDORIX
~ ancient briton ~
posted 29 October 2009 00:57 EDT (US)     55 / 90  
Long time watcher, first time poster. Will post my entry in just a bit...
posted 29 October 2009 01:27 EDT (US)     56 / 90  
Welcome! I look forward to it.
posted 29 October 2009 04:18 EDT (US)     57 / 90  
I tried posting it, to no success. I had my brother try to post it with his account, and it said that it worked, but I still don't see it up... is there a lag time after you post it?
posted 29 October 2009 05:10 EDT (US)     58 / 90  
Yes, the download admin needs to check it and then give it the green light. It'll be up in a minute, though.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 29 October 2009 07:40 EDT (US)     59 / 90  
Woah!

Banshees?

Ouch, I've got some competition!

/\
/|||| ||||\

EDORIX
~ ancient briton ~
posted 29 October 2009 07:40 EDT (US)     60 / 90  
Is your brother flaviusalberticus? If so, then your entry is now up. I couldn't see anything from your account, though.
posted 29 October 2009 13:22 EDT (US)     61 / 90  
Yeah, thanks! I see it's up too now. There's a text file inside which identifies it, though. Should I re-post it?
posted 29 October 2009 13:41 EDT (US)     62 / 90  
No, what I'll do is edit the download info and change the author. Not everyone realises this, but anyone can actually submit a file under any username, providing it is a valid registered account.

Good work, by the way, they look great.
posted 31 October 2009 03:44 EDT (US)     63 / 90  
Good to see you enter Sara Gonn.

Hussarknight
posted 31 October 2009 07:39 EDT (US)     64 / 90  
My entry is up as well.

Hussarknight
posted 02 November 2009 06:10 EDT (US)     65 / 90  
Entries are now closed for this round. I will put the three submissions in one pack and send them to the judges.
posted 02 November 2009 22:10 EDT (US)     66 / 90  
Hello

Andalus:Please don't forget to send me a copy as i have filled in as a judge for this round!!!

Thanks

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
posted 03 November 2009 02:51 EDT (US)     67 / 90  
The jury for this round will consist of Andalus, Mythic_Commodore, Caesar_Hadrianus and Inekadam.
Although if I receive no response from one of the forumer judges, I will send it to you as another enrolled judge.

[This message has been edited by Andalus (edited 11-03-2009 @ 02:53 AM).]

posted 05 November 2009 04:42 EDT (US)     68 / 90  
Caesar_Hadrianus said he couldn't judge because he's out of town, so I've asked awesometaed to replace him. Haven't heard back from Inekadam at all however so I'd just send him the files and see if he replies. It's not too big a problem if we only have three judges this round, although we will need to find a replacement.

Hussarknight
posted 06 November 2009 18:11 EDT (US)     69 / 90  
Hello

Andalus: I have received your Email But have Received no Attachment... May you please resend The Files.....

Thanks

History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
posted 06 November 2009 18:13 EDT (US)     70 / 90  
Done
posted 06 November 2009 18:24 EDT (US)     71 / 90  
Hello

Received and will install when i get Home.

You will Have my results by 11Pm Forum Time.

Thanks

posted 06 November 2009 21:55 EDT (US)     72 / 90  
Hello

Sorry about the double Post...

Andalus- My picks are sent to you....

Good luck conpetitors!!!

Thanks

posted 06 November 2009 22:00 EDT (US)     73 / 90  
The judges have cast their votes, and the results are as such:

In third place, Edorix with his Roman War Chariots.

In second place, Hussarknight with Berserker Chariots.

And by a unanimous decision, in first place are Sara Gonn's Banshees!

Congratulations to Sara. You may now choose the next theme, so please check your email and reply.
posted 08 November 2009 03:31 EDT (US)     74 / 90  
Aw, well. Mine were the most realistic, anyway.

Good work, Hussarknight and Sara Gonn!

You may wish to update the OP.

/\
/|||| ||||\

EDORIX
~ ancient briton ~
posted 08 November 2009 12:44 EDT (US)     75 / 90  
Well done! Congratulations to Sara Gonn!

Hussarknight
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Game Modification & Editor Discussion » The Create-A-Unit Competition I
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames