You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modification & Editor Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: RTW General and Lesser General culture / texture problem
posted 07 February 2021 07:48 EDT (US)   
Greetings, I am doing a mod on RTW and I have managed to change the culture of Pontus, I have also changed some units of Pontus along with their textures... But the Generals and Lesser Generals of Pontus still remained in the original(so remained in the Eastern texture). I changed the culture of Pontus and some units of the Pontus through the "descr_model_battle.txt", "descr_model_strat.txt" and "descr_sm_factions.txt" files, everything happened but the general's appearance during the war and on the strategy map was still the original view ... Why did this remain like this? I added the texture files to the "models_strat" and "models_unit". (By the way, the name of the mod I made is "UnitedRome" and I do this mode on a folder called "UnitedRome", I do not overwrite the original files of the game. Could it be that the files of my mod and the original files of the game are conflicting? Could the problem be due to this?)
Please help me
Replies:
posted 10 February 2021 12:19 EDT (US)     1 / 7  
I don't think it is the UnitedRome name, though if a user has the UnitedRome mod and it uses Mod:Switch, that might cause a conflict.

More likely the editing of the files did not work out right for the general- have you tried this:
- make a back up of anything you intend to touch, copies of the graphics
-remove the Eastern General tga's, dds's, and other graphic files for the General
-replace them USING THE SAME NAME with your new pics.
save and test

See if that helps.

if it doesn't, you can revert back by removing the new ones and re-inserting the old ones.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
posted 11 February 2021 09:22 EDT (US)     2 / 7  
As you said, I added the files of my mod over the original files of the game. (By the way, since there is no "textures" folder in the models_unit file, I created it and put texture files into it.) I backed up the original files. I ran the game but it didn't work again (So it's the same again, nothing has changed, the generals is still the same)
In the meantime, I made the generals-related texts from the files eastern and changed the name of the texture file to the original(so eastern), but it still didn't.

[This message has been edited by inzibat (edited 02-11-2021 @ 09:25 AM).]

posted 11 February 2021 10:53 EDT (US)     3 / 7  
I've poked around in the models files.

It seems you are right, that there is no textures subfolder under models_unit. But, and this is a big but, all the unit models are directly in the models_unit folder, no subfolder needed.

Models_strat/textures have the tga.dds files for the strategic map.

Also, under data/models, there are CAS files for all the generals- except eastern ones. I think the game chooses the Pontus or Armenian general for Eastern. You might want to check that.

By replacing the model tga.dds files with your files of the same name and type, the game SHOULD call up your images, as the other ones should no longer be available (You did move them out to an /OldFiles folder, yes? ). The alternative is for the game to crash because it did not find what it was looking for. Either way will give you some information on why (I hope).

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
posted 17 February 2021 08:11 EDT (US)     4 / 7  
I finally solved the problem my friend. After making the change about the general from the descr_character file, the problem was resolved. Thank you too. By the way, I want to ask you a question about the mod I made. I created a unified Rome in the mod I did. And the Roman AI only focuses on just Gaul or North of Italy and beyond during the campaign. It never attacks to Apollonia(Greece) and Messelina(Sicily), which are held by the rebels. I put the Roman army near the places I mentioned, brought ships, but it does not get on the ship and does not attack these areas, it only goes to the North and focuses only on Gaul and North. I try everything but it doesn't work ... How do I direct Rome's artificial intelligence?
posted 17 February 2021 12:06 EDT (US)     5 / 7  
It sounds like when you merged into one faction, you merged into the Julii.

Their goals are now the only ones taken.

I found at the bottom of the descr_strat file in the campaigns folder a section for core_attitudes. Here, the higher the number, the more likely the faction is to attack the ones on the right side of the number.

Maybe that can help direct the forces?

I am sure there is some file somewhere directing the Julii into Gaul, the Scipii against Carthage, and the Brutii against Greece, but cannot find it now. Sorry.

posted 22 February 2021 11:58 EDT (US)     6 / 7  
Was my suggestion about changing/editing the core attitudes helpful?

posted 25 February 2021 02:57 EDT (US)     7 / 7  
Alternately, if changing the core attitudes doesn't seem to work, you could merge the other Roman factions into the Scipii; they go for Sicily and then Carthage- and even Greece sometimes.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Total War Heaven » Forums » Game Modification & Editor Discussion » RTW General and Lesser General culture / texture problem
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames